Spectrum radio's and receivers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinsrule

Since the intro of the spectrum radio's and now the receivers and module for the Futaba radio's are any of you guys using them? I have one for a 3pk and am uneasy in installing it in a boat until I get some sort of feedback on there reliability.

The feedback I have heard is that the short antenna sometimes limits the range compared to standard FM.

What the maximum range is could be determined by doing an extensive range-check with a buddy and find out exactly how far is too far. Much better than crashing a boat and finding out the hard way.

Please post your results for others to learn from. Charlie............

Charlie,

I was hoping that someone else had already performed this test and would have answers to my question. I truely wish not to be the first lab rat to give a crash report on using the spectrum in the boats.

Off topic a bit I have heard though there are glitches and delays in the HRS system that Futaba has so with that said I will not go that route.

Take the reciever apart and make sure the antenna is soldered to the board properly, Make sure you have 3 inches of antenna out of the boat, do a range check before you go out the first time, set your fail safe and everything should be OK. I've ran 2 spectrums in 3 boats at 9 races this summer with no problems. We even ran boats to the far end of the lake to get on the clock.

Hi all , been using Spektrum module in a JR R1 for at least 6 months now , racing and playing , gas and nitro boats , i have had no problems with the receivers but you need to check that the antenna is routed correctly inside it ( check the website for details) but all the new stuff should have that problem rectified by now

other than that i have never had a problem , the range is less than a normal Tx sytem , but ample for oval racing ,i would NOT use it for a SAW type event where you are going a long way away to line up a trap run....

im gonna put my neck on the block and say about 400 m range is what i have found before the failsafe cuts in , its not a huge range but geez its nice to be able to turn my boat / Tx on whenever i want and never have interference or cause problems with other boaters , and it a **** site easier for the man organising the heats .....

This is what I have found .. other people may have had other experiences , just hope it helps

Andrew

Hi all , been using Spektrum module in a JR R1 for at least 6 months now , racing and playing , gas and nitro boats , i have had no problems with the receivers but you need to check that the antenna is routed correctly inside it ( check the website for details) but all the new stuff should have that problem rectified by now

other than that i have never had a problem , the range is less than a normal Tx sytem , but ample for oval racing ,i would NOT use it for a SAW type event where you are going a long way away to line up a trap run....

im gonna put my neck on the block and say about 400 m range is what i have found before the failsafe cuts in , its not a huge range but geez its nice to be able to turn my boat / Tx on whenever i want and never have interference or cause problems with other boaters , and it a **** site easier for the man organising the heats .....

I have also taken to mounting the Rx on the underside of the radio box lid to make sure you get the most antenna height .. as Wesley indicated

This is what I have found .. other people may have had other experiences , just hope it helps

I wont be going back to the older sytem

Andrew

Hi all , been using Spektrum module in a JR R1 for at least 6 months now , racing and playing , gas and nitro boats , i have had no problems with the receivers but you need to check that the antenna is routed correctly inside it ( check the website for details) but all the new stuff should have that problem rectified by nowother than that i have never had a problem , the range is less than a normal Tx sytem , but ample for oval racing ,i would NOT use it for a SAW type event where you are going a long way away to line up a trap run....

Andrew

I have also taken to mounting the Rx on the underside of the radio box lid to make sure you get the most antenna height .. as Wesley indicated

I wont be going back to the older sytem

Andrew

The first testing with Spectrum 2 years ago showed a serious range problem, but since then

it seems the bugs are getting worked out. The loss of total control was never an issue, if

failsafe was set. The radio would just go into failsafe if there was a range problem, which

was a lost heat in racing, or an aggravation for sport boaters. Recently I've watched many

boaters using the system with no problems, still it seems that careful set-up is mandatory!

In a few years it will be the only thing used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some testing (futabas new system) and I would not fear this system.

Here is a new offering from Futaba.. about time.

Grim

Link below

DSM

I seriously doubt that, way too much existing 75mhz stuff out there. And contrary to what's being implied they still have issues although substantial improvements have been made. These systems do not like being close to alot of metal such as tuned pipes & I have been told that instructions for certain ones tell you to keep them away from metals which kinda makes it tough on say an outrigger. Keep in mind these systems are targeted at the car guys & still have shorter range than conventional 27 or 75mhz systems. They may be getting there but they ain't all the way there yet. :blink:

I seriously doubt that, way too much existing 75mhz stuff out there. And contrary to what's being implied they still have issues although substantial improvements have been made. These systems do not like being close to alot of metal such as tuned pipes & I have been told that instructions for certain ones tell you to keep them away from metals which kinda makes it tough on say an outrigger. Keep in mind these systems are targeted at the car guys & still have shorter range than conventional 27 or 75mhz systems. They may be getting there but they ain't all the way there yet. :blink:
Hi all , i have been told the same thing about metals , on all my boats gas rigger/mono/hydro the antenna is within 2 inches of aluminium and steel tuned pipes , and basically the same height with no problems

one of the guys in our club is buying a new DSM system , not sure what brand but apparently it has well and truely sorted the range issue , and is easily comparable to standard systems today , i will keep you posted about what it is

Gonna have to disagree with Don , i too think this gear is definately the near future , esp with all the other stuff flying through the airwaves now that wasnt around 5-10 years ago :)

Two guys in are club ditched the system to many headaches.Fail safes kicking in Row Row The boat.LOL

A buddy of mine runs the Futabe 3PK with the spectrum system....All he had was problems today...He runs a gas hydro thats well into the 80's and lost signal and failsafe didnt kick in...Needless to say it stuck itself into the mud bank a good 8".... :blink: .....Then it did it again but the fail safe kicked in...Not sure what the prob was needless to say should be a interesting race in Miami next weekend... :eek:

For those starving for more 2.4 gig radio news try :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579963 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579419. Sorry, pistol grip guys, these are stick type transmitter systems. But they seem to have great range!! One was operating under a stainless kitchen sink with a rod sticking out the drain hole to show it was still operating correctly. Yeow!

Rudy

Back