Intrepid 20 Hydro testing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Well, i FINALLY got my Marty Davis designed 20 Hydro wet Saturday, so i thought id share some thoughts.......Ive NEVER driven a model race boat that turns the way this thing turns....its truely INSANE! After Marty dialed it in for a few laps, he handed the radio to me and told me to hold it wide open....i just couldnt believe it ! It appeared to be as fast in the turns as it was down the straights, not even a hint of blowing over...it tracks and turns like a slot car! The Top 5 port engine is VERY impressive....Marty tried half a dozen props on the boat and that cheap little 215.00 engine handled every one of em, and the only mods made to this engine was to set the head clearance, which Marty did, and remove the low speed needle, which Glenn Quarles did, other than those 2 things the motor is STOCK! Glenn, if you read this...its a **** GOOD MOTOR! :) I would say the weakest link with this boat/ motor combo would be the driver...ahem...that would be ME :lol: , so i wouldnt dare compare this boat to others,but i will say that i do consider myself to be VERY fortunate to reap the benfits of the years of testing that Marty put into this boat to make it the way he wanted it to be, not to mention the personal time that he took with me to build it.....im VERY grateful Marty...and i THANK YOU very much....It is a THRILL to drive that thing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i FINALLY got my Marty Davis designed 20 Hydro wet Saturday, so i thought id share some thoughts.......Ive NEVER driven a model race boat that turns the way this thing turns....its truely INSANE! After Marty dialed it in for a few laps, he handed the radio to me and told me to hold it wide open....i just couldnt believe it ! It appeared to be as fast in the turns as it was down the straights, not even a hint of blowing over...it tracks and turns like a slot car! The Top 5 port engine is VERY impressive....Marty tried half a dozen props on the boat and that cheap little 215.00 engine handled every one of em, and the only mods made to this engine was to set the head clearance, which Marty did, and remove the low speed needle, which Glenn Quarles did, other than those 2 things the motor is STOCK! Glenn, if you read this...its a **** GOOD MOTOR! :) I would say the weakest link with this boat/ motor combo would be the driver...ahem...that would be ME :lol: , so i wouldnt dare compare this boat to others,but i will say that i do consider myself to be VERY fortunate to reap the benfits of the years of testing that Marty put into this boat to make it the way he wanted it to be, not to mention the personal time that he took with me to build it.....im VERY grateful Marty...and i THANK YOU very much....It is a THRILL to drive that thing! :)
Let's see it...show me the pics.

Bill:

This was one of the most enjoyable building experiences that I have had for many years.

You find a guy who builds perfectly, teach him how and the finished product is superb. Last time that I had this much boating fun with someone who really pays attention was a guy named Zaker. Also, Doerr & Hendricks have been easy to teach.

Bill has always loved building boats out of wood and has build MANY over the years. I have seen several and I must say that the craftsmanship is second to none. BUT, he always built his boats heavy to stand the test of time. I taught him how to build super light and still strong. This boat is the finished product.

Here is how the testing went. I must first say that the boath had been complete and ready for the water for 4 weeks and he patiantly waited until we could set it up togetner.

First run I put on a small 1445 prop just to see what we had. Launched perfectly and handled real well (probably about 65mph). Had a little too much turn and the trim was off. We adjusted it a little. Put on a little bigger prop and again it launched super well (now at about 70mph). Gave the radio to Bill and he drove serveral tanks of fuel. Had a bunch of new props that I wanted to test and had been waiting for. Kept adding more pitch and the boat launched super well every time. Added another new prop that I was especially interested in and it ran in the mid 70's. Decided that I wanted to drive it again and wanted to put on my very best prop. Again it launched well and the speed was at 78-80mph. HAven't shortened the pipe to optimum, so I know there is a lot left. I think I will leave it with the prop that runs mid 70's for Bill for the first race or two until he asks for more speed. At that point, I will have to drive my butt off to beat him. But, that is the best way and I can't wait to see the progress he makes. Bill already has asked me to design him a twin. We have done that and he is gathering the materials to build a new Cougar twin 67. I think he really wants to beay his buddy Tom Foley real bad. That will be a challenge with the way that Tom runs and his boat performs.

This was a memorable weekend and I enjoyed it more than I can tell.

It was also really cool to see an old friend Bob Morton, in Florida visiting .

The boat configuration is:

Intrepid 21 at a weight of 3# 11oz

Nova Rossi Inexpensive 5 port .21 engine. (Stock except for setting head clarance at .006")

OPS 3280 pipe at 3 1/4" (at least 1/4" too long)

1450 Octura prop that has toungue cut, Barr cut.

Setup: Right front sponson 3.2 degrees, Left sponson 3.0 degrees.

Ferrette Mixture Control block with OS shallow needle.

John Otto 65% fuel.

I hope that Bill will post a few pictures of the boat, since it is built so perfectly. His workmanship makes me envious.

