52" kneeler hydro for gas outboard build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, I received a request to build a rather large kneel down hydroplane for a fellow member on intlwaters. His is a little different than the others I have built, as its 52" in length, and being built for a zenoah gas outboard with G-Morty lower leg. I have decided with that much weight (He figures about 7lbs for the motor/lower leg) that I need to actually add some weight to the hull as my 41" version weights only about 4.5lbs. To do this, I am increasing the tunnels floor from 1/16" ply to 1/8" ply, The top deck of the tunnel from 1/32" to 1/16", the center formers are solid stock, that was cut to a little over 1/4" thick. The formers I actually like better doing as solid material over ply as they seem to stay more true where the ply wants to flop around. I am going to incorporate that into all my sizes from here on out. I also used some cross bracing where usually only foam is installed in the center former. The transom is also 1/2" thick where previous designs were 3/8" thick.

Tonight the foam for the center will be placed in, and cut to shape and the top deck possibly installed. Today I am pondering weather or not to use 1/4" ply for the cowling sides, or a layer of 1/8" skinned with a 1/32" skin on the outside. I don't want the top edge to look so think that its almost goofy, but I do need it strong as it will take the forward thrust load from the engine.

I am also changing some other designs features. From now on, where the front turn fin brace assembly mounts to the back of the sponson, that rear sponson plate will be 3 layers of carbon fiber and a backer of aluminum plate so that it can be drilled and taped by the owner. I am also adding a wood block were the rear turn fin brace mounts on the top of the non-trip. This will allow the screw to be fully encased in wood..not just the wood skin to foam like previous designs. These things will be done on all sizes of the boats.

Here are some pics of the start:

IMGP0094Large.jpg

IMGP0095Large.jpg

IMGP0096Large.jpg

IMGP0097Large.jpg

IMGP0098Large.jpg

IMGP0099Large.jpg

Cant wait to see it finished. What are you going to use for a driver.....KING KONG? :lol: LOL :lol: NICE WORK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the lack of updates. I will have more pics soon. I ran out of wood, ups lost my shipment, then found it (had the wrong street # on the package), and I just got the wood yesterday around lunch. I am actually working on the boat right now, so I will update with pics later! Mike

Ok, So I got the centerformer finished up over the weekend, and started on the sponsons. For now, this project will sit for about 4 days. I need to begin the 35" kneelers that I have orders on. Once I have the 35" centerformers together, I will continue on with this project. Enjoy the updates! Mike

IMGP0102Large.jpg

IMGP0101Large.jpg

IMGP0103Large.jpg

IMGP0104Large.jpg

IMGP0146Large.jpg

IMGP0147Large.jpg

IMGP0157Large.jpg

and its LOOKING BIGGGGG!!!!! haha. Its got plenty of mass to support your gas outboard that is for sure! Mike

Sponsons have been started. I will be adding the ride pad tommorow night so I can finish shaping the foam for the sponsons. They the non trip foam/ wood will be added. Should have this boat about wrapped up by the weeks end! The size of this thing is amazing! lol

IMGP0237Large.jpg

IMGP0239Large.jpg

IMGP0240Large.jpg

IMGP0241Large.jpg

Sponsons have been started. I will be adding the ride pad tommorow night so I can finish shaping the foam for the sponsons. They the non trip foam/ wood will be added. Should have this boat about wrapped up by the weeks end! The size of this thing is amazing! lol

IMGP0237Large.jpg

IMGP0239Large.jpg

IMGP0240Large.jpg

IMGP0241Large.jpg
Man that thing is going to look awesome with a big gas outboard and one of these sitting on board!!

HAN365-250.jpg

I will have the hull complete hopefully by the end of the day. Here are some updated pics!

IMGP0259Large.jpg

IMGP0260Large.jpg

IMGP0261Large.jpg

IMGP0262Large.jpg

Ok, The nontrip side sheeting is glued on, and trimmed. The top decking is glued on, and will be trimmed tomorrow night. That just leaves the front cap for the front of the sponsons, and gluing the sponsons to the center former. All that will be done tomorrow night. CB540 will be finishing all the epoxy himself, and rigging the boat for the big Zenoah outboard. I am hoping he will take the thread over once the boat is picked up by him. I should have finished pics either tonight, or tomorrow! Oh, as you can see, the boat is so long that the top decking had to be two piece. Enjoy! Mike

IMGP0263Large.jpg

IMGP0264Large.jpg

IMGP0265Large.jpg

Ok, so here is where I leave off the build, and hopefully the new owner, CB540, will take over once he has the hull in his possesion. I have finished the trimwork, bonded the sponsons (they where glued while on a jig to insure proper 90 degree fitment). I am done, as far as my part, with the build. I need to make a tag with my name, and hull #..This one being 52" hull #1!!! Enjoy...now I can finish the 35" kneelers sponsons, and whip20 builds! Mike

IMGP0274Large.jpg

IMGP0275Large.jpg

IMGP0276Large.jpg

IMGP0277Large.jpg

IMGP0278Large.jpg

IMGP0279Large.jpg

Hey Mike.That thing looks GREAT!! I cant wait to get this thing rigged and running.I will defiantly keep the thread going.Thank you,Chris :)

Latest posts

Back