attaching fences

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ridgebacks

What material would you use for an air fence on the front of the sponsons and how would you attach it. If I have used the wrong term, I am refering to air dams that run parallel to the centerline of the boat on the front of the inside of the sponsons.

Thanks in advance.

The Fences are used to keep the boat straight while running. Think of it as like a turn fin in the water but going through the air.

The Fences are used to keep the boat straight while running. Think of it as like a turn fin in the water but going through the air.
Sorry FurnalFlyer, you wrong. It is used to break the air flow over the sponson in a turn. It keeps the sponson from acting like wing and lifting off the water and possibly causing a flip.

Ralph

AIR DAMS are the proper term and Furnal is not wrong they do aid in tracking. Besided disturbing flow in a turn they help pack air pressure and straighten flow between the sponsons which will aid in down or up pressure depending on the shape or your cowl sponsons and center section. Probably most effective on a hydro or tunnel over a rigger.

I lay up fiberglass on a glass plate and have used sheet aluminum or lexan also, cutting shape with a band saw. Attaching with silicone will allow you to change things back and not leave screw holes. Adds weight but is dispursed wide and low near the water

Mic

AIR DAMS are the proper term and Furnal is not wrong they do aid in tracking. Besided disturbing flow in a turn they help pack air pressure and straighten flow between the sponsons which will aid in down or up pressure depending on the shape or your cowl sponsons and center section. Probably most effective on a hydro or tunnel over a rigger.I lay up fiberglass on a glass plate and have used sheet aluminum or lexan also, cutting shape with a band saw. Attaching with silicone will allow you to change things back and not leave screw holes. Adds weight but is dispursed wide and low near the water

Mic
I have seen guys use a wiper blade also-

Andy

AIR DAMS are the proper term and Furnal is not wrong they do aid in tracking. Besided disturbing flow in a turn they help pack air pressure and straighten flow between the sponsons which will aid in down or up pressure depending on the shape or your cowl sponsons and center section. Probably most effective on a hydro or tunnel over a rigger.I lay up fiberglass on a glass plate and have used sheet aluminum or lexan also, cutting shape with a band saw. Attaching with silicone will allow you to change things back and not leave screw holes. Adds weight but is dispursed wide and low near the water

Mic
I have seen guys use a wiper blade also-

Andy
Follow the thread Andy, were not talking about what people put on the bottom, front of the center section.

Whats being refered to here is the clear vertical wing attached to the inside top of the sponson.

Jeez, MONO drivers????

Oops !!

Your just sore about the brick comment .... :p :p :p

Now back to the regularly schedule program, maybe if I keep my mouth shut and listen Rick will teach me something ;)

Andy

Mic
Thanks HTV for backing up my response. I figured it would work as the real hydroplanes that my Father and I use to build.

2ridgebacks - I would recommend an epoxy to attach it. I think that would hold better then tape since the tape is still leaving room for water to get in between which might loosen it up.

Boat_Racing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
you could use servo mounting tape its real strong and thin

good luck!

norm j

Latest posts

Back