Marty's

so the 5 port stock Novarossi going 80mph, WOW' and there is alot more in it...

thats awesome, that's even faster them what Mark Grimm went with the new stock cmb vac 21,

and it is less then half the price at $215.00.

so you think the Nova is better,

your info would be great on this... as i'm in the market for a new 21 motor.

cheers Luca

Bill/Marty-

Beautiful boat! I love the cowling- did you make that?? I would love to see a photo of the transom setup... perhaps also a shot of the engine compartment without the cowl on?

Thanks-

Kindest Regards,

Wes

Bill/Marty-

Beautiful boat! I love the cowling- did you make that?? I would love to see a photo of the transom setup... perhaps also a shot of the engine compartment without the cowl on?

Thanks-

Kindest Regards,

Wes
I will be more than happy to take any pics of the boat youd like Wes.......ill try to get em posted tonight! :) Marty gave me that cowling, and my good friend Tom Foley told me that he thinks he,s got a mold for it...i need to get with him, as id like to have a coupla spares as that's the only one i have!

How much does that boat weigh?

If they make a front exshaust version of that engine I would be all over it. The thing is bone stock and ran like a heathen on the prowl and still had a nice tight fit> :)

Norm,

I know of a few people that can make the different crank and we have tested it already.

It seems like a little more RPM out of the front exhaust configuration. Mass producing

the crank is quite expensive in a one by one order though. We have had great results with

this modification on the 28 and now working on the 12 motor.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Very,very nice build,and I know it will track and drive fantastic! Listen hard to MD.

Marty;

That is one heavy 21 rigger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl

Hope you have a blast with it Bill! I have a cougar in my fleet now, Marty sure can design them! :ph34r:

Marty's

so the 5 port stock Novarossi going 80mph, WOW' and there is alot more in it...

thats awesome, that's even faster them what Mark Grimm went with the new stock cmb vac 21,

and it is less then half the price at $215.00.

so you think the Nova is better,

your info would be great on this... as i'm in the market for a new 21 motor.

cheers Luca

Luca:

Personally I don't like a front rotor engine because of the pipe looping around, but it is a VERY good engine. I can't wait for the VAC 21. We are at a point with the old boat that we can push it well with any good engine. This new boat of Bill's is easy to push and handles superb. Made a few changed on it from the boat that I have been running. Themain change is to widen the stance. I learned that on my new 90 boat. It makes the boat super stable in rougher water and seems to lessen ANY torque into the course.

I would recomend the Nova 5 port without reservation. I have been after Nova through Bill McGraw for years to have Nova Rossi just slant the carb 30 degrees and then you could have a rear exhaust engine. Mentioned it to Glen Quarles once. Maybe he will have some influence on Nova. I actually think that the crank induction might be more efficient. Just an opinion based on many years of running both.

I can't wait for the VAC engine. Maybe I will be able to retire my old MAC's finally. Hearing from Grimm about the performance is making me anxious. That information comes from one of the best in our hobby (the Real Grimm).

Hope you have a blast with it Bill! I have a cougar in my fleet now, Marty sure can design them! :ph34r:

Tommy:

I had no idea that you would build my new boat and have it in the water before I did. Maybe I should have waited a while before I gave it to you.

;)

I have high hoped for the new boat and your feedback makes me think that it might work. The JAE's made the new boat necessary. With all the information from Martin T, I realized that I needed to try something new in order to keep up. Just wish I could stop the birthdays or at least slow them down.

Norm,

I know of a few people that can make the different crank and we have tested it already.

It seems like a little more RPM out of the front exhaust configuration. Mass producing

the crank is quite expensive in a one by one order though. We have had great results with

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Mark:

I went along the path that you are taking for a while with the Nova Rossi's. I did it a little different though. I used an outboard engine and turned the engine around. That way I used the square drive that would be for the outboard and then had a rear exhaust engine. Worked great, but that is exactly when Andy came out with the new MAC. It was 1 week until the Nats in Sarasota and I tried the MAC and it was better. Ran it in Sarasota with the MAC and have never looked back. With the new VAC, I suspec that most of the MAC's will be retired.

Norm,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Mark:

I went along the path that you are taking for a while with the Nova Rossi's. I did it a little different though. I used an outboard engine and turned the engine around. That way I used the square drive that would be for the outboard and then had a rear exhaust engine. Worked great, but that is exactly when Andy came out with the new MAC. It was 1 week until the Nats in Sarasota and I tried the MAC and it was better. Ran it in Sarasota with the MAC and have never looked back. With the new VAC, I suspec that most of the MAC's will be retired.

nice boat guys..good job

Bill,and Marty,

That is a fine looking outrigger. As for the $215.00 5 port, the ones I have seen run in other boats ,and the two I have will run with anything Nova makes...And do it for a lot less money.
cool.gif

Larry Conrad

Latest posts

Back