K 90 Double Induction Rotor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy,,,that sure would save me alot of machining,that is what I wanted to do to the stock K-90 induction for awhile now. Where can I buy that,Jeff?

Stan

stanosmax said:
Boy,,,that sure would save me alot of machining,that is what I wanted to do to the stock K-90 induction for awhile now. Where can I buy that,Jeff?
Stan

112798[/snapback]

Stan, Al Hobbs had some of the rotors. (406) 468-2706. Jeff

Jeff,

Is it possible to post more pictures & clearer pictures of this assembly? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Jim

The thing that works on these rotors is not the intake from the carb to the crankcase. But the crankcase to the ports on the crankcase compression. When the rotor close for the crankcase compression the other side of the rotor opens up for the fuel to move up the back intake port. This improves the flow greatly. Doc Turner ran two of these last March in Slidell La. They ran very well but failed before the end of the race. The housings failed by beating the thrust area of the housing. So what was happening the rotor was moving away from the crank untill the pin would not drive it. I made some thrust washers out of brass but it drove the housing out further and did not hurt the rings and the end results was the same thing. Doc was running Odonnell fuel and it has a very low oil content and it may not have a very good pressure lube to it.

We when back to our old rotors with no problems and if any one has seen our motors run they know that our RPM's is pretty high with stock parts.

Mark Bullard

Mark Bullard said:
The thing that works on these rotors is not the intake from the carb to the crankcase. But the crankcase to the ports on the crankcase compression. When the rotor close for the crankcase compression the other side of the rotor opens up for the fuel to move up the back intake port. This improves the flow greatly. Doc Turner ran two of these last March in Slidell La. They ran very well but failed before the end of the race. The housings failed by beating the thrust area of the housing. So what was happening the rotor was moving away from the crank untill the pin would not drive it. I made some thrust washers out of brass but it drove the housing out further and did not hurt the rings and the end results was the same thing.  Doc was running Odonnell fuel and it has a very low oil content and it may not have a very good pressure lube to it. We when back to our old rotors with no problems and if any one has seen our motors run they know that our RPM's is pretty high with stock parts.

Mark Bullard

112934[/snapback]

Mark, As you might remember, the first time you saw one of these rotors, I showed you and Doc mine at the Slidell Nov. race. I told you then it would not work in an aluminum housing, you thought you could add some oil pockets to float the rotor valve and everything be all right, I hate to see that didn't work for you.I remember in March talking to you and Doc about the rotor I ran some straightaway passes with in Valdosta. At that time of the race Doc said he had not even looked at his rotor yet, so I wasn't aware Doc went through 2 of them. For heat racing I will run the regular rotor valve also, it makes plenty of power. On the double induction rotor valve, both windows open and close at the SAME TIME.When it opens they both charge the piston just like a standard rotor valve.When the piston goes on its down stroke building crankcase pressure and the ports open they are charged the same way no matter what rotor you have in the motor.I hope your house on Fort Morgan is all right, we did Ok in the storm but have family that got alot of damage.I talked to Virgil Erickson today he is in Texas and is ok, someone checked his house and business and they are still standing. Jeff Lutz

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good news glad to hear Virgil and so many are at least doing okay health wise.

Jeff Lutz said:
Mark Bullard said:
The thing that works on these rotors is not the intake from the carb to the crankcase. But the crankcase to the ports on the crankcase compression. When the rotor close for the crankcase compression the other side of the rotor opens up for the fuel to move up the back intake port. This improves the flow greatly. Doc Turner ran two of these last March in Slidell La. They ran very well but failed before the end of the race. The housings failed by beating the thrust area of the housing. So what was happening the rotor was moving away from the crank untill the pin would not drive it. I made some thrust washers out of brass but it drove the housing out further and did not hurt the rings and the end results was the same thing.  Doc was running Odonnell fuel and it has a very low oil content and it may not have a very good pressure lube to it. We when back to our old rotors with no problems and if any one has seen our motors run they know that our RPM's is pretty high with stock parts.

