Wood R/C shaft oiler.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Automatic transmission fluid is water soluble (or at least washes off my driveway). I also heard that some use Marvel Mystery Oil (but I heard that it is just automatic transmission oil). I was thinking of oiling using a 50/50 mix of Mystery Oil and WD40 for my flex shaft and strut ball bearings - any thoughts?

On a side note, what are the dimensions of the Wood R/C shaft oiler?

Automatic transmission fluid is water soluble (or at least washes off my driveway). I also heard that some use Marvel Mystery Oil (but I heard that it is just automatic transmission oil). I was thinking of oiling using a 50/50 mix of Mystery Oil and WD40 for my flex shaft and strut ball bearings - any thoughts?

Just a guess-.7" Dia.X 1.0" long for 1/4 or 5/16" tubing sizes.

Glenn

After run 50/50 Tranny oil Marvel air tool oil. Same for the motor and the cooling system. KISS :D

castor oil is the best to use.

we did a test 2 yrs ago with radio box seals and soaked them in a container with tranny fluid, stp , motor oil ect.. the seals swelled 2 - 3 times there normal size.. not good.

plus you can buy castor buy the gallon from you lhs cheap.. sig was 23.00 and last forever.. and the best part is denatured aclky cuts it great and make for easy clean up.

chris

castor oil is the best to use.

we did a test 2 yrs ago with radio box seals and soaked them in a container with tranny fluid, stp , motor oil ect.. the seals swelled 2 - 3 times there normal size.. not good.

plus you can buy castor buy the gallon from you lhs cheap.. sig was 23.00 and last forever.. and the best part is denatured aclky cuts it great and make for easy clean up.

chris
Steve. the reason they use tranny fluid in a auto transmissions full of seals and O ring is.... That it will not swelled any rubber material <_< I been using it for many years for the shafts and engines with excellent results .

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Just a guess-.7" Dia.X 1.0" long for 1/4 or 5/16" tubing sizes.

Glenn
That's pretty close, and you can order your angle from Steve to fit your application; here; http://www.woodrcboatproducts.com/

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use straight castor for the oil, it keeps the shafts and shaft bearings like new.

Straight castor is environment friendly, colorless, cleans easily with alcy, you only need to drill a differant size hole in oiler

from + or - a 1/16th hole to effect oiling rates.

Would you still grease a new flex-shaft before using it with an oiler?

Or just soak it with the oil I'm going to use?
Yea I'd lube it for first time use with same oil you will use in oiler, after that , your good.

Fill oiler each run.

A 50/50 mix of a medium weight synthetic motor oil and STP oil treatment makes a lube that stays put and is super slick. Tranny fluid is really not a good lubricant and WD-40 certainly is not. Castor has a good reputation for preventing seizure in alky burning Pro Mod outboard racing motors (lifesize) because it withstands extreme combustion temps. Not sure that has anything to do with lower temp load bearing applications.

Latest posts

Back