Poll-Orginal Silver Bullet 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To those that have run the Orginal Silver Buller Pipe

• very satisified

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • somewhat satisfies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just "ok"

• it sucks!

• Total voters

htbboats

A few days ago I recieved a email from someone very disappointed with his Orginal Silver Buller pipe. I will not mention his name, that is not my intent. He says that it was the source of all his troubles and that it "Sucks"

He told me all he want through trying to get it to run and he put on another pipe and it ran fine. I'm not doubting that knowing that one pipe does not always work on all applications. I guess what I'm after here is the opinion of those that have had one. I'm really opening myself up here but I'm a big boy and I can take whatever comes. Take the poll and prove him right or wrong! Comments welcome!

Mark Hopper

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nothing like a good kick in the gut huh Mark?

~James "Proud to be an HTB dealer" Clegg

I won't vote on the poll for the fact that it's all about the engine / pipe combination. Just because it didn't work on engine X doesn't mean it won't work on engine's Y and Z.

I tend to collect pipes just like prop's - because I know that one pipe might work very well on one engine and completely suck on another. When I start playing with a new engine I dig out all of the pipes in my collection and re-test them all for this very reason.

I've seen the original silver bullet pipe work very, very well on a CMB greenhead engine. However, I found is it's hard to physically get it short enough on an engine with mild exhaust timing like the OS, so you can "over-run" the pipe's band. (I assume this is why the HP version has the steeper rear cone.)

Mark - at the end of the day you make nice stuff for the boating community that you should be very proud of. Don't let it get you down. For the one negative I'll bet there are at least 10 positives.

Tim.

A few days ago I recieved a email from someone very disappointed with his Orginal Silver Buller pipe. I will not mention his name, that is not my intent. He says that it was the source of all his troubles and that it "Sucks"He told me all he want through trying to get it to run and he put on another pipe and it ran fine. I'm not doubting that knowing that one pipe does not always work on all applications. I guess what I'm after here is the opinion of those that have had one. I'm really opening myself up here but I'm a big boy and I can take whatever comes. Take the poll and prove him right or wrong! Comments welcome!

Mark Hopper
Mark I think the pipe on 3.5 Rossi is awsome. My motor is stock but it brings it to life especialty at the end of the staight away. The motor runs great. I have it butting the header. Thanks Dave from CT.

I won't vote on the poll for the fact that it's all about the engine / pipe combination. Just because it didn't work on engine X doesn't mean it won't work on engine's Y and Z.I tend to collect pipes just like prop's - because I know that one pipe might work very well on one engine and completely suck on another. When I start playing with a new engine I dig out all of the pipes in my collection and re-test them all for this very reason.

I've seen the original silver bullet pipe work very, very well on a CMB greenhead engine. However, I found is it's hard to physically get it short enough on an engine with mild exhaust timing like the OS, so you can "over-run" the pipe's band. (I assume this is why the HP version has the steeper rear cone.)

Mark - at the end of the day you make nice stuff for the boating community that you should be very proud of. Don't let it get you down. For the one negative I'll bet there are at least 10 positives.

Tim.
good stuff Tim!

a lot of people seem to think they can just put a pipe on and away they go.

Mark I have had a similar email on an OB pipe only to eventually find out that the engine had no compression and bad bearings.

Regards

Dave

I will say that it work OK for me. It is not the pipe that I run now. I could not get the motor to make the revs that I needed. It does not suck, it is just 4 mph slowwer than what I run now. I do the same with pipes as Tim does. If it don't work now, it may some day. I love the 7.5 on the nelson. Works awesome.

Mike

As far as I know I have one of these on my Nasty mitro, and the people at the CMB Tunnel race know how good my combo ran.

I think indeed its the combination, but thats not to say that it a bad pipe.

Ronald.

As far as I know I have one of these on my Nasty mitro, and the people at the CMB Tunnel race know how good my combo ran.
I think indeed its the combination, but thats not to say that it a bad pipe.

Ronald.
This one Ronald?

Pic by Mark "OB Nut" Scott! Credit where credit's due!

I have had good luck with all silver bullet pipes. keep up the good work Mr. Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Scott

Hey Mark

as you know I have several pipes from you and I'm very happy with them.

Keep up the good work.

Greets Marc

After looking at the photo's on the HTB and OvalExpress websites i'm wondering if mine actually is an HP pipe. Especially since it is mounted on an OS. I had the problem described above regarding the pipe length. I shortend the manifold as far as i could resonably go and still had to take some from the inlet of the pipe as you can see from the pic. It still will not second stage (in my limited noob experience). I am wondering because as stated above, different pipes work well on different motors. If this is not an HP pipe and an HP works better on an OS then that is what I will need to go to. This is NOT a bash of this pipe, just a newbie looking for advice.

sb_pipe

Bill, I'm 98% sure that is a HP pipe that you have. Does your OS have stock timing?

~James

It was a stock motor when I was trying to setup the pipe. The motor is now in Gene Mongars hands. He did ask if I was going to run it with a pipe or stock exhaust and I told him the SB HP pipe, other than that I asked him to work the motor to his suggestions as I dont even know what to ask for. I assume that since he asked about the pipe he will be changing the exhaust timing.

Then you should be set, I tried to say this in the post you started about your two boats, but kept getting that stupid 404 error. You are in good hands with Gene. As Mike said the stock timing on a OS is very conservative, but it works very well with the stock muffler. A full length dual cone "tuned pipe" is much different.

Gene will get you right.

~James

Read all the way through before making judgment

Well heres my SB pipe story, I thought at first man this pipes sucks. No power, had to turn a small prop. Length did not change it at all. Tried new bearings, piston liner, I was going to take a hammer to this peice of crap pipe. Tried a different pipe and it worked fine. I thought this pipe looks great the design is sound what the heck could be wrong with it. Like I said I was about to smash the thing with a hammer. Then I changed the fuel cell and what a difference. IT was like night and day, the thing rips no matter the length I run it at. It pulls many different props. And to think I was going to smash it.

Remeber when you think you tried every thing think again. Thanks for an awesome pipe Mark. Boat was an HTB290 with CMB green head. The pipe works flawlessly on my new boat with the RS power head.

Brian Nelsen

The original SB pipe is all i have ever run, Its user friendly easy to set, and on my nova rossi i could mill to the start and when i got on it BYE BYE Mark tryed to get me to try his others but i just couldnt. I like it that much it ran in the 50"s consistantly. Good product Mark oh Buddy. See ya at the race in jackson this weekend.

Tom

James

It does not suck. :lol:

I have since edited the post. The early statement is true too. :blink: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back