Mark Bullard

112934[/snapback]

Mark, As you might remember, the first time you saw one of these rotors, I showed you and Doc mine at the Slidell Nov. race. I told you then it would not work in an aluminum housing, you thought you could add some oil pockets to float the rotor valve and everything be all right, I hate to see that didn't work for you.I remember in March talking to you and Doc about the rotor I ran some straightaway passes with in Valdosta. At that time of the race Doc said he had not even looked at his rotor yet, so I wasn't aware Doc went through 2 of them. For heat racing I will run the regular rotor valve also, it makes plenty of power. On the double induction rotor valve, both windows open and close at the SAME TIME.When it opens they both charge the piston just like a standard rotor valve.When the piston goes on its down stroke building crankcase pressure and the ports open they are charged the same way no matter what rotor you have in the motor.I hope your house on Fort Morgan is all right, we did Ok in the storm but have family that got alot of damage.I talked to Virgil Erickson today he is in Texas and is ok, someone checked his house and business and they are still standing. Jeff Lutz

112946[/snapback]

Jeff Lutz said:
Mark Bullard said:

Mark Bullard

112934[/snapback]

112946[/snapback]

Everything is ok at the Beach Club. I think that one of the buildings had some wall damage. We have manage to miss two of these I don't know how but we have. I think that one thing is the fact that there are very new so they have all of the latest building codes for these kind of storms.

And yes the oil pockets worked just fine on these rotors. The thrust areas is what wore. If I had my guess I would say that the fuels oil did not have very good under thrust pressure.

And if you hear from Virgil again have him call me when he can anytime. I need to see what he thinks on the other races.

Mark

Jeff, you could learn a thing or two from Mark. I live in Singapore and have been running the rotor you are talking about here for a long time. You should take another good look at it and try to see what Mark is saying because he is correct, and you are not.

Regards, Luing Lee

Luing, I have raced with Jeff for many years and he is consistantly able to produce power and RPM from the K-90 that is unbelievable. Keep an open mind on this topic.

Eric

Eric, I have seen that yu have won many races, OK. But this Jeff guy is still just wrong about this. I think myu k-90 is more powerful for sure.

Luing

Eric, Mr. Al Hobbs said you nice guy, but I see other things this Jeff guy writes and he not too smart on boats.

Luing

1fastracer said:
Jeff, you could learn a thing or two from Mark.  I live in Singapore and have been running the rotor you are talking about here for a long time.  You should take another good look at it and try to see what Mark is saying because he is correct, and you are not.
Regards, Luing Lee

113151[/snapback]

Luing, Since you have one of these rotors, you know they are hard to explain on the internet.Even though the rotor opens( itself) back up on its downstroke, it does not change the flow much (BECAUSE OF THAT) because fuel is not supposed to be in the rotor at that point, its under the piston. You seem to think the rotor is full of fuel and comes blasting out into the ports,when it does not. If any fuel was in there it could come through it, but hopefully its not.I am glad to hear that you have a good running boat with this engine.Happy boating,Jeff

thanks for trying to help. I wouuld like to talk more about this later. What pipe are you using on the K-90, and prop to go 95MPH?

Cheers,

Luing

I'm not as sharp as some of you guys, but I was the first to run near 100 mph (99.3 mph) with a K-90 in a SG 80 heat race boat. That was back in the Winter of 1996-97.

I later modified a K-90 for Tony Grinter in Australia. He mounted it in an SG 80 and was the first to run over 100 mph in Australia.

I'm not 100% sure that Kalistatov came up with the idea for the double induction drum. Who ever did, was really sharp! I'm fairly sure it was someone in Russia if not Kalistratov. The Russian's come up with some really trick ideas. :)

Andy

I wonder if any of you have seen any of the other russian motors? What did you think of them?

Latest posts

Back