Did the Brits Invent the Outrigger?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Petro

From Sir Malcomb Campbell in 1955.

Looks an awful lot like my Pinkert Coyote... :) :rolleyes:

Joe

bluebird_ullswater_july_1955_3.jpg

Fiirst outrigger hydro was patented by Thomas Alva Lake of Milford Ct. in 1932.

There were quite a number of forward thinking designs from the 1920's thru the 40's.

The forward sponsons on Lake's design had hydraulic levers on them so that the angle of the sponsons could be changed while running.

I think you may want to look at the Pacific forefathers who used outriggers to traverse between land masses. These were wind powered and who knows how fast they went in the trade winds. :rolleyes:

I think it was the chinese who first put outriggers on the front of a motor boat. They filled the front of the suicide boats with explosives but the front kept going under water, so they fitted skis to the front to keep the nose up.

The term came from the extra sponsons or pontoons used on small narrow canoe style boats for stability. They have been used for hundreds of years. I wonder who was the first to used these sponsons under power to lift the tub (center section) completely out of the water.....

Latest posts

Back