2.4 ghz vs 27 0r 75mhz

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapsgixxer

hey guys still running 27 mhz , need a new radio for my new boat, is there a difference in response or is it just a safer freq????

The plain and simple is this:

27MHZ is a general use band. This means that it can have anything from airplanes to robots. It's also the best for submarine use due to the longer wavelength of the signal. Since the signal is also generic, frequency conflicts are possible with others using the same channel

75MHz is surface only and, if you go FM or PCM, has little to no glitching. Again, the signal is generic so frequency conflicts are possible with others using the same channel

2.4GHz is a general use band but, unlike the 27 and 75 bands, the transmitter and receiver are linked so that the receiver only responds to one transmitter. The biggest advantage of this band is you don't have to have an antenna sticking up like on the other two. The antenna can be hidden inside a boat's cowl or left in the radio box itself. The problem with this band is due to the short wavelength, the signal can be reflected by the water's surface.

As far as responce, there isn't enough difference for you to tell. It's like using a servo, some take 1.5 seconds to go full "stop to stop" while others will take 2. I don't know anyone that can sense a .5 second difference in speed

Get yourself a Futaba 2.4 system. It is an awesome radio system. I run 10 different classes of boats and have finally got them all on the 2.4 system. I own 3 transmitters and each boat has its own receiver. I use the 7C stick transmitters and R617FS receivers. These receivers are very small and have 2 antennas so you can keep them both inside the radio box with no chance of a glitch or signal problem...period. I have been using this system for the last 4 years now and no issues.

Nice thing about the transmitter is that there is a built in failsafe that if you ever lost signal the throttle can be set to shut the engine off. There is a rotary knob (channel 6) for needle mixture control. It has a 10 model memory.

I run this system in my 21 outboard, hydro, mono, 45 sport 40, hydro, 67 eagle SG, Miss vegas, Bardahl, Smokin Joes and Miss US scales. I really like the non existance of that antenna tube in my scales.....

Here is the link, Futaba 7C

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, think ill wait to upgrade, sport user only run by myself and have never had a frequency or gliche problem. thanks again.

Why do they call the 2.4 7C radio's air radios , does it really matter anymore ?

Thanks Tim

The 7C is refered to as an air radio due to it's programming. It's loaded with features used primarily for aircraft(ie rudder/aileron mixing, "V" tail mixing). The helicopter version is identical except its programming is based on the needs of helicopter pilots. That being said, there is nothing to prevent you from using it for boats. I myself use a 9CAP Super 2 for my boats. It's a 9 channel FM PCM radio set up for aircraft. I ordered mine with a 75MHz surface frequency module that I can change out for a 72MHz for aircraft or a 2.4GHz FASST when I'm rich enough to invest in new receivers to go along with a new transmitter module

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back