david preusse 12 cowl on a jae

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

i received my 12 cowl from david,,and was wondering if anyone is using them on the jae....im looking for possibly tips or tricks on the install,,,for sure would like feedback on how you are holding the cowls to the tub,,,magnets?,,locks,??

leave the blow molded tounge??? or glue on the extra one included???

any info or pics appriciated.....thanks,,

alden

i received my 12 cowl from david,,and was wondering if anyone is using them on the jae....im looking for possibly tips or tricks on the install,,,for sure would like feedback on how you are holding the cowls to the tub,,,magnets?,,locks,??

alden
I'm tagging along on this I just received my cowls. I haven't trimmed them yet but my first thought was to use the extra tab, and maybe use o rings as elastics on the sides of the tub to hold the back. The water fittings on my NR are going to make it a little harder to fit as well.

alden
My young Nephews each have David's cowl on their Jae .12 's. We are using one magnet in the rr corner of the cowl. We also cut off the molded tongue and used 1/16 ply cross grained instead.Send me your email I will send pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used one magnet at the back in the middle and still had room for my 3rd channel.I also used the tab that came on the cowl.I sold the boat to someone on here .He may have current pics.

I just cut out around the pipe and needle and water outlets and got it to work fine.

This is the only picture that i have .I used a 1/16" thick aluminum bracket and pressed the magnet into a pre drilled hole a bit smaller than the magnet and the gooped a thim peice of metal inside the cowl and gooped the bracket to the boat just above where the stuffing tube goes through th bulkhead..

Using same method on the 21 jae, no problem.

alden
Alden,

awesome cowl, got mine fitted up here recently...PM me your email and I'll send you some pics...I've got a very reliable and easy mount solution

Jay

anyone willing to send pics can send them to [email protected] basicaly the intent was to share with all here....so thats why i figured post them here....either way its much appriciated...

I was actually quite anxious to get this under way so i comenced trimming....with some hours and some serious thinkin i got it to fit sweet....i actually trimmed the cowl to the exact size of the hole in the tub...this alows me to actually snap the cowl into place...i did use the molded tounge and the ss4 fuel tank keeps just enough pressure on it to keep the tounge firm against the tub deck.....the cowl snaps in tight enough to the point i can pick up the boat by it....im still thinkin a magnet in the back of the cowl but im on the fence about it...i will post pics of it a.s.a.p...obviously it still needs to be painted but you will get the picture...

again,,thanks for the responses and picture offers....im still interested in seeing them....

alden

also for the slim few,,,,(like me),,,who are running a aqua engine... i had to machine off one cooling nipple on the jacket,, i plugged it and drilled a hole in the top of the jacket....i will also post pics of the cooling cap mod...but it is possible to have it fit under the cowl without a massacre of a hole in it....

alden

o.k here are some pics of the cowl fitted to the hull and engine...ill have paint on it soon,,but here it is...............

also,,, here are a couple pics of the cooling cap,,,, the only thing not in the pics is a water outlet i pressed into the hole i drilled in the top of the cap.... you can see the outlet in the rigger pic above in my last post...

Dude!!!,\

It looks like you cut your cooling down by 25% The water is supposed to make close to a full circle in the head!!!... must be working ok though!

also,,, here are a couple pics of the coolong cap,,,, the only thing not in the pics is a water outlet i pressed into the hole i drilled in the top of the cap.... you can see the outlet in the rigger pic above in my last post...

ahhhhh,,ha,,, keen eye my friend......that was the idea,,, to retain some temp.. instead of the water entering and quickly exiting the other side it will have to swirl around in there before exiting,,holding more temp in the jacket...water where i am rarely exceeds 70*... at times,,its a challenge to not run lean due to low engine temps,,, everything i own has the water choked down or removed completely...

alden

If you did not do any other mods to the cooling ring, there will be no flow on the side that you plugged. One side of the head will have cooling and the other not. I could see it working if you cut a channel between the inlet and outlet parts of the ring. Maybe that is what you did.

Mike

no channel mike,,, i do understand what your saying,,,but on the other hand i cant see it completely hydro locking that portion of puddled chamber....the reason i say this is that there is not a constant flow of pressure at all times with the riggers azz bouncing....in other words i believe it will be a pos. neg. pulse type of thing....

on the other hand if that water is hydrolocked in the pocket,,,that will also work as that water will stay at a hot temp...

either way im achieving my goal....more heat in the engine...

my water temps now are in the high 30's,, ever try running ice water through a engine and try to find a needle that performs but doesnt smoke the piston and sleeve...its an insane task...its just to dam cold...

i will for sure try your method mike,,,i have a couple caps i can experiment with..

alden

alden, i agree with mike. is the water outlet threaded? if so, you can solder up brass fittings & drill them out as needed. an assortment would allow quick & easy temp control, as water temp changes.or you could drill & tap a hole on the top of the water jacket to do the same thing. whatever you choose, allow the water to circulate all the way around the head. been there, done that B) .

no sir robin,,,not threaded,,,the piece i made is pressed into the hole i drilled in the cap......i also agree with mike robin,,,but it was a kind of last ditch effort to keep heat,,before pulling the water all together...also why i chose the cowl...keep heat....ill cool with fuel and know im no where near lean...the jacket volume is large on these aqua's...

alden

Thanks Alden for the pix as I haven't seen David's cowls yet. I'm going to need one for the .12 and .21 boats. What I like is that I can use my air-cooled head on that one.

ya i like em alot...the cowl fits so good it amazes me...i love how the cowl snaps into the tub and holds without any locks or magnets...thats just trick....i can pick the rtr boat up by the cowl and shake it and it stays attached...but simply pinch the cowl together in back of the head and unsnaps out of the hull...im all for these cowls man...and your right ron..,,, i think it will work well with the air cooled engines as well,,,david did a great job tooling his cowls.....next i would like to try mark leydes cowls....those look very nice as well....

alden

Yeah I got mine to lock in as well no hasps,magnets, nothing. I can pick the boat up with it goes in pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back