Miss Bud gas Mistake???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITROSNIFER

:angry: To start things off I purchaced a Proboat 1/8th gas Miss Bud. Reason to get my fix of running boats without putting added wear on my nitro engines and boats.

After I got the boat I looked over everything sharpened and balanced the prop and insulated the reciever and batt. pack. Took her out and after learning to launch this boat was quite happy, The boat is no X hydro but still fun to drive.

Now heres where things get stupid.

1) changed to a Irwin 90 quite pipe as the stocker is way to loud.

2) sharpened the rudder (dull as hell)

3) sharped the turn fin. one side only (had both from factory)

4) changed radio to a stick

Went out to play and as soon as you go more than 1/2 throttle the sponsons pick up and start sapping back and forth. I figured the pipe and sharp turn fin and rudder was allowing more top speed. brought her home and adj. strut to gain more down force.

So at the pond again and same crap. tried nuemerous props with no succses.

added 5oz to front of boat and still same thing.

Came home rather frustrated as it worked great before I touched it. :blink:

Put origonal radio/reciever back in and replaced both steering servo's as they felt weak. replaced steering push rod as the factory has a wierd bend at the rudder.

re-sharpened turn fin to both sides as it was factory.

Have not tried it yet but I hope some one here can tell me were I went wrong.

Any help other than the help that requires a nice chair and a psyc. would be greatly appreciated. leaving thurs to BC and would like to take it with me.

My brother in-law has had one for about a month now. So far here's what we have done.

1. Changed the strut angle

2. Added a flap to the front wing (a piece of lexan)

3. Sharpened and balanced prop

4. Added a Tyndall turn fin

5. Installed a marine specialties clutch

All of this has helped but we still have not been able to trim the boat where it should be. For one the CG needs to come forward. That's not an easy thing to do on this boat.

The biggest thing IMO is that the wings are fixed in the WRONG position. Especially the front. It needs to be cut off and remounted with adjustability.

As soon as these thing start going into the wind they sponson walk bad.

We are gettin close though, next step is to ad a 257 carb to see if mabey the increased power will help drive through the walk. The only other easy option, I think, is to add weight to the front.

i recomand that you unly sharpen your turn fin on one side because when you have two exact sides (sharpend both sides) when you come to turn and even on straights the turn fin dosent know what way to go but when you sharpen it on one side it will go and turn right the way you want it. also if you have a curv in you fin it will cause the boat to go from one to an other whicth could cause your problem.

"i recomand that you unly sharpen your turn fin on one side"

That's how I had it and it did not make a difference. I put it back to both sides sharp because before I touched the rudder and fin it ran great. All this happened after I removed and sharpened both rudder and fin.

The boat handles grea tin the cornerns and if you give it right rudder does not walk. only when your going striaght. This is why I replaced the servo's as I thought maybe the rudder was moving and allowing the rear to shake possibly getting to much air under the hull. I am going to add foam to the hull as there is no floatation. and make new mounts to move the engine forward. I'll let you know how things go.

Last edited by a moderator:
NITROSNIFER said:
"i recomand that you unly sharpen your turn fin on one side"That's how I had it and it did not make a difference. I put it back to both sides sharp because before I touched the rudder and fin it ran great. All this happened after I removed and sharpened both rudder and fin.

The boat handles grea tin the cornerns and if you give it right rudder does not walk. only when your going striaght. This is why I replaced the servo's as I thought maybe the rudder was moving and allowing the rear to shake possibly getting to much air under the hull. I am going to add foam to the hull as there is no floatation. and make new mounts to move the engine forward.  I'll let you know how things go.

109715[/snapback]

Take a good look at the turn fin did you put it back on correctly? the turn fin can cause the boat to lift as well as pull make sure the fin is not causing lift. Try taking it off the boat will turn but not very well see what effect that has on lifting the front....Mikey

So I have a welth of info. Hope some of it works. I was able to shift the motor a little more than a 1/4" forward just by moving the front mount behind the pull start using the same mounts and hardware (had to use longer shaft). will try the latest set of changes.

1) new steering servo's

2) turn fin sharpened back to the way it was from factory

3) motor shifted forward.

4) origonal tx/rx.

I'll keep all you Ms Bud owners up to date.

NITROSNIFER said:
So I have a welth of info. Hope some of it works. I was able to shift the motor a little more than a 1/4" forward just by moving the front mount behind the pull start using the same mounts and hardware (had to use longer shaft). will try the latest set of changes. 1) new steering servo's

2) turn fin sharpened back to the way it was from factory

3) motor shifted forward.

4) origonal tx/rx.

I'll keep all you Ms Bud owners up to date.

109800[/snapback]

I think moving the motor forward should help. Please keep us posted. I have 2 friends with these boats.

NITROSNIFER said:
:angry: To start things off I purchaced a Proboat 1/8th gas Miss Bud. Reason to get my fix of running boats without putting added wear on my nitro engines and boats. After I got the boat I looked over everything sharpened and balanced the prop and insulated the reciever and batt. pack. Took her out and after learning to launch this boat was quite happy, The boat is no X hydro but still fun to drive.

Now heres where things get stupid.

1) changed to a Irwin 90 quite pipe as the stocker is way to loud.

2) sharpened the rudder (dull as hell)

3) sharped the turn fin. one side only (had both from factory)

4) changed radio to a stick

Went out to play and as soon as you go more than 1/2 throttle the sponsons pick up and start sapping back and forth. I figured the pipe and sharp turn fin and rudder was allowing more top speed. brought her home and adj. strut to gain more down force.

So at the pond again and same crap. tried nuemerous props with no succses.

added 5oz to front of boat and still same thing.

