Still Scratchbuilding??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Hahn

Call me old school.............I still like building whether from wood, carbon, glass or all three.

if anyone has scale build projects in the works or has asperations. post your pix here I'd like to see em!

I'd like to see more variety at the races out here in the mid west and building is often the only way to get that.

just nibbing :p

gh

my Qatar boat off of Dave V's numbers..............

DSC_0045 - Copy.JPGDSC_0044 - Copy.JPG

I didnt want to be the first to comment, but come on this is really really nice work! Im sorry i couldnt resist. Awesome Greg, really clean guy.

Hugh

Last edited:
Hey Greg,

Scratch building is the only way to fly. I built Comet airplane kits as a kid - had my fill of balsa stringers, so I only build WOF (Wood Over Foam) Scale and Sport 40 hulls. Here are the last two I've built. MHR 8255 1983 U-40 Miss Houston, an a strange one: MHR 6466 U-66 Miss Liberty (the last of the Garage built Detroit Unlimiteds) CHEERS !!! Bob

Greg, your a master at building. After 20+ years of racing I'm finally going to run 1/8 scale( 2007 Oberto in my avitar). The crew have been breaking my stones cause I been working on this for 3 years. :D Tri-wing Pit Stop. WOOD IS GOOD B) ==={}

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments Hugh, just got a good start on it, building from raw numbers and scaleing down is a challenge!

Bob and Ray beautiful work! love the woodies and ray built one of the toughest ones! hope they both run great! they should they'll be light on the water.

Ray I better get to run with it in Hobart!

thanks guys keep em comin..................got wood............ :D

Thanks for the comments Hugh, just got a good start on it, building from raw numbers and scaleing down is a challenge!

Bob and Ray beautiful work! love the woodies and ray built one of the toughest ones! hope they both run great! they should they'll be light on the water.

Ray I better get to run with it in Hobart!

thanks guys keep em comin..................got wood............ :D
Nails and Hammer have our rooms booked for Hobart, be great to see you again. B)

Scratch building is the only way to go on a scale, that way you can build it up with the balance in mind. I frame the center section and lay up the sponsons, decks, bottom and cowl and then assy it all together. I have no lead in this boat for balance.

Tide5.jpg

Tide4.jpg

Tide3.jpg

Tide2.jpg

Tide1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Pat. I have also learned that scratch/plans building facilitates revisions to the original design in ways that kits and glass hulls can't. To improve aerodynamics and the ability to use higher powered nitro motors, I've started changing the bottom profile of my boats from how Roger Newton drew the plans to a more scale design. To do the same with a kit or glass hull would require a complete "kitbashing" or major rework to accomplish. I'll post some pictures of some of my under construction hulls later

I have to agree with Pat. I have also learned that scratch/plans building facilitates revisions to the original design in ways that kits and glass hulls can't. To improve aerodynamics and the ability to use higher powered nitro motors, I've started changing the bottom profile of my boats from how Roger Newton drew the plans to a more scale design. To do the same with a kit or glass hull would require a complete "kitbashing" or major rework to accomplish. I'll post some pictures of some of my under construction hulls later
yes, molds require things like draft, corners and seams that don't bode well with getting the steps right on the ride pads and also makes certain profiles difficult or impossible, glass wings too, are silly heavy. Also unless you're able to install formers and get structure into the layup you normally end up with a hull that in my opine is too flexible, even with carbon fiber. Personally I like a more rigid hull.

2cents

gh

Scratch building is the only way to go on a scale, that way you can build it up with the balance in mind. I frame the center section and lay up the sponsons, decks, bottom and cowl and then assy it all together. I have no lead in this boat for balance.
****! nice Tide Pat!

Last edited:
Hey Greg,

Scratch building is the only way to fly. I built Comet airplane kits as a kid - had my fill of balsa stringers, so I only build WOF (Wood Over Foam) Scale and Sport 40 hulls. Here are the last two I've built. MHR 8255 1983 U-40 Miss Houston, an a strange one: MHR 6466 U-66 Miss Liberty (the last of the Garage built Detroit Unlimiteds) CHEERS !!! Bob
really unique design there Das

Sometimes you really have to search for an unusual project. Real style and grace - pulled out the stops to make this hull a thing of beauty - Har, Har !!! I didn't figure there would be many around like it, but I would have been wrong.

Thanks to Rod Geraghty. CHEERS !!! Bob

****! nice Tide Pat!
Thanks, not bad for a 6 week build start to finish. My wife thought she was going to have to post my photo on a milk carton to see me again..

David Hall has a scale boat that he got from Rod Gerhaty like the Mis Liberty. He doesn't run it very much though.

Sometimes you really have to search for an unusual project. Real style and grace - pulled out the stops to make this hull a thing of beauty - Har, Har !!! I didn't figure there would be many around like it, but I would have been wrong.

Thanks to Rod Geraghty. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Bill,

Rod told me that David Hall has his Liberty when he and I were talking some time back. Looks like I'm at least. in good company.

I had a Friend in Florida - Dave Berry brought this one to my attention, and he was going to build one, so I decided - What the heck - I had a 2 X 10 and some 2 X 4s laying around, and Dave sent an old cowl that I modified and made a mold of for two cowls. I kept thinking the thing would start lookin' better, but this one is Ugly, clear down to the bone - Har, Har !!! Roy Munoz just asked me when I was going to install all the screws the real one had exposed. Real boat looked like it was made using an erector set, and pieces and parts from a junk yard dog. It is however - Red, White and Blue, and that's good enough for me. I have an 1/8th scale MHR 6402 U-2 Miss US 5 in the works. When painted, I'll put them side by side with caption: "Beauty and the Beast" - - - Har, Har !!!

Here are two of the other Detroit garage built Unlimiteds for the sake of info. I think I chose the "purdiest one" Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Ray,

I'm thinkin' they only had one oar in the water/playing solitaire with a deck of 51 - Har, Har !!! Where's your sense of adventure, Ray ??? Har., Har !!! Looks like it spent a lot of time at the end of a tow rope.

The 5736 U-36 Miss US IV built by Henry Lauterbach has been restored and they are planning to run her at Vintage races. There is an article in the new APBA Propeller. If I thought I could find some decent drawings, I'd build one for Gas Scale class and drop this RCMK K30 RZ I have into it. 55.15 - 57.65 inches long is a lot of hull to carry around however. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Ray,

I'm thinkin' they only had one oar in the water/playing solitaire with a deck of 51 - Har, Har !!! Where's your sense of adventure, Ray ??? Har., Har !!! Looks like it spent a lot of time at the end of a tow rope.

The 5736 U-36 Miss US IV built by Henry Lauterbach has been restored and they are planning to run her at Vintage races. There is an article in the new APBA Propeller. If I thought I could find some decent drawings, I'd build one for Gas Scale class and drop this RCMK K30 RZ I have into it. 55.15 - 57.65 inches long is a lot of hull to carry around however. CHEERS !!! Bob
Adventure and a death wish are two different things.Har. Har!!! ;)

Hey Everyone, I'm not sure these are scratch built, but the bench is crowded with wood builds in my shop. The roundnose is a 1/12 Miss K+ kit I'm building as the Redman and the pickleforked boat is a new prototype 1/12 kit modeled after the AVL I'm assembling for Doug Campbell.

DSCF2012.JPGDSCF2009.JPGDSCF2011.JPG

Wood is Good, but sanding sucks!

Scott

Back