Ouch! That Hurts.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pachmayer

Hey Guys,

Was poking around IMPBAs web site and came across this;

Electric - Electric boats come in a wide variety of types, including submarines, tugboats, boats for show, and boats for racing.  These boats are powered the same as the more well known RC cars, by 6 to 12 cell nicad battery packs.  Electric boats are quieter and cleaner than the nitro and gasoline types, and therefore more easily accepted on small, urban, running sites.  Although typically noted as being much slower than the nitro and gasoline boats, this sector of the hobby continues to gain speed and enthusiastic support from hobbyists.
Hmm, last I heard the electrics held the highest speed record. ;)

Paul.

Hey Paul, I gotta stir the pot here.

The quote says "typically"

I have to agree. Typically electric boats are slower than a similar sized nitro or gas boat.

If you took a fair cross section of the designs available today, the nitro boats would be faster almost 100% of the time.

You have to include everything from RTR's, right up to purpose built SAW boats.

Electric has certainly come a long way in the last few years though.

In fairness, I would say it is a lot easier to get an electric boat up to 80 MPH than a nitro or gas hull. The horsepower in an modern B/L motor is simply amazing.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Hello Guys,

Hey Paul, I gotta stir the pot here.
That was my idea, lol. :D

90% of the electric boats are scale boats and therefor "slow"
Another slam, the hammer comes down. B) Well, on a scale note I have a 1/8th scale hydro going together that will give a 1/8th nitro boat a good run for the money. Matter of fact I could go out on a limb here and say as fast or faster in oval trim. Oh ya, I can get my hydro on plane from a dead stop. ;)

Paul.

paul

Are you saying that you might what to take five paces and turn? Hehehehe :D

Look up Gary Preusse. Heck he is not that far away form you.. Make sure you get Video of this for us. :D

Grim

Not that I'm siding one way or another.... but could the electric do it for 6 laps on a 1/3 mile track?

Hey Guys,

but could the electric do it for 6 laps on a 1/3 mile track?
Yep, no problem.

Bring on that 1/8 scale electric and we will run 1/3 mile oval for 6 laps. Your limb might just get broke.
Looks like it's runnin' a bit "wet" to me, lol. :rolleyes:

Oh ya, here's a pic of my bullet. :D

lehner2280.jpg

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
My comment wasn't meant as a slam,just fact. Most electric boats are not race boats.Our local club thought that all electirc boats were toys until I brought my 12 cell tunnel and stayed with the 21 tunnels till I started to dump. The 120+mph electric boat is out of reach for 99% of the electric boaters.

Hey guys,

Since we're at it, the only way to make a Pro Boat Bud fly? Junk the nitro motor and convert it to electric. :D

Pbud.jpg

Paul.

Paul I would be very interested in seeing the hardware setup on that Miss bud. I converted mine to a flex and am still working out some bugs...

adam

Paul Pachmayer said:
Here is the proof that electrics are able to go in the 100's but look at the size of the powerplant. How many cells are you running this on?

In comarison to a .90 or 1.0 what is the HP output.

No slams intended I just want to see some real numbers of the HP you are putting out. Looks like its **** near enough to run an elevator at the Sears Tower.

Ron

Last edited:
Interesting, Thats what I built this for

CrackJump2.jpg

There gotta be a couple classes that could be setup for an electric/fuel grudge match.

How fast does a Gas Cracker go?

LOU

Ok, electrics are fast (at least some of them) ;)

But I love nitro engines and I think a lot of people are not willing to buy 30-40 cells and a very expensive motor only to reach a nitro engine like power level(...for about 4 minutes :p )

By the way...I also started modelboating with electrics :)

Hello Guys,

My comment wasn't meant as a slam,just fact.
I know, this is all for fun. Lets call it "bench racing". :D All kidding aside my 1/8th scale should be on par with a nitro boat.

How many cells are you running this on?In comarison to a .90 or 1.0 what is the HP output.
I'll be running 32 cells, I'm not sure of the HP rating but the motor is capable of 3000 watts output. I know there's a formula to figure the watts to HP but I'm not familar with it. One thing you have to keep in mind is the mass amount of tourqe available, that motor can swing a 70mm prop easily.

Looks like its **** near enough to run an elevator at the Sears Tower.
LMAO, good one. Some of these motors are near impossible to hold in your hand when you spin them up good. We will be racing 1/8th scale for the first time this year at the MI Cup. We will be running a course roughly the same size as a nitro course for 10 laps, projected speed for the duration is in the 50mph range.

From what I understand the big 1/8th scale club in WA will allow electrics to run with them this year. I know Roger Newton has been experimenting with a FE 1/8th scale.

Paul.

Hello Spaulding,

By the way...I also started modelboating with electrics
That's funny, I started boat racing in nitro in the early 80s. B) I love to tinker and running FE is quite the challenge so for me it's the only way to go. If I wanted to no fuss race it would be gas.

Paul.

hmmm.....crackin on the poor elec guys about run time.....shame on yall....

how many of you nitro guys can run all 3 heats without refueling at all??

ya thats what i thought :D :) B)

paul,

just how many cells would it take you to power a 50-some inch cat? cuz it only takes me 1000ml of gas... :D :eek: B)

sorry guys,

had ta go and make this a 3-way battle. :rolleyes:

i started boats with electric, started racing with nitro, and starting winning national championships with gas [okay well im not the national champ YET but the last step is always the hardest to climb :D ]

Joe

Great post! Nice to see you guys can compair electric and nitro with out trying to kill each other! Just some good clean fun. :p

Keep up the good work. B)

Dale P.

How 'bout a sailboat for endurance? :p Only limited by the size of the receiver pack!

Paul...to covert watts to HP, multiply by 0.00134...so your 3000 watt motor is capable of 4.02 HP.

Back