Refurbishing a RoadRunner 60

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I am refurbishing an old Roadrunner 60 and could really use the help of a builder here!

I am first working on the insides:

RadioBoxBefore.jpg

Before - broken servo mounts, brittle epoxy and oak mounts, crystal foam rubber, missing lip for lid, gooey and hardened seals.

Then a putty knife and the AMAZING Black & Decker Mouse sander, some wood strips, CA and Epoxy:

RadioBoxEmpty.jpg

FIRST FEW QUESTIONs: What about the DU-BRO throttle linkage? Will it leak? Should I change to something else?

Next, I don't know what to do with this!?!

BoomMountingBolt.jpg

I think the Tub is covered with monocoat plastic - is that typical? Should I take it off and paint?

ALSO - on the small (.18-.21) hydroplanes, the bottom really affects speed and is blueprinted and detailed - Nothing like this could be tolerated. Does it not affect the .60 Rigger? The 'plastic ripple', metal washer, and screw head are above the surface. WHAT SHOULD I DO (if anything)?

Thanks for any help you can give me - shooting for putting it on the water tomorrow!

Last edited:
Clint,

If you are painting the boat and putting in new servo mounts I would take your time

and not rush it to the water. A 80+ MPH 67 hydro needs to be safe to operate at those

speeds, time should not be a factor. Do a good job the first time.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Clint,
If you are painting the boat and putting in new servo mounts I would take your time

and not rush it to the water. A 80+ MPH 67 hydro needs to be safe to operate at those

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
Thanks Mark (I love your props). I am not going to paint at this time but I was wondering over what period of time epoxy gained strength - any ideas? Also, what about the existing monocoat plastic, boom-mounting bolts through the bottom, and DU-BRO throttle pushrod? Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks again

Clint,

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
Thanks Mark (I love your props). I am not going to paint at this time but I was wondering over what period of time epoxy gained strength - any ideas? Also, what about the existing monocoat plastic, boom-mounting bolts through the bottom, and DU-BRO throttle pushrod? Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks again
Great recovery job on the radio box! :)

The boom-mounting bolts through the bottom are standard practice, having a raised "flange" will not effect performance. The areas that you should make as sharp as possible are ends of the front and rear sponsons.

I don't know anything about monocoat other than it's something you apply to an airplane. The Du-Bro throttle pushrod might be ok as long as it is water tight and gives absolute control of the carb.

If you need any more help give me a shout.

-Buck-

The only thing that would worry me is if the boat had been run with monocoat on it is if it ever had been run and gets water under it it is bad on the wood because it does not dry out very good. Seen it happen on airplane floats.

Bob

I have seen a lot of guys use that linkage for the throttle make sure you remove the smaller rod on the inside and put grease in the larger tube it helps keep water out of the radio box. I use the same setup on my twin and 40 riggers and never had a problem.

That looks like a paint scheme from a guy in Lakeland,Fl named Ron Lauderdale,I bought a

90 RR from him 10-12yrs ago,same paint scheme.It is not monocoat,he had all his boats

painted at a local bodyshop.If you are seeing a little peeling in some places it is the

clearcoat.He also had Ralph at RR boats rig all of his boats for him.

Next Hurdle: When mounting the FM receiver and Battery Pack in a fast outrigger, how much vibration (and potential collison) protection do I need to provide? Receiver in a balloon and battery pack in another balloon for water protection but should I wrap them in Foam and rubber band them down, mount them in a padded box inside the radiobox? (It is nice to have so much room to work with!).

I know there is probably a dozen ways to do it but I just don't know them - HELP!

All Ideas are welcome - here's what is looks like now:

RadioBoxInterim.jpg

Clint, I use a piece of foam and fill the area between the servos and then made a cutout for the battery and reciever and then put a thin layer of foam on top. I did not want the battery to be able to move around. I will try and take a photo tonite and send it to you. how are the servo brackets held on?

