Prather Deep Vee set-up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_makdaddy

Hi everyone!

Any veteran boaters have any setup ideas to help get the porpoising out of boat? Besides shooting the dolphin. I have a 31"X 6" approximate D V with a k&b 3.5 o/b on it. C.G. is at 28 percent of hull or 8.5".

Any Idea where the propshaft should be and the angle of lower? I think I am lost so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:D Thanks John

that's a fun boat once it's set up. i ran mine with the center line of the prop just about even with the keel. depending on other factors, you may need to move the prop slightly up or down. i spent a lot of time changing the angle to match whatever conditions i was running in before i put trim tabs on the boat. after the addition of tabs, i put a flat angle on the prop. my favorite prop was an Octura x438. it seemed to be the best all around prop on there. i think my CG was slightly forward of where your's is, but i haven't run mine in over a year and i'm not too sure. hope that helps.

that's a fun boat once it's set up. i ran mine with the center line of the prop just about even with the keel. depending on other factors, you may need to move the prop slightly up or down. i spent a lot of time changing the angle to match whatever conditions i was running in before i put trim tabs on the boat. after the addition of tabs, i put a flat angle on the prop. my favorite prop was an Octura x438. it seemed to be the best all around prop on there. i think my CG was slightly forward of where your's is, but i haven't run mine in over a year and i'm not too sure. hope that helps.
Could you explain what a flat angle on the prop is ? I'm currently trying a prather P215 maybe I should run an Octura ?

Thanks for the info I'll try it tomorrow rain permmitting ? John :rolleyes:

Tell us a little more about your setup so we have more to base suggestions on. Is it surface, subsurface, how far back is the prop from the transom, etc.? Does the situation continue through the fuel load or does it change for the better when the load is light?

the 215 is a decent prop on the the prather vee. by a flat angle i meant that the prop should be parallel to the keel. i hope you have a adjustable mount, IMO its a must have for any outboard. although i don't run nitro anymore, i ran a my prather for several years and think i had it tuned pretty good. i only ran 3 different props on it...a 215, X438 and X440. the 440 wasn't very good. the 215 ran good, but it loads the motor more and can make it more finicky to conditions. the 438 let the motor rev higher, and for whatever reason, it was easier to set up.

Tell us a little more about your setup so we have more to base suggestions on. Is it surface, subsurface, how far back is the prop from the transom, etc.? Does the situation continue through the fuel load or does it change for the better when the load is light?
The setup is about 2" back of trans. and has what I think is a k&b adjustable mount ? has open slots to raise and lower engine looks very similar to a prather mount I purchased for a 7.5 o/b. Other than that I am unfamiliar with the surface/subsurface designation? I now have set up for slightly more forward C.G. about 31 percent as to 28 earlier, will try it and let you know if this helps.

Thanks again John :)

If you call Prather (310-835-4764) they will mail you assembly and set-up instructions free.........

Bob the Fool :blink:

Latest posts

Back