Miss Vegas speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Moore

Just checking to see what some of you guys have gotten as far as speed out of the Miss Vegas regular or Deuce. I know that my Stock Aquamarine .18 is at 34.5 mph (GPS) and my buddys 18 cvr Deuce is 42.6 mph (GPS). I have yet to stick the GPS unit into my Deuce with the higly mod'd (hydro-rob motor) OS 18tz but it is a bit faster than the crv.

Figured I would try and get some discussion in the rtr section since there has not been much chatter.

Last edited by a moderator:
with my modded aqua engines in a gen 1 vegas... ive run from 46mph-49mph on gps..... i typically dont like using the gps unless running straight lines...... these speeds have a ton to do with the setup of the hull,,pipe,,and the prop... ive seen people up in the low 50's with the o.s tz engines...... it is an engine ive strived to beat with an aqua with no avail.... close but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades......

alden

Last year, I slapped an O.S.RX .21 engine in my Deuce and got to 52mph. A little too much for this hull...

with my modded aqua engines in a gen 1 vegas... ive run from 46mph-49mph on gps..... i typically dont like using the gps unless running straight lines...... these speeds have a ton to do with the setup of the hull,,pipe,,and the prop... ive seen people up in the low 50's with the o.s tz engines...... it is an engine ive strived to beat with an aqua with no avail.... close but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades......

alden
Whats the biggest thing you can do to a Aquamarine engine? In stock form it leaves lots to be desired but is 100% reliable when it comes to stating it.

Last year, I slapped an O.S.RX .21 engine in my Deuce and got to 52mph. A little too much for this hull...
I am having a feeling that mid 50's is going to be as much as these hulls can take. Even with 6 oz of weight on the front it wants to fly with any kinda of wind.

simplest way to say this,,is there is no one thing....there isnt a part on that engine that i dont touch...

machined button/ head clearance set at .008"

raised port timing

increased induction timing

rods are cross drilled in the big end

case is opened up in the rear transfer

pto pin machined off the crank

standard cvrm back plate installed

inlet tract of carb shortened

throttle barrel orfice matched to carb body

outlet throat is belled out..

carb screws are spaced out to not enter the outlet tract...

the cross drilling of the rod is to prevent breakage of the rod and crank...the oil hole is in the wrong spot from the factory imo.....

you will notice the gen 1 hull will take speed better as it packs less air than the duece...

alden

Sounds like a bit much for my hammer and drill set. LOL
what, no files :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: ?

lol... :lol: ........

chris,,,, the pto crank pin can be ground off on a bench grinder,, the cvrm back plate has a slight lip on the foward side of the o-ring groove... this lip can be hand filed off,, dremeled off..... after the removal of the lip the back plate will slide right in... use the o-ring for the cvrm on the plate,,and also use the factory aqua back plate gasket to provide a couple extra thou. of clearance..... it also will help if you take fine sand paper,,,like 800 grit,,wet or dry,,, and sand the face of the back plate smooth...(face being the side that faces the crank pin)....this also provides a couple thou. of extra clearance... basicaly you need to have the sleeve pulled out and look into the case through the sleeve bore of the case.... have a collet tightened down on the flywheel... now see if the crank walk allows the crank pin to hit the back plate,,,if it does,, you need to take a hair more off the plate,,,or stack another back plate gasket on the one thats there..... the pin should just miss the back plate even with pressure on the crank.... This mod will free up a bunch of power and spool time will be way faster....

if you feel you want to mod that engine,,,, and dont have the time or means,,, just send it to me and ill take care of it for you..... ;)

Alden

I may have to get a hold of you in the next couple weeks to get one of them modified. I have one coming form Rhonda (Robert) Pickard but its delayed with everything they have going on (hope she is still on the way to recovery) so I will see what that one is all about when I run it.

