gps

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff baham

guys which gps do you use to get from place to place, and is pretty easy to use, and what is the cost of it.

Any small compact unit will get you a decent reading but most use eagle tree from what I hear... A straight line run is the best to calculate speed as refresh rates when going around a sharp corner pulling G's will not result in accurate readings...

kevin,, i beleive he is speaking of the unit you put in cars,,,,there really isnt a place to place on a pond,,,, :p well,, you wouldnt need a gps :p :p

i use the tom tom,,, works good,,, decent to use... around $80.00 -100.00 now... ive had the cheapo nextar also,,, worked well... around $70 at the time... they both worked the same in my opinion,,,, but the tom tom,,garmin,, will last way longer as far as battery life....

alden

Any of the Garmin Nuvi's are great, they update the maps 4 times a year.

Had a Magellan that even with the current map updates, the main interstates were still unreliable or missing.

If you are talking about one to put in the boat(RC) go with one of the Garmin Gekos.

SORRY GUYS, i should have proof read my post ,so camaroboy 383 is correct, car units only, but thanks for thr info ,please keep them coming.

guys which gps do you use to get from place to place, and is pretty easy to use, and what is the cost of it.

I use a map , no GPS needed with proper directions from your destination when you get to the town . i am blown away by the current dependency syndrome on GPS ' S . This is just me ,but unless it's a fishing destination offshore GPS is simply a complication of a skill that every driver should posess !! Map skills ..everyone should have a situational awareness of where they are . Remember Geography class ??? :lol: :lol:

I use a map , no GPS needed with proper directions from your destination when you get to the town . i am blown away by the current dependency syndrome on GPS ' S . This is just me ,but unless it's a fishing destination offshore GPS is simply a complication of a skill that every driver should posess !! Map skills ..everyone should have a situational awareness of where they are . Remember Geography class ??? :lol: :lol:

I tend to agree Tom! The less you use your brain the weaker it gets.

Tom you are right someone we race with used one and took them way out of the way to get to a race he doesnt use it any more he uses common sence not gps

kevin,, i beleive he is speaking of the unit you put in cars,,,,there really isnt a place to place on a pond,,,, :p well,, you wouldnt need a gps :p :p

i use the tom tom,,, works good,,, decent to use... around $80.00 -100.00 now... ive had the cheapo nextar also,,, worked well... around $70 at the time... they both worked the same in my opinion,,,, but the tom tom,,garmin,, will last way longer as far as battery life....

alden
Hmmmm... Not sure if he edited his post or I just didn't read...... Ohwell I vote map unless fishing or hunting.... My foreman can't even go to the city without a gps and it drives me nuts.... He has a Garmin and it works well but just confuses me...

map reading is a good skill to have,,,, but having to pull over to read a map gets old... unless your one of them guy's reading the map while driving,,, and well keep it in yuour lane.. :p when your alone in a vehicle the gps is handy... the reason gps units somtimes send you out of the way is because there are settings on them,,, such as,,, avoid highways,,avoid back roads, quickest route, and so on... i always set mine to quickest route.... ;) so anyway i agree with the map skill thing,, but it does somtimes tend to be a pain....

ac

map reading is a good skill to have,,,, but having to pull over to read a map gets old... unless your one of them guy's reading the map while driving,,, and well keep it in yuour lane.. :p when your alone in a vehicle the gps is handy... the reason gps units somtimes send you out of the way is because there are settings on them,,, such as,,, avoid highways,,avoid back roads, quickest route, and so on... i always set mine to quickest route.... ;) so anyway i agree with the map skill thing,, but it does somtimes tend to be a pain....

ac
I don't have to worry about other cars and drifting lanes my truck is 22 feet long I bounce off of them :eek: JK What I do is plot my route first and then make notes were to turn in big letters on a note pad!!! Works great then you actually know the area better versus listening to that lady telling you were to turn :D She does have a sexy voice though :p

Dedicated GPS units are becoming a thing of the past.... Get an android phone. It will always be updated and can do so much more than just give directions.

mark my word.... 10 years from now the home computer will be gone! replaced by a cell phone with a docking station. oh yea.... blu-ray players are DOA. they are replaced with digital on demand movies like netflix.... and next cable and sattelite will be dead soon as well. replaced with services like netflix.

Actually just yesterday bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300 at Radioshack for $99. We're moving to CHarlottle in about a month and we will have no idea where go for anything. It does work very well. I know there are more expensive units,.. but this has all I need.. Plus it's thin, looks nice.. came with the suction cup mount,.. can't wait to mount it and drive to NC!!!!

:lol: Tom, The girlfriend saw me looking at a map in Jan.- said nobody uses maps anymore- she went out and bought me a Tom Tom- First trip(left map at home)- ended up on the right street- in the wrong town. Tom Tom lives in the glove box now- under the map. :lol: :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, those hi-tech nav systems can go right into the trash.

Went on a bus trip a few years back and the driver wanted to try out a new Tomtom. It worked great on the freeway, was totally wrong on the side streets. It even tried to direct the driver to go into Portland when the address was Vancouver WA. He took it back the next day.

When I was working for Sears a couple of years ago, I was told I had to use a nav program loaded in a company supplied lap top. It was always wrong so I ended up buying a Thomas Guide for King/Snohomish/Pierce counties in WA, never used the nav system after that. I found the Thomas guide to be better and faster than the nav system

mark my word.... 10 years from now the home computer will be gone! replaced by a cell phone with a docking station. oh yea.... blu-ray players are DOA. they are replaced with digital on demand movies like netflix.... and next cable and sattelite will be dead soon as well. replaced with services like netflix.
Tom,

you don't have to wait 10 years, Meet the Motorola Atrix (dual Core):

Dan.

motorola-atrix-4g.jpg

i was alwas a map guy until you travel coast to coast like i do.it is an invaluable tool for a person in my field. remember tom,without the truckers, you would be hungry,naked and unemployed!! :rolleyes: ps, the garmin company is alway a great unit(supplied to all military) mike.

tom, how are people going to watch tv? my area has no reg channels unless you use a converter box,and you are lucky you get a few channels at best.i do not watch movies so how is netflix taking over? mike.

Back