which engine is better

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapsgixxer

building a sport hydro 40 that needs power. looking into .45 ops and os max .46 not sure which one to use. i have never raced just the occasional weekend warrior. which would be better?

building a sport hydro 40 that needs power. looking into .45 ops and os max .46 not sure which one to use. i have never raced just the occasional weekend warrior. which would be better?
They are both good engine for sport use with medium nitro (about %40). Go with the one in which you can most easily obtain parts.

For what it's worth, my 2 cents as I owned both. I bought an OPS .45 dirt cheap from a LHS as it sat on their shelf for about 5 years but never ran it. What I didn't like was the you could never fully close the carb as the bore in a barrel was so large that the other side would open. I sold it to Randy Rapedius who loves them.

The O.S. .46 didn't last long. I picked that up used and shortly afterwards the case cracked diagonally across the bottom. I heard that this was a common problem on these. Supposedly the best pipe for them is an 11 cc.

OPS hands down!! got way more power and RPM's then the O.S max.46. I'd remember there was proublems with the O.S max.46 splitting at the bottom of there crank case. Thats what I was told. Theres a OPS dealer in CAN.

try a AA/45 if you have the money im running one and so is Rob Duckering nothing but pure power..

JCR

Hello everybody .

Chapsgizzer , this is a reply from Australia . I have a OPS 45 Drum valve current series slide carby motor in my Grand Prix hydro on 30% Nitro . I use a OPS 60 Silenced pipe on it . With regards to the engine mount , this boat has a strip of 3mm ply down the middle to stiffen the bottom and has Lord / Octura mounts standing vertically to hold a cast 3 legged engine mount . I have only run OPS Glow motors over the years with minimal trouble . Hopefully this helps with your enquiries .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are good engines for sport use. I raced the OPS 45 engines for years. I was racing an OS 46 more than 30 years ago at a District race in Oklahoma. The boat was going down the front straight when the engine stopped. The top of the case was gone. It had split just above the motor mount and the upper case and sleeve went for a ride. That is when I switched to OPS. I think that parts are still available for the OPS 45.

Al Hobbs

Both are good engines for sport use. I raced the OPS 45 engines for years. I was racing an OS 46 more than 30 years ago at a District race in Oklahoma. The boat was going down the front straight when the engine stopped. The top of the case was gone. It had split just above the motor mount and the upper case and sleeve went for a ride. That is when I switched to OPS. I think that parts are still available for the OPS 45.

Al Hobbs
OPS is still making the marine engines.

This would be a good question for you, Do you plan on racing? If you do plan on racing maybe you should try a A/A or maybe a CMB. I would think you could get a very nice CMB for not much more than either of the more sporty engines. Before buying any engine , do as been suggested and make sure you can still get parts..... might even be wise to get some stuff now while ya can too :)

good luck

the funny thing here is that no one asked him which os .46 vrm or vxm. im not a fan of the vxm but the old vrm ran great right out of the box. i never broke a crankcase and ran 50 % nitro threw it.

ops. 45 with a ops .67 red head carb on it....think you will like it...

the ops. 45 is still out there by the bundle.. they are cheap,,,and parts can be had if you look....imo its a well built engine,,,just needs the red head carb upgrade...

ac

the funny thing here is that no one asked him which os .46 vrm or vxm. im not a fan of the vxm but the old vrm ran great right out of the box. i never broke a crankcase and ran 50 % nitro threw it.
I think he was referring to the VXM since he mentioned about ordering from Tower.

I agree the 46 VRM is a great engine and reliable. I have never had a crankcase cracked on me. Most of the engine mounts on the market today do not cradle the engine. This can be putting a lot of stress on the case. I use only Octura Humdinger mounts or Ocutra hard mount. The mount cradle the engine well and will not cause the case to fail.

They are all good engines. I have ran them all. The OPS will require an RPM or aftermarket rod at some point or a good stock of rods. Just when they start to make power "BOOM". Ticking time bombs in stock form. Both OS 46's are good. The cases will split if there are alignment issues and maybe some suspect quality control issues. The VXM, I never ever had a problem with. It was a powerhouse in its day, especially in a mono hull. I ran the VRM in hydro's for alot of years and were strong in their day. Great sport engines and should last a long time on low nitro fuels with good oil.

The Mac, the AA and the CMB can be raced hard out of the box with no mods at all. Consider that when choosing an engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
several people have down here in south fla are running the mac 45 in the sport 40 class..this seems to be a great combo..

if you havnt purchased a motor yet, im selling my mac 45 with some xtra parts..send me a message if your interested

The Mac, the AA and the CMB can be raced hard out of the box with no mods at all. Consider that when choosing an engine.

Do not forget the Picco 45, an awesome engine right out of the box as well. I got rid of the MACX and CMB 45s and run only the Picco's.

Latest posts

Back