2 boats trashed in 4 days

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

Sunday at the lake Brian and Matt Schymik lost the radio after slapping a bouy and hit a culvert destroying the boat. Today I got this email from Don Brown "Mikey

I think my whip doesn’t like me. I managed to launch it by myself today. The servo change to the digital ¼ scale made all the difference in the control going down the straight. Now I have another problem, I was running it with the new Big Kahouna prop; it was running with as much speed if not more than Saturday. After a few runs and a few adjustments, I took it out for my last run of the day. There were geese between buoy 4 and the CB so I was short coursing it, as I was coming around the clock buoy I lost radio, running wide open and no steering. Unfortunately it hit the bank and ended up across the side walk almost to the street. The nose is completely gone back to the front bulkhead, a hole in the right sponson bottom (I pulled a rock out of it), major damages to the prop and rudder, and it left a two divots in the ground about 18” long and 6” deep. It is fixable but it will take some time.

DonB " THIS SUCKS Mikey :( :( :( :(

I don't think it's the boat, it's the lake "spirits" They haven't gotten enough in sacrifices this year so they made their own at the two boaters expense. At least that's what I was told by a local when I wrecked my first boat, a Dumas 30" Pak, in Blackfoot ID :unsure:

Dam i dont wanna race there lol... expensive hobbie this stuff happens when you dont need for it to happen.

Mikey,

Can you give us more info on the "radio out" that Don had..

What system?

Was he able to determine what caused this?

Grim

I can tell u that ours was caused by the dry cell battery pack. The batteries shifted in the pack just enough to lose contact on one end when it sideswiped the buoy. Worked fine again on shore after. I always wrap the packs with rubber bands. Any other suggestions?

Brian

It was the Indianapolis Colts Sport 40. Dang. Has been a rough few months for the Colts.

Mikey,

Can you give us more info on the "radio out" that Don had..

What system?

Was he able to determine what caused this?

Grim
I know Don uses a 3pm on 2.4. Dont know if the switch was new or what batteries he uses. I hope he was on 6.0 volts

I'm just curious and don't mean to rub salt in the wound, but did you have a failsafe. I had this problem with a 2.4 (Had an integrated failsafe) and lost reception WOT. Lost a great boat. I went back to FM (Crystals) and added a failsafe and never looked back.

I'm just curious and don't mean to rub salt in the wound, but did you have a failsafe. I had this problem with a 2.4 (Had an integrated failsafe) and lost reception WOT. Lost a great boat. I went back to FM (Crystals) and added a failsafe and never looked back.
Mark

PM Sent

DonB

Mark,

Regardless of modulation.. what is the one thing that can cause a failsafe to not work?

Yep.. loss of voltage..

I know others have had issues as well and each and every time it’s the switch.

Using 2.4 its best to use a “new” or better yet HD switch. BTY.. when I have heard of this its always hard to re-produce on shore.. The second the boat hits the water seems to be when it acts up. HD switch really is a good idea, regardless of whos switch it is.

Having said all that I only have one boat with a HD switch but two of my 3 helis have them. To date I have not had a failure. But.. looking over my scale for 2010 its getting a new switch anyway.

This is regarding Futaba and I can not speak for any other systems. Its not fun loosing a boat that’s for sure.. Only one I have ever lost was on 75mg…. dam xtl fell out.. (no body told me I have to tape them in).. but whoeda thunk…. Lesion learned.

Pick your application and decide what might be best for you.

Rock and Roll

Grim

Hey Grim dude, what's an "HD" switch?

I like the old school Noble switches spring loaded on:

normal_ScanImage02.jpg

Almost had a failure with one of those single contact locking type units, dunno why guys continue to use them... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they are specific for digital servo systems, the wire gauge is much heavier, and they dont mount with a Dubro quick switch setup, but are allot more reliable.
I didn’t have any trouble mounting mine in a Dubro Quick mount. I did have to add two flat washers between the mount and the bulkhead so there would be clearance for the heavier wires.

DonB

I believe they are specific for digital servo systems, the wire gauge is much heavier, and they dont mount with a Dubro quick switch setup, but are allot more reliable.
Where would a person get these switches?

Thanks,

Bob Willner
Here is one at Tower

HD switch

This is also a good one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJ45&P=7

Grim
Hey guys,

Do both those switches fit the Dubro switch mount that fits thru a lid/bulkhead?

Thanks, Ron

Jon,

I dont think so.. they boat have a larger foot print

Grim
I am the process of changing to the Futaba 2.4 System, and I would like to know if anyone has had any problems mounting the receiver in a balloon?

I have heard that in a balloon they overheat. However Futaba recommends putting them in a balloon for waterproofing.

Thanks

L. Burford

Latest posts

Back