Kelly

Hey! 007, That looks like the rigger I was beat out of on e-bay 2weeks ago or more (lol), "Congrats" Happy to see a that you are getting it ready to run,

Reather be beat out of the boat by a fellow boater ,than some one just tryin to buy it, to resell (back on e-bay)to make a buck.

Lookin for a new one now, does any one know if you can still get a new one or just keep my eye open for a used one.

I need two pit men,one to tell me the laps and were the dead boats are ,and one to hold me up.

Good luck with the rr rigger,be safe and have fun.

Clint, I use a piece of foam and fill the area between the servos and then made a cutout for the battery and reciever and then put a thin layer of foam on top. I did not want the battery to be able to move around. I will try and take a photo tonite and send it to you. how are the servo brackets held on?
Kelly
Kelly - the old picture doesn't show it. I have used 1/8" aircraft plywood sheet that is epoxyed in and has blind nuts holding stainless screws (flat head under blind nut) to create secure studs for each bracket.

Hey! 007, That looks like the rigger I was beat out of on e-bay 2weeks ago or more (lol), "Congrats" Happy to see a that you are getting it ready to run,Reather be beat out of the boat by a fellow boater ,than some one just tryin to buy it, to resell (back on e-bay)to make a buck.

Lookin for a new one now, does any one know if you can still get a new one or just keep my eye open for a used one.

I need two pit men,one to tell me the laps and were the dead boats are ,and one to hold me up.

Well, I had worthy opponents anyway (Don Ferrette bid also). The ebay auctions with 'hidden bidders' like that one takes the fun out of it! :D

Where do you race (you might see it fly by sometime ;) )?

Hey! 007, That looks like the rigger I was beat out of on e-bay 2weeks ago or more (lol), "Congrats" Happy to see a that you are getting it ready to run,Reather be beat out of the boat by a fellow boater ,than some one just tryin to buy it, to resell (back on e-bay)to make a buck.

Well, I had worthy opponents anyway (Don Ferrette bid also). The ebay auctions with 'hidden bidders' like that one takes the fun out of it! :D

Where do you race (you might see it fly by sometime ;) )?
In Elmira NY, I live in Liverpool (Syracuse) NY, Where they useto run the big Unlimited Hydros, on Onodaga lake at long branch park in mid 80's to 91 ,,I think was the last race they had there ,,"mis them", "right in my back yard", well 1 mile away , but seemed to sound Closer.

May Some time ower paths meet ,on the Water Battle feild of RC boat racing.I say to you," Good luck and get out of the way(LOL!) Here from you some time and good luck with all your boats

P.S. This was my sport 20 ( building new one).

Kelly
Kelly - the old picture doesn't show it. I have used 1/8" aircraft plywood sheet that is epoxyed in and has blind nuts holding stainless screws (flat head under blind nut) to create secure studs for each bracket.
I decided to scrape the 1/8" plywood and use 1/16" carbon fiber instead - I will post pictures later

Though some might be interested in the side-by-side 'Before' and 'After' pictures:

RadioBoxBefore.jpg

RadioBoxAfter.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I'd NEVER run the 4 cell battery holder in any boat - let alone a 67 rigger. Seen plenty of boats damaged by those things failing or a cell popping out of them. Sure you can tape the cells in, but that doens't stop the plastic failing.

Pre-assembled 5 cell packs are the only way to go.

Personally, I'd NEVER run the 4 cell battery holder in any boat - let alone a 67 rigger. Seen plenty of boats damaged by those things failing or a cell popping out of them. Sure you can tape the cells in, but that doens't stop the plastic failing.Pre-assembled 5 cell packs are the only way to go.
ABSO-FRIKKIN-LUTELY!!!!!!! Toss that 4 cell holder in the trash! Spend $20-$25 on a hi quality 5 cell nicad or nimh pack. I've been buying from these guys for years- http://www.batteriesamerica.com/

Back