Came home rather frustrated as it worked great before I touched it.  :blink:

Put origonal radio/reciever back in and replaced both steering servo's as they felt weak. replaced steering push rod as the factory has a wierd bend at the rudder.

re-sharpened turn fin to both sides as it was factory.

Have not tried it yet but I hope some one here can tell me were I went wrong.

Any help other than the help that requires a nice chair and a psyc. would be greatly appreciated. leaving thurs to BC and would like to take it with me.

109665[/snapback]

Kevin, by sharpening the turn fin and rudder you probably found some more speed and loosened the boat up....right?

Sounds like you need to adjust the strut with more lift in the rear or use a prop with more lift. Possibly running a strip of lead stick-on weights as an airdam in the tunnel of the hull may help as well.

I would work with the prop first, as carefull trimming of the ride with the prop is the best way to achieve the desired results. The benefit is it will go faster.

If all this fails, just re-sharpen the turn fin and rudder on the sidewalk and re-install...... :p

an other thing that could cause your problem if you have a front wing on the boat it wouuld not have enough lift whicth couses it to dance (go from one pontoon to the other) or adjust the strut whicth was said already.

1/10 TFH said:
My brother in-law has had one for about a month now.  So far here's what we have done.
1. Changed the strut angle

2. Added a flap to the front wing (a piece of lexan)

3. Sharpened and balanced prop

4. Added a Tyndall turn fin

5. Installed a marine specialties clutch

All of this has helped but we still have not been able to trim the boat where it should be.  For one the CG needs to come forward.  That's not an easy thing to do on this boat.

The biggest thing IMO is that the wings are fixed in the WRONG position.  Especially the front.  It needs to be cut off and remounted with adjustability.

As soon as these thing start going into the wind they sponson walk bad.

We are gettin close though, next step is to ad a 257 carb to see if mabey the increased power will help drive through the walk.  The only other easy option, I think, is to add weight to the front.

109673[/snapback]

As soon as the sponson walking starts.....its about 1-2 more mph from blowing off....

<_< Did any other owners figure out this hul has no floataion. :angry: . Sh.t I flipped it on the dech last time out. I could have sent her to the bottom.

New list of mods.

1) added expandable foam to inside of front sponsons which will

a. add some extra needed wiegh to the front

b. keep this big bi.ch afloat.

RTR my .ss more like Zenoah 26 RTR hull ready to modify. :lol:

Hey all Ms Bud owners, Is anyone building a good header for this boat??? The stocker sucks something awfull. :p

:D Ok all you Bud owners I beleive I have fixxed my BUD. Just got back from BC and the hull worked flawlesly. I also ran in pretty heavy waves without incedent.

Will take pic's and list the adj. to make this hull a runner

Hi Guys!

Just got back from my first few times out with my 1/8 Bud.......

Some things I noticed:

an Intlwaters member had recomended a downforce air deflector on the front wing and I made and installed one before I started. First run, there was a light breeze and some small ripples on the water. like others have said, at 1/2 throttle, the sponsons oscillated violently............ I took the air deflector off and it was much better, but still not good.

The next day, the water was like glass. with no modifications (other than tuning up the prop)and a full tank of gas the thing was rock steady at full throttle (46 mph on radar). After several laps, it would start to "dance " a little if I ran over my own wake.... Filling the tank cured this.

Third tank of gas, the flex shaft snapped right at the top of the stuffing tube.

anyone else had a shaft go out after only 2 1/2 tanks ?

It was suggested to me by a few Big Bud owners that lots ( up to 8oz ) of weight be put inside the left sponson at the rear of the sponson. I didn't get to try this, but that was going to be my next step. as someone else suggested, un-balancing the sponsons could help with the "tap dancing".

If you do a search, you should find a long thread from last fall about 1/8 Bud mods.

Over all, I like mine. I bought a few things planning to do some " bolt on " mods ( 257 carb, new pipe,prop, ect........... I think I'm just gonna leave mine stock.

The only thing I didn't like about mine was a sloppy radio installation and no waterproof switch.

If anyone is interested in a brand new 257 carb, I have one............ $30 shipped

also have a new piston, cylinder and ring(for a 260)..........................$65 shipped

Good luck,

Bob the Fool :blink:

<_< I believe that the motor being shifted forward the 1/4" and the strut angle made all the difference no matter how much fuel I had in the tank. The foam did nothing as I checked before and after and the CG did not change with the front sponsons filled with expandable foam. The servo swap made steering better and more precise. I am sure the pushrod change also helped (larger diameter) I am very happy with the boat. Yes the switch sucks (changed it allready). I will post pics as soon as I can with the strut angles as well. I used 3 different props. Stock 270, X665 cuped, H-48 cuped. all worked very well the x665 bieng the best as is the small diameter but larger pitch.

Thanks all for your help. :D

Foolwitools said:
an Intlwaters member had recomended a downforce air deflector on the front wing and I made and installed one before I started.  First run, there was a light breeze and some small ripples on the water. like others have said, at 1/2 throttle, the sponsons oscillated violently............  I took the air deflector off and it was much better, but still not good.

110574[/snapback]

That was me. Ya wanna hear something funny? I was browsing some photo's taken by a guy from the Unlimited Hydroplane Museum's tour of the Budweiser race shop. They had a 1/8th scale sitting on the workbench with this lexan deflector on the front. I figured if these guys did it it must work. :lol:

We didn't get to take the boats out this weekend so we'll be trying what you and nitrosniffer suggested.

PS: Foolwithtools, I'll take the carb.

Wow, 46mph that's cool!

Last edited:
Hi Guys!

......Forgot something.

If you haven't added autobailers, you should think about it................

be careful making the holes. the glass in this area is tissue paper thin.

Bob the Fool :blink:

Back