Huge thanks to Andrew Young you Aussis have a great mate there!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Bourlet

Supporting Member
I just wanted to make sure that everyone here knows how great Andrew Young is. He wrote a program for his local club to help with lap counting. When I contacted him about making a version that would work under NAMBA rules he went above and beyond and added every feature we had asked for. All this and he wanted no money for the time he spent on the project. The program is an audio clock , timer, and counter that reads button pushes from switches each pit man holds. We used it for the first time at our District 8 race this weekend and it made the CDs job so much easier. Thanks Andrew !

Andrew and the Committee of the MBC of NSW do a great job with the organisation of our Club's Race meetings. As a complete newbie last year I was really impressed with the facilities they have installed at our site, the software you mention, the Drivers' Stand, the PA System and the friendly atmosphere make it a very enjoyable experience.

It's a credit to Andrew and the guys in the Committee. We are very lucky to have people like this, it's also good to you guys benefiting from their good work. :) :)

James

Andrew's tracking system worked really well. But, just like some pit helpers cannot hold up fingers to count laps we discovered some pit helpers cannot press a trigger to activate the tracking system. :rolleyes: District 8 would also like to thank Eric for installing the system and Mike Hughes for making the stands for the counters.

JD

Worked Awesome. I had a heat of 40 Mod Tunnel were there was 6 boats. First 5 over the line jumped. The only one who did not was JD. I was able to judge the whole heat by myself and get the placing right at the end. As the heat was going I had no idea who was in 2nd through 6th. Worth the effort we put into getting it together. I only wish there was someway of incorperating it to the heat program so that Boat 1 becomes the drivers name and the placing are all done so all you have to do is go to the next heat. I still like it alot and so does the guys we race with.

Mike

I only wish there was someway of incorperating it to the heat program so that Boat 1 becomes the drivers name and the placing are all done so all you have to do is go to the next heat. Mike
Mike,

I am working on a full scoring program that includes the lap counting. Unfortunately at the rate I am currently progressing it will take a while to finish. I will let you know when it is finished and we can discuss the changes that will be needed for NAMBA rules.

Andrew

Worked Awesome. I had a heat of 40 Mod Tunnel were there was 6 boats. First 5 over the line jumped. The only one who did not was JD. I was able to judge the whole heat by myself and get the placing right at the end. As the heat was going I had no idea who was in 2nd through 6th. Worth the effort we put into getting it together. I only wish there was someway of incorperating it to the heat program so that Boat 1 becomes the drivers name and the placing are all done so all you have to do is go to the next heat. I still like it alot and so does the guys we race with.Mike

Anyway of using it for the NATS?

Robert Holland

We built it to use for the 2009 nats.
Does that mean you don't want to share?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I phrased that wrong. Anyway to transport it for Colorado to use for the 08 NATS? (I ask because I have not seen it nor do I know the size or all the equipment involved,) If that is not possible, is it a viable product to use as a counting/scoring system for a contest as large as the NATS and last but not least, do you reccomend that we look ito it for the 08 NATS? Can you post pics or send us somewhere via the internet to look at it.

By the way, that is a great picture of your record holding Gas Hydro.

Thanks,

Robert Holland

Colorado

That sounds awesome Andrew. Can't wait. Maybe by 09? That would be nice. Bill and Steve can give it the OK when they come to Washington.

Mike

Robert,

You guys are more than welcome to use our system. I would not recommend you go into a big race operating the race different than you are used to, that is the reason we built ours now. I am not suggesting that it is so complicated that it takes two years to learn quite the contrary. It would be a good idea to be very familiar with any method or tools you will use at the Nationals. Lord only knows there will be enough other issues to keep you busy that you want the actual race management to be like breathing. The parts cost us just under $150.00 if you have someone handy with a soldering iron and a good junk box you can cut those cost. I used automotive remote starter switches that were the most expensive item they cost $68.00 for eight of them. I just tied them into an old PC keyboard with a DB 25 plug so when you pull the starter switch trigger it is the same as pushing the button on the keyboard. Andrew to date has made his program available for free (I sure hope he comes our way in 2009. I know several people that will buy him beer). I do plan on spending about another $100.00 to add arcade style switches and a box for the penalty input and clock start at the CDs station, but the system works fine using the keyboard function keys for that too.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone here knows how great Andrew Young is.
Andrew is one of the nicest guys you are ever likely to meet. A good friend and an invaluable asset to r/c boat racing too. I've never seen him drink a beer though, and Aussies are known for doing that at any opportunity!

His latest incarnation of the race scoring program with the audio output is just awesome from a race directors perspective, and when the management interface is done it will be even better. (I have seen some of it BTW and it looks good so far! - the Beta Version gets it's initial "acid test" this coming weekend -in conjunction with Easytrack- at our annual event.)

Andrew,

I was going to call you but you will read this - I got that laptop I was talking to you about. Win2K, serial and parrallel port, 2 x USB's and a battery that holds a charge! Should do the job nicely this weekend. See you there.

TIm.

Several Australian clubs now use the program written in South Australia.

Has been used fopr many major events including last few nationals.

includes competitor name, classes, heats.. does draws, keep scores.. gives times. positions, penalties.. and tallies up final scores for places and such... does frequency clash checking and resolution....

has audio countdowns, .. tones for laps.. still uses pitmen for buttons.

needs a kitchen sink....

contact www.ampba.asn.au and look for their leader !

regards

Back