ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Instruction manual has been started. Please check this link:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?32580-ML-Boatworks-Sport-12-20-20L-and-40-Hydroplane-Online-Instruction-manual

Well, some have been following the progression of the new sport 20 hydroplane I just finished designing, and started building last night. This will be another hull I hope to get into production within the next month. The kit will include all framing and sheeting, cowling, and instruction manual. I am also doing a documentary on the build and as I get time, a basic full build manual will be right here. I also have a waiting list for this boat in built form. I will transfer that list to this thread as well. I have most of the first hull built. Epoxied the interior this evening and added carbon fiber throughout. As soon as that drys, the top decks will be added and the hull itself will be finished. I will next start designing the cowling plug. Below are some pics from earlier today to give you a general idea of what the hull will look like. This hull is being designed mainly for P-limited use, but with the gracious amount of interior space, a full P setup should not be to much of an issue. This hull is 31" in length and around 16" wide. I also plan on a 33.5" version specifically for full P power, and for Q/Sport 40 a 39" version. If this hull performs like I feel like it will, the latter two designs will get moved forward very soon. Enjoy the pics. More info, and updates to follow. Mike, ML Boatworks

From Concept, to CADD, to laser cut kit:

sport20-1.jpg

DSCF3218.jpg

DSCF3219.jpg

DSCF3220.jpg

DSCF3223.jpg

DSCF3224.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Great work and craftmanship as always. Keep up the great work.

I really like the drop sponson design.

Bert Dygert

Thanks guys, let me give credit where credit is due. The boat started life as the U-21 Eliminator unlimited, then got changes to make it actually appealing. The underside air break can be accredited to someone else, but I would want to ask him if its OK to disclose his name first. The rest is just from listening to people that have been there and done that, and using those learnings to make what should be a decent running boat. Thanks for all the kind comments, as usual, being surrounded by those that have years of experience has really helped so thanks to those people! Mike

Thanks guys, let me give credit where credit is due. The boat started life as the U-21 Eliminator unlimited, then got changes to make it actually appealing. The underside air break can be accredited to someone else, but I would want to ask him if its OK to disclose his name first. The rest is just from listening to people that have been there and done that, and using those learnings to make what should be a decent running boat. Thanks for all the kind comments, as usual, being surrounded by those that have years of experience has really helped so thanks to those people! Mike
Mike,

What are you going to be asking for an un-built kit? I like what I see there.

And when do you think the kits will be ready for sale?

The boat started life as the U-21 Eliminator unlimited, then got changes to make it actually appealing.
Looked it up... Yup... I can totally see that! You work quickly, my friend... I would love to have the software and the time to draw things up like this! Great work!!

eleminator+hydro.jpg
151-a.jpg

Mike's work is absolutely FIRST RATE and there are NO disappointments with his kits, I have two going together right now with more on the way. It's a pleasure helping someone who has the desire to produce nothing but the best and I will continue to assist Mike in any way I can on future projects. Anyone sharing the love for scale and sport hulls can appreciate the shot in the arm Mike's kits have given us. BIG THANKS to Spooner, you da man! :)

True words spoken right there Don. If it wasn't for Mike and his kits alot of us would still be thinking about building wooden scales. They really have changed the game for the sport and got alot more of us of our butts and actually building.

Thanks also to all those like Don and Joe Wiebelhaus for posting their build progressions so that we can all learn as well.

Thank you very much guys. Its people like you that give me the drive to get projects like this going. Since I was laid off 4 months ago and decided to pursue boat building/ kit design, I have been happier than I ever have in my life. I think a lot of that is because of the honesty, weather its good or bad, and the praise when things go well that the boating community has given me. Its something for 14 years at an engineering firm I never got, even tho our team consistantly made more money every year than anyone else. It beats you up mentally and physically.

The sharing of ideas, passing on knowledge from the older crowd to the younger guys is why things like this should, and will work. I know I have minimal boating experience, not because I don't want to race, but because of time and the almighty dollar, but everyone of my kits has a piece of someone's knowledge built in. If it were not for the Dick Loeb's, Doug Smock's, Don Ferrette's, Kentley Porter's, Joe Wiebelhaus, Russ Neiquiet's (spelling, sorry!), Ron Shaw's, Fred Olsen's, David Newton's and most of all Roger Newton's, nothing I have tried to do would have been possible. Sorry to break all that down, but it means a lot to me.

