Would you buy an engraved boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ridgebacks

We have a laser engraving shop in the area. I think that they can engrave on wood. If that is the case, I was thinking of having a name or logo or something engraved into my Whiplash deck. How much would that deter you from buying a boat? Once it is engraved, it's not coming out, you paint the deck or you see the engraving. I'm not that far away from decking the boat, so now would be the time to have the decks engraved.

I think engraving would be an excellent way of personalizing your boat. However, I personally wouldn't purchase a boat that had a persons name engraved on it simply because then I cannot personalize the boat in my own ways. If it had a manufacturers name or the models name, then that I would consider. For example, if you engraved your Whip with "Whiplash" then that would be acceptable to me. The problem I foresee with custom engraving is that you limit your market if and/or when you are ready to sell the model. I am sure everyone's opinion will be different than mine, but that is just my $.02 :)

Mike

We have a laser engraving shop in the area. I think that they can engrave on wood. If that is the case, I was thinking of having a name or logo or something engraved into my Whiplash deck. How much would that deter you from buying a boat? Once it is engraved, it's not coming out, you paint the deck or you see the engraving. I'm not that far away from decking the boat, so now would be the time to have the decks engraved.

I say life is too short and do what makes you happy, and worry about money later. If it decreases the price of the hull, you'll never know. You can never guess who the buyer will be or what peoples tastes are.

Who knows, the engraving might become special to you down the road and you just might ending up keeping it for yourself and never even consider selling it.

Have you seen an example yet burned into a curved deck before? Or burned into the ply size your using? Are you sure you would like the result? Will you have problems when sealing it? I've seen laser engraving on wood before, and the overburn around the edges and the charcoal it leaves in the bottom would concern me some. There might be some staining or particles trapped inside you're clearcoat. I would spray or seal it somehow first, instead of brushing over it.

If your using it as a branding on many boats your planning on buiding and selling built-up, I would probably leave it off and just sell it plain with no design.

I've kept the idea of laser engraving in mind also, and think its a great idea. If you do decide on having it engraved, please let us know how it turns out, I would be excited to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be pics if I do it. This is just one of my concerns. The thickness of the ply and the coating are others. I really just wanted to know what your reaction might be to a boat for sale.

Back