Bantam 12 info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1outlaw

Theres alot of riggers where i run and there pretty fascinating from a newbee point of view......Some of them are crazy fast .. :eek: ....Anyway this is something i would like to try on a entry level basis.....Looking at the Bantam 12.....Looking at the instructions theres some things i dont understand(ie sanding sponsons to a 3* angle and how this can effect performance). I have never built a boat before but this one seems straight forward except for a few things i dont understand the wording.... :unsure:

So is this a good starter rigger boat??

How hard is build???

And it states speeds depending on set-up from 40-60mph...Is this with a .12 or are we talking different size engines....Thats a big difference in speeds

Thanks

I can take a stab at these answers for you.

If you have never run a model boat I don't think any rigger is a good one to start with. If you have run a few boats the transition to the bantam should be easy. If you have experienced people around you to help, you could do it as your first boat though.

Build,.. have you ever built a model plane? It's easier than that, you just have to take your time and keep things square. I have a table top belt sander. It really helps a lot.

40-60 Good question. That is with a .12. I stated that because I don't want someone to think they can build the boat, put a used cheap Chinese motor in it and expect it to go 60 MPH. They run mid 50's average. My best setup would run 60.

The Bantam is long for it's size. This makes it tought to launch but very stable at speed. If you have it set up to be fast you have to lauch it like a bowling ball. Can be frustrating if you didn't know that.

I have a short video if your interested...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes we run boats......2 Modded Vegas's, 1 modded hammed, and 1 mono Dumas...Yeah there not real fast but thats what we started with.....I find the rigger's interesting....Like i said im just not on some of the lingo on the build-up since im not familiar with riggers.....The part on sanding the sponsons when building them???....Apparently this drastically effects the way the boat runs i wouldnt want to do it wrong...

Looking at the pics it appears it has a car motor in it since its air cooled...Wouldnt a watercooled motor be a better choice or is that the preferred way???

Thanks Jason

Send Vid to [email protected]

Last edited:
There are no high performance water cooled engines in the .12 - .18 size right now. Most if not all the .12 riggers I've seen are running air cooled heads. The thing is, when you run an engine that small with a lot of nitro (lots of fuel going through) it doesn't need alot of cooling. You actually need to cut the cooling fins down to 3-5 fins to get the engine to run at the right temp. The car motors cooling heads are designed to run under the cowl of the car. The Bantam runs with the head in the open air. (unless you get a cowl) When that engine is running through the open air at 50-55 mph it's gets too much cooling, so you have to cut the fins back to get it hot. (won't go fast till they're hot)

I'll be happy to help you through any of the instructions if you need, whether you buy one or not. The angle on the bottom of the sponsons is called the dyhedral. It's not hard to get this right, you just have to take your time and use a tool that measures the angle as you sand. No biggy really.

The FF.12 is a great boat too.

Yes we run boats......2 Modded Vegas's, 1 modded hammed, and 1 mono Dumas...Yeah there not real fast but thats what we started with.....I find the rigger's interesting....Like i said im just not on some of the lingo on the build-up since im not familiar with riggers.....The part on sanding the sponsons when building them???....Apparently this drastically effects the way the boat runs i wouldnt want to do it wrong...

Looking at the pics it appears it has a car motor in it since its air cooled...Wouldnt a watercooled motor be a better choice or is that the preferred way???

Thanks Jason

Send Vid to [email protected]

Anthony send me Vid......For what your offering im sure i will send my business your way..... :D ..Any and all help i can get is appreciated... B)

Thanks Jason

Back