Floatation in rigger cowls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any tips regarding cowl flotation material and how to attach it?
Gaday Tim

Mate go to Target Penrith and get some of the flat poll noodle it $5 for a 3pack of 1 meter lenghts

its 150mm wide by 12mm thick fuel profe i use sicka flex from bunnings to glue it on . if you only need a small amount i have heaps let me know im at Claremont Meadows Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody .

Tim D., even though Summer has just finished over here in Australia , Big W and Clark Rubber stock a variety of round and flat flotation sheet material . Use either Sikaflex or some resin and chop strand fibreglass to keep it in place . Hopefully this helps with your enquiries .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing :)

I use Flat Pool Flotation Cell Foam. This is difficult to get here in Florida, USA. Then use thick / red label CA and spray "CA kicker". Also, lately I have used the "NEW Gorilla Glue X2 Fast". It dries in 20-30 minutes, and it truly holds the foam in place.

Luis.

One thing that I want to try is using depron foam. The same stuff the airplane guys use to make the small park flyers. They make it in 3-10 mm. I would think it could be molded to the cowl shape somewhat and not take up that much room.

Mike

Two part, 2 lb density, marine expandable foam can easily be mixed & poured into cavities to provide flotation for cowls or other parts. Keep in mind that the foam will expand 25 to 30 times its liquid volume. Therefore, when filling a closed compartment there must be a large sized pressure relief hole provided in case to much liquid foam has been used. The HTB-360 cowl in the photo has its entire nose filled with liquid foam as well as other accessible areas. The cured material needs one coat of epoxy paint when used with nitro fuels or gasoline. Any extra foam in an area where it is not needed or wanted is easily removed. I use the US Composites brand.

Jim Allen

I'd use blue or pink foam ,the one construction use on the outside of the house,the same ones in the JAE front sponsons. lightweight to.

I have been using these little stick on foam squares in the rigger cowls lately. They keep the cowl from sinking yet it doesn't float too high in case it gets hit.....

Just use a small peice of pool noodle where it will fit and your good to go.I sand the areas in the cowl and the noodle where the goop will be applied and wipe it down with denatured alky, let it dry , apply goop and apply alittle pressure and let it set over night and your done.

One of those noodles will keep a kid floating so you don't need much in a cowl to keep it floating.....

Let it sink that way YOU can't run over it!!!! LOL
It took you that long to respond to a comment by me about cowls Grub?- man you must be busy with Nationals stuff! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I float tested it in the pool the other day - it sits on a slight angle so I'll be able to just use it like a ramp this time! It's carbon fibre, so it's going to have better resistance to prop damage too..... :p

It took you that long to respond to a comment by me about cowls Grub?- man you must be busy with Nationals stuff! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I float tested it in the pool the other day - it sits on a slight angle so I'll be able to just use it like a ramp this time! It's carbon fibre, so it's going to have better resistance to prop damage too..... :p
the only way it will get hit if no one see it since I see its black.

the only way it will get hit if no one see it since I see its black.
The only way? I think not. It is a long running thing between Grub and I about me running over my own cowl during a heat at the 2003 Nationals. And BTW - it was white.

Tim, you ran over it twice in that heat!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used some sheets of 1/8" closed cell foam used for fly tying called "fly foam" it's the same stuff flip-flop sandals used to be made of. It glues easily with foam safe CA and works great for padding on my rigger stand as well.

Copper pipe insulation foam works well too. Get it at Home Depot in 6-8ft. lengths. Cuts easily and if you cut it in half - it molds to the upper part of the cowel.

I use 2~3mm thick foam from a craft store, Put it only on hte front lip of the cowl so it floats vertically with just the nose above the water. Floating verticvally reduces the target on the water.

Latest posts

Back