Garmin Geko 101 GPS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernowt

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone is using one of these GPS units in their boats and if you've had any unplanned water-resistance testing. After doing some research, this was the only handheld compact GPS that was advertised as being waterproof in one meter of water for 30 minutes. Of course, I plan on treating it just like a receiver as far as taking precations to avoid exposure to water, but would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience. Thanks in advance.

Product link: http://www.garmin.com/products/geko101/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a few of these units. It is not waterproof at all. Even the water resistance rating is "exaggerated". After loosing one of these units, I now use them inside a plastic baggie...otherwise you will loose your GPS. They fail quickly with even a little water inside.

KB

I personally have the Garmen Etrex.It isnt water proof but is supposed to be water resistant.Ive had it damp and the screen wet but never soaked.I found a small tupperware to put it in and have glad on more than one ocasion of that.Its come out of the hull more than once on roll over or flips and floated till I recovered it.Not much room in a Insane hydro but keep it forward and stuff it in the left sponson.Use a baggie as some extra insurance.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I knew it sounded too good to be true. I was checking out the eTrex as well, but the Gecko is smaller, weighs less, costs less (don't need any advanced features) and well... the Gecko had a better water resistance rating. <_<

im happy with the etrex.. but i will be bagging it up - now.

Thanks guys :D

Jason

i use that same exact unit. i didn't take any chances i bag it up, it did get wet a few times before i used a bag but a few minutes in the sun cured that problem. find a way to secure it in the hull(e.g rubber bands etc etc) you don't want to loose it right?!

I have / had a 101 that is back at Grmin for repair. One of the buttons was not glued all the way and water got in.

Just an FYI, I bought mine off of e-bay. When I contacted the service rep at Garmin for the RMA # he said they do not warranty ANYTHING purchased on e-bay, brand new or not.

Thankfully, he ok'd the repair "this time only"

Mine will be going in a ziplock bag from now on. They do work very well though if kept dry.

I have been using the 101 for more than a season, probably closer to two. I have had water in it twice so now its bagged with a small piece of foam noodle in the bag. I have had it apart & dried it out twice and it came back, it is a bear to get apart with those small tamper proof torx screws.......

They are waterproof to a point but a good 60mph dunk will hydraulic the water right in there!!

I use a skindiving bag with a string & weight on it so it can be retrieved with the electric boat. the bags are available at dive shops, cost about 4 dollars.....

mike

Latest posts

Back