ops 3.5 side exhaust

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapsgixxer

does anyone know of a carb that fits ops 3.5 with side exhaust? stock barrell rolls around and never closes completey. thanks sean

Sean;

what you can do is take a measurement of the diameter of the carb outer throat that plugs into the motor.

After that, you can check places like tower hobbies and look at the O.S., Super Tigre and other carbs

to see what carb has the same neck measurements as you got.

Carl

I had an OPS side exhaust 3.5 in the 80's. If OPS has not made any changes to the carb boss ID, it should be 12mm.

Any 12mm carb should work.

I have even used the OPS slide carb in boats and it worked very well although you need a bell crank to transfer the motion 90 degrees.

Sean, is your concern being able to shut the engine off? The reason why im asking is that i ran those motors for years with the stock carb and had no problem shuting the engine down even with a small amount of the hole showing, provided i had enough throw to close the barrel enough....just wondering.....

thanks bill but shut down is the problem. servo has too much travel rolls backwards and opens carb on opposite sise . tried playin with linkage and servo several times and when i get closing right then it doesnt open all the way. does anyone have one for sale?

Hi Sean,

Not sure if any other carb will bring you luck until you have your servo travel and end points set up properly, and I know you have been trying. I used to fight this with my airplanes, where my older radio was not programmable with end points on travel.

If your radio features this get to know it, and if not, Dubro makes a two-piece fine-tooth servo arm that you can adjust to locate the attachment point proper.

If you haven't already, try moving the pushrod points inward on the carb and outward on the servo, and if no luck, start back the other way moving the carb point outward while moving the servo point inward.

Try different servo arms also, or start with a blank one where you drill your own hole.

Use a new pushrod with one loose end on it and just tape it until you have your magic point set up.

Let us know what happens.

This type of problem isn't uncommon, it is why the electronic end points on the new radios came about.

I have an SE also and know the OPS carbs. There is not much room to play with on travel because the bore is so large for its barrel diameter and you'll have that problem with it not closing if it isn't set up perfect. There's only one magic spot that will work.

SuperTigre has a nice carb that will fit. It is a double needle carb but well made and should perform well. If you get to that point with deciding to go with something like that, let me know and I'll look up numbers for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back