stock outboard engine rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Greene

okay Ron- here ya go .

Now - in the other thread you said-

"Andy,

You can't ask why rules exist, but change them if you dont like them. I know this all too well....."

Ron maybe(obviously) you misunderstand my statement- The rules read STOCK -yes?

Does that also include the color of the part?

I understand the ease of looking at a blue jacket -but saying-

" The head and cooling jacket were silver. OS only makes blue." and follow it by -"It was not a stock OS setup"

How does anyone know that ??? If in fact it was not checked ???

Do the rules say " you cannot alter the color of a STOCK part ? I guess the bottom line in my book is- if someone protests my stuff- they best be ready to PROVE me wrong . Not just an assumption based on the color of the part- unless the rule clearly reads that specifically. Its not changing part of a rule cause we dont like it- Its asking for clear cut specifics within the given rule-

But you know that pretty well too dont ya :huh:

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following this one since yesterday...

The rules state no exterior mods correct? Mods to most anyone would be ANYTHING cosmetic or power related I would think. If so, then why would you even get on here and act like its OK to break them. Why don't the protested work to change that rule so the mod is allowable. I have been told this same problem came up at the World Tunnel Champs and obviously the guilty party chose to leave it as a "modified-cosmetically" engine (I'm sure its just hearsay, but if its true then you did this to yourself). Seems like correcting the issue would do better than getting upset and ruining friendships over toy boats, right? You got caught with your pants down, simple as that.

What's worse is saying you just don't want D-12 guys around anymore. Whats up with that? I will remember that the next time to Duncan family calls me to give them advise on how to get the rocker out of the bottom of their brand new Vision hull right before the WTC....See if I will be so willing to help next time. Yeah, I appreciate your comments...yet another reason I am disgusted reading anything outboard related these days. Its always some kind of bickering that honestly leaves a lot of newcomers just wanting to do something else.

Mike

Drewski,

Its a slippery slope, IMPBA vs NAMBA... Namba says stock is stock, so the fine line starts.BUT , shouldn't that mean that you have to use the plastic prop that comes with it? IMPBA says no-go carby and exh. outlets, otherwise wide open, with exceptions as noted in rulebook.

This means the shootout later in the year is gonna be? My headache has already started.Stock is what you know, or better yet, what you can or cannot prove.

Funny how rules only get enforced when your winning. Nice if we had a prerace inspection rather than tossing someone for something that has no racing advantage. Common sense has no part in rules. Tollerance varies from race sites and CD's. I don't think Jimmy will used a polished waterjacket again but I bet he'll keep winning. Maybe we should not keep score and just give everyone a baloon and a sucker after the race. :eek:

Mic

Per the current IMPBA Rule Book, H-11 - Sport Outboard Tunnel Rules: Engine Specifications

Engine Specifications

1. Engines must be standard factory production with a minimum of 100 units

available for sale to the general public. To be eligible for the International

Regatta the engines must have been offered for sale to the general public not

less than ninety (90) days prior to that year's International Regatta.

2. The powerhead and lower unit must be of the same manufacturer and model.

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured within

series except as shown in Part 4. Clarification: No water-cooled engine parts

shall be used with air-cooled engine parts. Common engine parts that are

used on both engines models may be interchanged. Slide valve exhaust

adapters may not be used with carburetor equipped engines.

4. The following exceptions will be allowed in the Sport Outboard Tunnel

specifications.

a. Adhesives (loctite), set screws and jam nuts.

b. Any carb linkage arms.

c. Any motor mount.

d. Any glow plug, fuel brand and mixture.

e. Any type steering arm.

f. Any flywheel nut.

g. The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened

or polished. No material shall be added to the lower unit.

h. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original

needle valve must remain in its original position.

If you're going by the IMPBA rule book, the first sentence of section 3 clarifies this issue.

Dean

Pre-race inspections are a great idea Mic. But remember, Kevin lodged his protest with at least one or two heats remaining because thats the protest procedure outlined in the rule book. If you want to change the protest procedure, go ahead. Until then, boaters should continue to lodge their protests during the race as the rules permit. If we are not going to follow the rules why even have them????? Then it will be a free for all at the races. But if you want to maintain the integrity of this sport, follow the rules and accept when you have been caught with your pants down, and return the next time with a legal boat. This was an IMPBA race so those rules applied. Since Jimmy admitted he ran this setup at the WTC I think John should strip him of his place, whatever it was, and give it to the next person in line........ :eek:

Guys please keep it civil and leave the axes in shed. ;)

And I will say that removing anodizing from a cooling jacket can alter thermal transfer properties, proved that to myself many years ago. :)

Have fun fellas........

Per the current IMPBA Rule Book, H-11 - Sport Outboard Tunnel Rules: Engine Specifications

Engine Specifications

1. Engines must be standard factory production with a minimum of 100 units

available for sale to the general public. To be eligible for the International

Regatta the engines must have been offered for sale to the general public not

less than ninety (90) days prior to that year's International Regatta.

2. The powerhead and lower unit must be of the same manufacturer and model.

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured within

series except as shown in Part 4. Clarification: No water-cooled engine parts

shall be used with air-cooled engine parts. Common engine parts that are

used on both engines models may be interchanged. Slide valve exhaust

adapters may not be used with carburetor equipped engines.

