STICK VS. WHEEL TRANSMITTER

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Doerr

Supporting Member
I am very interested in hearing opinions of racers who have switched between both style inputs and what they think... especially the drivers who always seem to outdrive everyone.

Norm Doerr

I fly planes and race boats. I used to use a stick for both. Now I use a wheel transmitter for boats and I would not go back to sticks. I find the wheel and trigger to be more intuitive for running boats. I also think the trigger allows quicker throttle reaction than with a stick.

I fly planes and race boats. I used to use a stick for both. Now I use a wheel transmitter for boats and I would not go back to sticks. I find the wheel and trigger to be more intuitive for running boats. I also think the trigger allows quicker throttle reaction than with a stick.
Not to mention that old stick term "dumb thumbs" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I began running boats with stick radios. However, I've been running wheel radios for probably the last 30 years.

The most successful r/c boat racer in our area the last couple of years, Eric Bourlet, runs stick radios.

JD

Up until last year, I have always used pistol grip transmitters since I started boating 13 years ago. Just last year I used a stick radio for the simple fact that I could put the throttle in any position for idle and it would stay. I quickly found that with stick radio, for some reason I could drive "smoother." I agree that with stick you have slower reaction time on throttle and steering, this is why all RC car racers use pistol grip. I do feel that I still have plenty fast enough reaction time with the stick(maybe its because Im only 22 years old) I seriously have found that I cant track straiter and make smoother turns with the stick radio. A few guys in my distric that I believe to be amazing drivers, (Ron Zaker Jr., Dave & Gary Pruesse) use stick also. It still all comes down to personal preference, there is no right or wrong here. I honestly feel one can drive a better oval with stick though, not to mention keep the throttle at a steady rate as long as u want.

Larry Jr.

I tried a stick radio once.. I say key word ONCE.. lol..

It was with a helicopter.. didn't even get past hoovering twice.. went through almost 300.00 in blades and decided two things..

1. Helicopters are not for me.

2. i can't use a stick radio lol.

Like larry said thought.. i have seen guys like ron and dave use them.. i for one just can't get the hang of it.

one thing to consider be a wheel vs stick.. make sure what ever you choose that the features that you use.. say third channel. trims ect are easily accessable..

two many times i see people with various radios taking there eye off the boat to find the 3rd channel or some other button..

one time i seen a guy with a futaba standing next to me.. out of the corner of my eye i caught him with his head turned to his pit helper ( take in mind this is during a race ) talking to him not watching his boat, and messing with the 3rd channel on the top of the radio...

lol, looked like a blind guy trying to set the distributor timing on a small block lol with the freshly painted headers just a smoking away LOL!!!!!!!

chris

I agree with Larry. I fly planes and have raced cars extensively. I prefer a stick radio for boats. And a wheel for cars. I can drive a wheel pretty well, but am smoother with a stick radio.

Probably the best rc car racer ever, Masami drives a stick radio as do alot of european drivers.

Wheel for me.

As for putting "the stick in any position for idle and it stays" I find the new radios have so many features that surely one can find a way to set the idle as you like it. And when racing, who lets off the throttle ever?? :D

I also wonder if the reason guys can't drive smoothly is because of all of the dual rates and exp rates. If these are not set well, then the wheel radios seem to be hard to turn smoothly.

I haven't tried sticks on boats, ever though.

Brian

well,,I have also used both when I first started running boats and bought a futuba weel radio and used then since!! I have better control with the wheel and trigger and can also change my needle setting just by useing my thumb while on the fly,,,no pun intended!!!

Sticks for me, Mode I at that (throttle on the RHS). :eek:

Tried a wheel a few times and never felt comfortable with it, also like to be able to put the throttle in any position and leave it.

I'm sure not one of those "drivers who always seem to outdrive everyone" though! :lol:

I also wonder if the reason guys can't drive smoothly is because of all of the dual rates and exp rates. If these are not set well, then the wheel radios seem to be hard to turn smoothly.
Yup! I've seen lots of people who have way too much throw in their steering. As far as dual rates end EPA goes, ideally, the throws should be set close to correct mechanically and then fine tuned mechanically.

Raced sucessfully FSR for almost 10 years(from 1977-1986) using first a Simprop 2 channel stick radio and then a Multiplex FM 4 channel stick and since 1986 I've been in oval racing only with wheel .

Gill

Probably the best rc car racer ever, Masami drives a stick radio as do alot of european drivers.
I agree with that statement. I witnessed his driving at an off-road world champs - truly an amazing driver. Made some of the other big names in the A mains look very average.

Pistol for my Tunnels and stick for my Hydros. With a hydro its all about being smooth, with a tunnel you have to have a lighting quick throttle, The throttle trigger gives me that with my tunnels.

Grimracer

I never had tried the stick but watching a well known racer the stick makes sense as having the throttle and steering on one stick leaving the other stick to run the third channel.The third channel had a needle vavle with full flow to no flow and could use the stick to dial it in then used the trim for fine tuning.With the setup you get the motor to run throw it to the water and go from there.You have the full effect without having to guess where your needle vavle is.Wonder why he wins so many US1.If i had some extra cash would like to try it.Just a tought? :blink:

Fellas,

I will never forget, I started with a stick radio and had no real problems at all. Then I went to

the Hydro-Masters one year in Indy. I had Marty Davis coach me on the radio and I could never

put the boat where he told me it needed to be. When I got home I switched to a wheel radio

and have never looked back. Now I can put the boat just about anywhere on the course.

One other observation,most vehicles all have a wheel for steering,except a tank,& bulldozer. :D

All Personal Preference,

Mark Sholund

Being another old airplane flier, I too, started racing boats with the stick radios. Not many others around this area at the time used them, either. When I was finally convinced to switch to a wheel radio, I felt like my driving improved ( there was a LOT of room for that! ). Maybe I was trying to keep up with my son's skills at the time ( tough thing to do ). Sent three nice Futaba 3EGX radios to Mr Keeley that won a lot of races ( and two US-1's ) for me. I believe I still have one on the shelf in the garage.............Terry?

Dick Tyndall

I never had tried the stick but watching a well known racer the stick makes sense as having the throttle and steering on one stick leaving the other stick to run the third channel.The third channel had a needle vavle with full flow to no flow and could use the stick to dial it in then used the trim for fine tuning.With the setup you get the motor to run throw it to the water and go from there.You have the full effect without having to guess where your needle vavle is.Wonder why he wins so many US1.If i had some extra cash would like to try it.Just a tought? :blink:
and my latest stick transmitter operated boat is a 5 channel B tunnel . ERNIE

Back