Old Dumas 36in shovel nose hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren Porsch

I have and old Dumas shovel nose hydro I Purchased years ago. My nine year old grandson asked me if we could build it and run it with radio control. In my day our little club had Miss Thriftway's,Slow Motion's, and Miss Bardhl's. All had .049 nitro engines. We ran them around a duck pond on a string. So far the project is going fine. So this is what I have done so far. I have a 2 chanel Traxxas radio with 2 servos. I have a marine K&B 6.5 cc Nitro engine. The prop is a two blade Octura X447 on a strait 3/16 shaft. The rudder is 4"x3/4" with water pick up. I've tryed to keep the center of gravity close to the boat center!!! With all the radio equipment and not up to date with these new developments I'm kind of in the dark. any of your comments would be appriciated. Old Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
I have and old Dumas shovel nose hydro I Purchased years ago. My nine year old grandson asked me if we could build it and run it with radio control. In my day our little club had Miss Thriftway's,Slow Motion's, and Miss Bardhl's. All had .049 nitro engines. We ran them around a duck pond on a string. So far the project is going fine. So this is what I have done so far. I have a 2 chanel Traxxas radio with 2 servos. I have a marine K&B 6.5 cc Nitro engine. The prop is a two blade Octura X447 on a strait 3/16 shaft. The rudder is 4"x3/4" with water pick up. I've tryed to keep the center of gravity close to the boat center!!! With all the radio equipment and not up to date with these new developments I'm kind of in the dark. any of your comments would be appriciated. Old Guy
Id try a 1445 a little more rear lift keep the c-g near the sponson transom and you should be close

For just fun running im not sure if the 6.5 K&B engine might not be a handful for that boat...Its not that its a bad motor, but they are a little high strung...if you could find a K&B 40 sport marine engine you would find it to be a little more tame and easier to start and run (little grandkids dont have alot of patience...ive got 5 of em!) A straight shaft is old school but would work...you really have to line up things right! do you have the ball and socket for the u joint? Have you actually started to build the boat yet? Are you using epoxy? Back in the day I knew guys who used Ambroid model airplane cement and wondered why thier boat fell apart as soon as they fired it up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For just fun running im not sure if the 6.5 K&B engine might not be a handful for that boat...Its not that its a bad motor, but they are a little high strung...if you could find a K&B 40 sport marine engine you would find it to be a little more tame and easier to start and run (little grandkids dont have alot of patience...ive got 5 of em!) A straight shaft is old school but would work...you really have to line up things right! do you have the ball and socket for the u joint? Have you actually started to build the boat yet? Are you using epoxy? Back in the day I knew guys who used Ambroid model airplane cement and wondered why thier boat fell apart as soon as they fired it up!!
Thank you Bill for the responce. First of all I am old school. But I can learn. The engine has a ball and socket u joint that came with the engine. I have the haul built. all joints a done with an auto body epoxy. I have not installed the decking. I did replace the sponsons with aluminum. I have not ran the engine yet. I'm still working on the servo locations. I have the rudder servo done. I'm still trying to design the throttle servo.

Thank you Bill for the responce. First of all I am old school. But I can learn. The engine has a ball and socket u joint that came with the engine. I have the haul built. all joints a done with an auto body epoxy. I have not installed the decking. I did replace the sponsons with aluminum. I have not ran the engine yet. I'm still working on the servo locations. I have the rudder servo done. I'm still trying to design the throttle servo.
I would suggest using a slow setting epoxy to put the decks on when your ready...If you are using the mahogany that came with the kit you may have to wet it to get it to form over the bulkheads and stringers....its not the greatest wood in the world to work with as it cracks easily, but you CAN make it work....did you build a waterproof radiobox in the hull for your servos? I dont believe there were any provisions or instructions for a radio box for that boat as it was originally intended for tether running! Nothin wrong with old school.. its fun to go back every so often! :)

Lauren,

Is this a Dumas Miss Unlimited Kit you have built? I am building this kit and plan to start glue up in the next week or two. FYI, there is a Miss Unlimited build thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8504516/.../tm.htm#8504516 (I hope this is not a rule violation) if you care to join in.

Bill, If we are all talking the same boat, as you suspected, no there is no radio box provisions as desiged by Dumas. The kits needs to be modifed for the RC converstion.

Raymond

Back