Nitro/Gas engine question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2FAST4U

Ok here goes I have a 58" thundercat hull the guy tells me I can use nitro or gas engines nitro is a .90-1.0 gas is a 23-35. Ok all the sites ive looked at none of the 23-35 gas engines compare to the .90 nitro engine in h.p and weight so why use gas? seems nitro is going to weigh less and have more power which to me means a lighter and faster boat. does any of this make any since.?

gas engines are typically more reliable [dont stall as much and stuff like that], easier to start, and, of course, the fuel is much cheaper and easier to get. if you get a finnicky nitro engine, and there's no way of telling before you start using it, you'll REALLY wish you got gas. if you get a good one, it'll be almost as easy and alot better performing.

Joe

To start the .90, you're going to need a very good starter, probably a 24-volt model and .90's are nitro hogs. Plan on burning about a gallon at every race or outing with it. The Gas engines don't have the RPM's but they make up for it in torque thus turning higher pitched blades.

GO GAS.

Unless you have deep pockets.

a boat that size, sometimes they handle better with the more weight.

get a modded G26 and pipe, I really dont think you will be unhappy. 1.50 a gal for gas or 21.50 for nitro.

and the big motors DOOOO LIKE THERE FUEL.

2Fast,

I am guessing you are a relative newbie, in which case a 90 or 100 is really not a good place to start nitro boating. They are difficult to start, use lots of expensive fuel and are generally hard to get on with for someone who is not experienced.

For such a big boat you would be better off going gas.

Nitrocrazed racing: We all start somewhere. I started with electrics....

These days modified gas engines are getting close to the power of a nitro 90. I beat a nitro powered cat in open offshore with a gas cat, not because of speed, but from reliability. He used nearly a gallon of fuel (at $30+) during the 10 minute run. A 24 oz. tank of gasoline was more than enough for my cat.

Lohring Miller

Back