New Picco 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FCM Racing

Well my day did not go as well as I hoped. Motor was very tight broke ROD PISTON and CASE this is not good this is an up date from my other post

Gary

Last edited:
Hi There can you give more info on fuel boat prop and how you have set it up and what was your break in procedure thanks neal

Have you told Mike Hallam and his reply

thanks neal
Hi Neal The boat was going out for the 4th time and fired up easy motor was starting to loosen up prop 1st time out was an Andy Brown prop 1457 and we had changed to a 1657 set the motor on a flow meter 50 % fuel motor was rich I phoned Mike Hallam for a price on parts I do not plan on fixing this motor I have had many nitro motors over the years and know what to expect. The video posted below my post by nightmare that motor was my 45 exr black head I should have kept it.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

thanks for the info

i have put my motor to bet today but tomorrow i will pull her apart and i will video the pull down and put it on you tube and post like here

i have put though 5 lt of fuel and it still has a very tight nip in the piston and liner

here is a link to you tube with my boat running 2 weeks ago

thanks neal

ps i hope this link works

Well my day did not go as well as I hoped. Motor was very tight broke ROD PISTON and CASE this is not good this is an up date from my other post

Gary

Man that really sucks Gary , can you see what caused the failure ?

Tim

Gary

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod :angry:

Gary take some pic from the parts and post here so all can see what a piece of **** that engine really is.

Nick

Gary

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod :angry:

Gary take some pic from the parts and post here so all can see what a piece of **** that engine really is.

Nick

Pic s of motor

Guys,

Not to start a "Picco Bash", but it sure looks like the Picco rods of the past. I suppose Picco will continue to blame us "stupid Americans" who "use too much nitro."

They'll never change......... :rolleyes:

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

That S#@$% :eek:

I'm Glade I went with the CMB 45RS with the steal rod now.

Has any one else had this problem or are you just the lucky one.

Seam to me some one should make good for this one. <_<

Just my opinion.

David

:ph34r: Hardly believe piston fail from rare mistake cnc machine or lousy quality material ABC ( not compound metal) cause somewhere poor balance or too tight onto the sleeve :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
:ph34r: Hardly believe piston fail from rare mistake cnc machine or lousy quality material ABC ( not compound metal) cause somewhere poor balance or too tight onto the sleeve :eek:
Allan, the sleeve and the piston are perfect... no discoloration, no pitting, both C clips in the wrist pin.. I think the engine was tight but I don't think it contributed to the rod giving in. I think the rod itself is defective.

Nick

Allan, the sleeve and the piston are perfect... no discoloration, no pitting, both C clips in the wrist pin.. I think the engine was tight but I don't think it contributed to the rod giving in. I think the rod itself is defective.

Nick
can you show picture of sleeve? Reason you can't see on piston very thin hairline cracked so very rare poor compound aluimiun from melt not complete or drop to hit somewhere pistons in the box but wish underwarrenty before inspector clue on piston any cracked or tight P/sleeve so will replace it( no fire start to run) and keep your save neck

Gary

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod
mad.gif

Nick

Pic s of motor

Gary

Do you have any way to measure the crank pin to see if it is round ?

Just curious.

Tim

Gary

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod
mad.gif

Nick

Pic s of motor

Gary

Do you have any way to measure the crank pin to see if it is round ?

Just curious.

Tim
No Tim I have to get a puller for the flywheel on Tue after I get the crank out I will no more I think the bearings have gone as well it looks like the crank was touching the case

Gary

Last edited:
yes it does

sorry for quality of the vid as it was on my M/phone

look i love running boats and it is all to do with running the motors in and holding back from leaning them out and when you think you are done running the motor in then double what you have just done

all i can say is if they are run in right then you should not have a problem

keep the oil up..... heat cycle the piston and liner...... and when you think you are done........... run it in some more

thanks neal

yes it does

sorry for quality of the vid as it was on my M/phone

look i love running boats and it is all to do with running the motors in and holding back from leaning them out and when you think you are done running the motor in then double what you have just done

all i can say is if they are run in right then you should not have a problem

keep the oil up..... heat cycle the piston and liner...... and when you think you are done........... run it in some more

thanks neal

Gary has a very good understanding of how to break in a nitro motor properly , he is not new to this.

If the crank pin has been ground properly and is round and if the clearance between the rod and crankpin was good then that leaves the rod itself to be the problem.

If the manufacturer is willing to sell a motor with the piston is so tight that it could lead to potential engine failure then they should also be prepaired replace the product when it fails.

I have had engines that were so tight I used a wrench to get them over the top and the engine never failed , but that was NovaRossi.

Gary has just lost a fair amount of money on an engine that he believed to be safe to run out of the box and it failed , Picco needs to step up and replace the engine and they also need to fix the problem before to many others waste their money.

Best of luck Gary

Tim K

Thanks Tim I have been many years in the hobby and many engines not just boats helli and planes I run gas and nitro had a problem with a gas motor RCMK it was replaced you see they brought a new product out and there way of fixing the problem was to try and keep every body happy my motor was not the only one they replaced. I feel picco lover feels I am to blame for the failer.

Last edited:
Back