Anyways....Here are some more pics! Got the carbon installed, foam inside, aluminum backing for the skid fin and top decks done. Now the hull just needs bonding, external epoxy, and hardware. Some of the hardware is on the way, the skid fin will be probably the last thing to arrive, but Dick Tyndall is working hard on getting that handled! Just weighted the hull like it sits, and its 2lbs, 4oz, which I think is very acceptable. It also ended up 31 1/4" length, 16 1/8" wide. Enjoy, Mike

DSCF3225.jpg

DSCF3228.jpg

DSCF3229.jpg

DSCF3230.jpg

DSCF3232.jpg

Oh, and for those like Rick asking about price. I still need to get the cowling plug built, and ready for vacuum forming, and this boat needs to be tested!!!! Looks are great, but it had better perform. I think it would be safe to say kits, pending testing, could be in as little as a months time??? If its works out well, then those who want to get building, I can work out getting you the kit, and when the cowling is ready, just ship those separate. I will say this, the kit price will be competitive to the other wood sport 20 kits on the market as that is my main goal. I also have a build list for the boat, so I will be building these for those that need that service. This boat should be very easy to run with a .21 nitro, or FE. Thanks

Mike,

Rick, should I be gathering up the piece parts for your first FE boat? :p ;)

Mike, the boat looks great and thanks for the kind words.

D.

mike,

beautiful hull. those sloped sponson decks are perfect.

please scale it up to 46 inches for a gas sport hydro and i'll take the first one.

thank you

Mike, that is a very nice looking design. I like the nice roomy interior, something that is lacking in many Sport 20 boats. You electric guys should be able to stuff enough batteries in that hull to light up a small community. Nitro lovers like myself should have no problem routing a 180 degree exhaust under the cowl, with room enough to run a front or rear radio box. :D

Mike,

Rick, should I be gathering up the piece parts for your first FE boat? :p ;)

Mike, the boat looks great and thanks for the kind words.

D.
No Sir,,,,, I need my boats to make an oily mess, and make noise!!!! If I can't hear it,,, I'll never know how it's running???

Mike, how about a scaled down sport 12 version? I know we have talked about this before and I just haven't made the time to give you any suggestions on diminsions. Off the top of my head I'm thinking something around 27-28" long. With the right size wood (lots of 1/32 and 1/64) do you think you can get a bare hull to come out around 1 lb (RTR weight needs to be around 2lbs).

All of your work looks awesome! I'm really happy that your new life is treating you so good!

Glenn

Glenn, That sounds like a cool idea. Is there much interest for boats that size? 2lb seems a bit on the light side of things once you add cowling, hardware, motor,fuel, etc. Is that what is required of them to run properly? Let me know, Mike

Glenn, That sounds like a cool idea. Is there much interest for boats that size? 2lb seems a bit on the light side of things once you add cowling, hardware, motor,fuel, etc. Is that what is required of them to run properly? Let me know, Mike
Mike, no body really knows if there is much interest...there are no good boats available! I started out with one of Brian Buaas' cool little shovel nose hydros and although it runs great, it is just too small. The ready to run weight on it is about 2 lbs.

A bit more weight wouldn't kill it, but with so little torque to play with the weight really impacts the performance.

Let me know if this is something you want to do and we can talk over the details.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Glenn

Sounds Fine Glenn. Talk soon about it.

Got all the hardware fitted, motor/ controller mounted, and a cowling designed. I decided on a two piece hatch so the front will allow the racer access to all electronics, and the propshaft collet without having to remove the rear hatch after each race. As you can see, there is a load of room. Just awaiting a Tyndall turn fin so I can begin testing. Mike

DSCF3243.jpg

DSCF3242.jpg

DSCF3244.jpg

DSCF3245.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

I stopped by Mike's to pick up my Gas 480 Tunnel yesterday that he painted for me, and he let me hold this 20 sport beauty in my hands. It's even more awesome in person. The pics really do not do this boat justice. I have no doubt that this will be the hull to have in all of the Sport Classes when Mike finishes all of his designs and testing. I have never owned a sport hydro but holding this design in my hands aready has me thinking!!!!.............. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back