Sounds like a bit much for my hammer and drill set. LOL
what, no files :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: ?

lol... :lol: ........

chris,,,, the pto crank pin can be ground off on a bench grinder,, the cvrm back plate has a slight lip on the foward side of the o-ring groove... this lip can be hand filed off,, dremeled off..... after the removal of the lip the back plate will slide right in... use the o-ring for the cvrm on the plate,,and also use the factory aqua back plate gasket to provide a couple extra thou. of clearance..... it also will help if you take fine sand paper,,,like 800 grit,,wet or dry,,, and sand the face of the back plate smooth...(face being the side that faces the crank pin)....this also provides a couple thou. of extra clearance... basicaly you need to have the sleeve pulled out and look into the case through the sleeve bore of the case.... have a collet tightened down on the flywheel... now see if the crank walk allows the crank pin to hit the back plate,,,if it does,, you need to take a hair more off the plate,,,or stack another back plate gasket on the one thats there..... the pin should just miss the back plate even with pressure on the crank.... This mod will free up a bunch of power and spool time will be way faster....

if you feel you want to mod that engine,,,, and dont have the time or means,,, just send it to me and ill take care of it for you..... ;)

Alden
Alden is the best at making the cheap engines contenders!!!! He has done a lot of work for me and have never been dissapointed!!!!

lol... idk about the best,,, but i can make them run..... ;) ..... thanks for the kind words son....... :D

If anyone needs parts for this motor, I have some I need to get rid of (carbs, new cranks, blocks, lots of other misc.). Not running the aq .18 anymore and they are just taking up room on the shelf.

Ive got to get in on this.......sent two of my Aqua motors to Alden awhile back.... gottem back, put one in my Vegas, and won the 2011 Winternats....i could not believe how well he could make a 52.00 motor run.....and STAY TOGETHER.....what a cheap way to have FUN! Yes......camaroboy383 can make cheap stuff RUN! IM JUST SAYIN! :)

bill im glad to hear from you buddy...the proof is in the pudding i guess..and it seems bill has pudding...lol...all joking aside,, bill has stuck by my engines in his vegas for a long time now,,and they work for him,,very well actually..thanks for chiming in bill,,always good to hear from u ole buddy..i hope things are getting back to some what normal for you my friend..loosing sombody you have known forever is very hard...keep truckin bill,,you know where to find me if you need anything....

jeff,,, id be interested in the cranks,,head buttons,,and any new rods or bearings you have....things are kinda tight right this minute,, but i would be interested...

I have this thing for making the under dog engines perform...its gratifying to see them run with big dollar engines..somthing jerry and i had in common...its somthing i will continue to do until life wont let me...

alden

bill im glad to hear from you buddy...the proof is in the pudding i guess..and it seems bill has pudding...lol...all joking aside,, bill has stuck by my engines in his vegas for a long time now,,and they work for him,,very well actually..thanks for chiming in bill,,always good to hear from u ole buddy..i hope things are getting back to some what normal for you my friend..loosing sombody you have known forever is very hard...keep truckin bill,,you know where to find me if you need anything....

jeff,,, id be interested in the cranks,,head buttons,,and any new rods or bearings you have....things are kinda tight right this minute,, but i would be interested...

I have this thing for making the under dog engines perform...its gratifying to see them run with big dollar engines..somthing jerry and i had in common...its somthing i will continue to do until life wont let me...

alden
Alden, you have a pm regarding parts. Not expecting tons of cash, just need to get them out of the shop.

Finally got some video of my MVD 52.4 mph on the gps today with cross wind, so it may still be a bit faster. When the wind changes it gets squirrely (see half way through the video) and it is way out of the water not like our other MV's that are slower at that speed it really acts like it could take off with a little up elevator haha. This is hydrorobs old boat so it was setup proper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQw0KPjaZw8

chris,,, you should wram the boat up on land,,, then make a straight line pass,,,, slow in the beginning,,then jam the throttle and then leave room to slow down while still going straight.... and mill back to land with no sudden turns...... see what the gps says then,, thats the true test,,, and to back it up you should slap it with a radar gun on the same pass..... gps can do funny things in a little boat that turns real fast.....what engine is that??

If thats robs old stuff hitting those speeds its a water cooled (by yours truly lol) and modded OS TZ 18 ---Id trust GPS numbers over radar pending the placement of the GPS

Its a hydrorob special os 18tz with the water head. Its got all kinds of work done to it. It has so much compression my hand starter will stop if any fuel is given having to back off the glow plug it start it. Don't have a radar gun and I will do the straight line runs next weekend, unfortunately the video guy shut down before we could get the cover off to see the gps.

(GPS is on top of the radio box Velcro and clear packing taped)

Alden this boat does not mill for anything LOL its either half throttle bogging or full out. 5 secs of anything less it dies.

The rigger is way faster since I replaced the front bearing. I gotta get the gps on that one again also.

Stalker Pro Radar over GPS any day.

I think you will find with GPS many other variables that affect the readings.

Stalker Pro is accurate to .10 MPH

Nice running boat

Have Fun Testing,

Mark

Back