Bandwidth! Holy Cow!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

we have exceeded our bandwidth again this month! we normally have 10 gigs transfer.... we beat that on the 20th. today again we exceeded 15gigs that I purchased additionally. Today I had to buy more! Good thing we have a little money to spare from last year! I've done this a bunch of times now. It's almost time to renew again, looks like we will need to get a lot more bandwidth. I'm kinda thinking that the new forum version takes more? Probably the pro hosting with 25 gigs of transfer for $324 but that's a lot of $$$

ya guys want a BLOG for everyone to use... honestly the chat is unused and I dont think we will get that again.

Something that would probably help is if people stopped quoting pictures. I can't remember the numer of times I've seen the same picture(s) quoted over and over. If someone's adding a one or 2 line response, either use the add reply button, or quote, but then delete the extra stuff, like pics.

Something that would probably help is if people stopped quoting pictures. I can't remember the numer of times I've seen the same picture(s) quoted over and over. If someone's adding a one or 2 line response, either use the add reply button, or quote, but then delete the extra stuff, like pics.
quoted pictures are usually hosted not on the forum server so it does not really have an effect

Tom, I dont get it, Is there any way to run down what is eating up all the bandwidth?

I have been dumping attachments after the post falls to page two, But I have not noticed a unusuall amount of attachments either,

Gene :D

Just read your BLOG, The part about LaGrange, :lol: :lol: :lol: Ive done tha same thing, Suddenly Im twenty over the speed limit ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom:

Would you mind sharing what your hosting requirements are (database type, PHP extensions, total storage capacity)? I use a hosting company for my site, namba.com, and a few others that allows for unmetered bandwidth. Retail is $99 per year.

We have a completely free server through MikeP but the forum is hosted professionally cause we always have had problems in the past. Recently my time has become limited so I would be unable to fix any major problems. Hence the professional hosting by the guys that wrote the script. Anything goes wrong they will know how to fix it. We were hacked once even professionally hosted but it was fixed in just an hour or so..... I doubt I would have ever been able to fix it.

The chat room has been underused that I know of as I haven't seen anyone in a long time posting anything about having a gab session. There are some free chat room services like www.spinchat.com that you could link to. The last time that I tried to go in there it still wasn't working.

We have a completely free server through MikeP but the forum is hosted professionally cause we always have had problems in the past. Recently my time has become limited so I would be unable to fix any major problems. Hence the professional hosting by the guys that wrote the script. Anything goes wrong they will know how to fix it. We were hacked once even professionally hosted but it was fixed in just an hour or so..... I doubt I would have ever been able to fix it.
They won't support/fix if the data existed on a hosted server in another location? Access to code is access to code. Most of the true hosting providers have multi-level server/hardware redundancy, are firewalled, have multiple fiber sources coming into different points of the building, and run network appliances that provide intrusion detection and fight network attacks before they ever get to your server. If, though, the hack is done at the application level, I would presume that they would support and fix that no matter where the application was installed. Attacks via such methods as SQL injection should be anticipated and dealt with in the code. It is likely, though, that the photo gallery, photos in posts, and any other images used to support the discussion board are what's killing you. Everybody loves to see photos and the file size of each photo is substantially smaller than the data packet used to load a forum.

Nonetheless, in my brief search of providers, among those who charge for bandwidth the least amount I have seen is 40 gig and most are at 60 gig. Given the use experience of International Waters I would think you could negotiate more bandwidth from the provider.

Perhaps the other problem is that it appears that a server you have provided is sitting in their rack space. I can tell you, though, that I have had a full locking cabinet made available by the hosting provider with four web servers, two database servers, a monitor/keyboard and switch hosted by Time Warner for just a little bit more than what you are paying a month and had unlimited redundant bandwidth. In my opinion, you're being taken.

Tom , i'm pretty sure that people would be paying for the extra cost of the hosting .

324 $ looks alot but im sure those 2200 members will get that managed ;)

An easy way to do so :

Divide the cost by a number , lets say 15 $ , makes 22 members ?

Or 10 $ , makes 33 members

I'm sure u'll find enough members to pay for .

And if u would do it in this case , then u have one person less to find ;)

Best Regards ,

Then again hmm Its all GENER's fault lol , lets blame him :)

( kidding gene lol , glad u're back :) )

Hey Bart,

Yea if all else fails blame me, Why not :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gener B)

Tom,

I wonder if 100% professional support for the forum is avalible at a remote site.

IW has come a long way from when it was at your house.

MikeP

Tom,

I wonder if 100% professional support for the forum is avalible at a remote site.

IW has come a long way from when it was at your house.

MikeP
yea that's right... ya guys remember when i used to host the site off my dsl line? :) that was fun but I had plenty of time to play with it.

ill ask and see what they say.

I would be more than happy to donate to the site to keep things going. I'm sure I speak for a lot of other members as well. As a matter of fact, I clicked the donation link the day I registered. Just setup a PayPal account and put those donations into bandwidth and future hardware upgrades. B)

Set up a Paypal account again let people contribute to the site. We pay hundreds of dollars a year for this hobby( don't tell my wife) so $20 bucks from 20 people for Intlwaters is nothing. I say lets get the more bandwith and that will be one less headache for Tom.

Dave Van Duzer

I will match what ever Bob Morton(Wizard) donates :D

Set up a Paypal account again let people contribute to the site. We pay hundreds of dollars a year for this hobby( don't tell my wife) so $20 bucks from 20 people for Intlwaters is nothing. I say lets get the more bandwith and that will be one less headache for Tom.

Dave Van Duzer

I will match what ever Bob Morton(Wizard) donates :D
And this time do it in the evening as last 2 times it was during the day & I missed out on donating before ya closed it off. :rolleyes:

I would hate to see the chat room go by the wayside. I've had some excellent conversations in it. Maybe you could set a specific chat night. And would moving the chat bar that tells you who is in the room to the top of the screen help so you could see who is in the room without scrolling to the bottom of the screen.

Personal pics? Some are fairly large. With cable people don't realise it but go on a dial-up connection and watch how slow all the personal pics take to load, you soon see who's are large and which ones are cropped.

Tom, I'd be more than happy to donate to the site. I'm sure the support you will recieve from the group will be overwhelming. We did the same thing for the pinball website.The donations were fantastic. I'm kinda new around here and found this site to be incredably imformative. My buddy and I decided to play with R/C boats just since the 1st of the year.No help from anybody around where we live.We didn't know anyone who played with em either. With the help here,we're running from 21 O/Bs to mod 84 Eagle riggers. Was a real learning experience but a great time. It would be my pleasure to help out. Tell us, when and where. Thanks,Walt

I'd be happy to donate to the sight as well but I think more enforcement of threads is necessary. We have threads that have nothing to do with anything and could have been accomplished via email.

Charley

"Edit -As to not discount the actual constructive posts contained in various threads."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back