4. The following exceptions will be allowed in the Sport Outboard Tunnel

specifications.

a. Adhesives (loctite), set screws and jam nuts.

b. Any carb linkage arms.

c. Any motor mount.

d. Any glow plug, fuel brand and mixture.

e. Any type steering arm.

f. Any flywheel nut.

g. The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened

or polished. No material shall be added to the lower unit.

h. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original

needle valve must remain in its original position.

If you're going by the IMPBA rule book, the first sentence of section 3 clarifies this issue.

Dean
Yep, only work allowed is below the cavitation plate. The rest of the engine's external parts must remain as originally manufactured. Case closed. Replace the head and cap with a stock OS part and come back next time..... ;)

I just don’t see removing coatings as a exception to the IMPBA sport tunnel rule set.

And again there is that oho so important word again.. sport..

Grim

Ron, you could not have said that better..

Yup rules are rules but please refer to this class as written SPORT B TUNNEL stock is a dirty word and no its not for beginners. B Sport is as tough a class as any worse than most

Pre-race inspections are a great idea Mic. But remember, Kevin lodged his protest with at least one or two heats remaining because thats the protest procedure outlined in the rule book. If you want to change the protest procedure, go ahead. Until then, boaters should continue to lodge their protests during the race as the rules permit. If we are not going to follow the rules why even have them????? Then it will be a free for all at the races. But if you want to maintain the integrity of this sport, follow the rules and accept when you have been caught with your pants down, and return the next time with a legal boat. This was an IMPBA race so those rules applied. Since Jimmy admitted he ran this setup at the WTC I think John should strip him of his place, whatever it was, and give it to the next person in line........ :eek:
I guess since Jay took second in sport/b at the WTC I should bite here. I can't speak definatively for Jay but I don't think he would accept the World Championship in this case. Jimmy won that race with driving and setup not with an illegal head cover. Yes rules should be enforced. It is the selective enforcement that sours it. JMO

Mic

Drewski,

Its a slippery slope, IMPBA vs NAMBA... Namba says stock is stock, so the fine line starts.BUT , shouldn't that mean that you have to use the plastic prop that comes with it? IMPBA says no-go carby and exh. outlets, otherwise wide open, with exceptions as noted in rulebook.

This means the shootout later in the year is gonna be? My headache has already started.Stock is what you know, or better yet, what you can or cannot prove.
If you are racing in an IMPBA race then you should adhere to the IMPBA rulebook. It doesn't matter if the boat is NAMBA legal. You should know the rules of the organization that is holding the race and follow them.

Mic I have nothing but respect for you and Jay. You guys are strait up hard nosed racers. The kind we like to run against.

Keep the DUNCAN FAMILY out of this. I am the one racing I'm the one that got DQed I'm the one with the problem. You can address your comments to me.

If mr shaw wants to get the award from the WTC he can call me and come get it. Ron you insult my integrity as a person and call me a swore looser, and make it sound like I'm the biggest cheater out there. Yet you can't call me man to man.

Now my understanding of the rules is there cant be a scratch on any part of the engine above the cav plate as it would be a mod. It has to be pristine out of the box condition.

Mic I have nothing but respect for you and Jay. You guys are strait up hard nosed racers. The kind we like to run against.

Keep the DUNCAN FAMILY out of this. I am the one racing I'm the one that got DQed I'm the one with the problem. You can address your comments to me.

If mr shaw wants to get the award from the WTC he can call me and come get it. Ron you insult my integrity as a person and call me a swore looser, and make it sound like I'm the biggest cheater out there. Yet you can't call me man to man.

Now my understanding of the rules is there cant be a scratch on any part of the engine above the cav plate as it would be a mod. It has to be pristine out of the box condition.
Jimmy,

We are all trying to keep this an open and civil discussion between us boaters. Don reiterated this earlier. The Stock OB Class needs some work obviously and this thread is for that reason. If you only had a scratch on your engine, we would not be having this discussion. This is not a personal attack on you. I would recommend you not make a personal attack on me. The forum moderators have the ability and means to kick people off of IW for doing just what you are doing. I have no reason to call you so if you are waiting for the phone to ring from me, you will be waiting until the 2013 Grand Prix Race. The WTC award is up to the CMB Club. If they want you to keep it, that's up to them.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but we need to keep it civil :eek:

And I will say that removing anodizing from a cooling jacket can alter thermal transfer properties, proved that to myself many years ago. :)

Have fun fellas........
Thank you for clarifying that Don. I wasnt sure.

Andy

I will tell you all flat out right that nothing will be changed for the past WTC race standings. It was not brought up as an issue AT THE RACE and it is now water under the bridge. That will end the discussion on that subject, period.

We/I did not do a tech inspection at the WTC race but now looks like we will have to do it for all upcoming races in the future. The CMB club has the Grand Prix race in Sept and the Fall Nationals in Oct and it will be done at both. That will include the go/no go gauge tests for carb bore mods and exhaust mods.

The rules says that the engine MUST be in the factory stock "appearing condition". Removing or altering ANY anodized part is a modification. I honestly do not worry about the K&B gold headed OB flywheel being worn and some of the gold is missing. That comes from use only. I bounced an engine a couple of years ago that had an alteration to a gold carb bore and had to be changed, I have recently been flagged about some possible mixing of OS OB mufflers, heads and water jackets between the water cooled and the air cooled engines. If that has been done, the boat will be immediately DQ'd for the race.

I am firmly convinced that Jimmy thought that the polished head did not meet the criteria of a mod. I know him well enough to know that was the case and had nothing malicious in mind. People have different views of what is correct or not. He is not a cheat and is welcome at any CMB race.

beatingadeadhorse.gif

just saying lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back