Spektrum radio system

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikiWiki1

Supporting Member
I'm in the market for a new radio and am checking out the latest stuff. What is the buzz on the Spektrum radio systems when used in a marine application? I like the telemetry idea but don't see that available anywhere yet.

Thanks, Brent

WikiWiki1 said:
I'm in the market for a new radio and am checking out the latest stuff. What is the buzz on the Spektrum radio systems when used in a marine application? I like the telemetry idea but don't see that available anywhere yet.
                        Thanks, Brent

102989[/snapback]

Hmmmm well it seems to be perfect for cars. So far has not been proven to be 100% for boats and for a race boat you rely on good radio!!!

Some people have had luck with them, some not. Apparently the aerial installation on the RX is critical to their performance. Probably one of the main issues as I see it is the aerial needs pretty much complete line of sight and beyond. By that I mean no metal in close proximity of the aerial above the base of the aerial. And guess what that means? The base of aerial should be above the pipe (assuming you are running an alloy pipe - carbon fibre pipes shouldnt have the same problem by my thinking - but then again this is just my theory).

The thinking behind this is even though the aerial may be completely in sight the reflections of the radio waves from metal behind the aerial (read pipe) may be interfering with the RX signal. Being such a high frequency it is more prone to bounce off objects - especially metal objects.

my 0.22c worth - I aint cheap

Thanks for the info. After reading the new thread on this subject I think I'll stay with proven technology for now. I would hate to find my new boat up on the beach because of radio trouble. If I want it there (or even not) I'm sure I can drive it on the beach myself!

Thanks, Brent

EatMyShortsRacing said:
carbon fibre pipes shouldnt have the same problem by my thinking - but then again this is just my theory).
103233[/snapback]

Careful, carbon fiber can be even more prone to interfering or suppressing radio signals than metal. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned about carbon fiber years ago when I was fishing bass tournaments. I was in the middle of a lake when I heard a weird buzzing sound. I found out quickly that the sound was coming from the rod in my hands! It was picking up the electricity in the air from a storm that was still miles away! The R/C car guys have found out that you don't want battery packs making direct contact with CF either as they can short out.

Don Ferrette said:
EatMyShortsRacing said:
carbon fibre pipes shouldnt have the same problem by my thinking - but then again this is just my theory).
103233[/snapback]

Careful, carbon fiber can be even more prone to interfering or suppressing radio signals than metal. :eek:

103364[/snapback]

Well you learn something new every day.

So my next theory is:

Extend the aerial by a small (say 6") length of very narrow coaxial cable and some sort of connector that fits into the base of the aerial. The aerial would have some sort of mounting system so it could be mounted on the radio box lid or higher to avoid pipe interference.

Additionally you could use some sort of higher gain aerial to effectively boost the signal to the RX unit????

Or just stick with a good NORMAL radio system and let others do th eexperimenting and work the problems out. Spectrum even states they do not offer the system for RC aircraft do to control questions so why would you want to risk your RC boat to a system they do not offer for aircraft? I realize boats and aircraft use different parameters but I would rather go by the extreme than minimum requirements for a radio system. Remember RC cars race on a track that doesn't require any where near the distance that RC boats do.

Bill, while we have you in here, what is the legality of these frequencies from the IMPBA point of view? Seeing how they are not listed as a legal band in the rule book as it being new technology, is the IMPBA (or NAMBA for that matter) going to have any issues with them being used? I could see someone being petty at a race complaining about it not being recognized.

I've been running a spread spectrum radio system since the beginning of the year, first in my gas boats and then in my nitro boats. Last weekend I raced with another boater using the same system. There have been no problems.

Lohring Miller

Ron this was asked prior to the Spring Nats and I had John Equi Our technical Director do the research and he found the systems do have FCC permission so as far as IMPBA is concerned they are legal to use until the FCC decides otherwise. Before I would invest in this system I would really do a lot of research on these systems at the time I do not think they have the range required for model boats in spite of what the manufactures are claiming. ASK questions on system performance of other model boaters who have already purchaced these systems. Now eventually when they get the range increased I think this system may solve a lot of our problems.

Bill Zuber

bzubee said:
Ron this was asked prior to the Spring Nats and I had John Equi Our technical Director do the research and he found the systems do have FCC permission so as far as IMPBA is concerned they are legal to use until the FCC decides otherwise.  Before I would invest in this system I would really do a lot of research on these systems at the time I do not think they have the range required for model boats in spite of what the manufactures are claiming.  ASK questions on system performance of other model boaters who have already purchaced these systems.  Now eventually when they get the range increased I think this system may solve a lot of our problems.
Bill Zuber

106044[/snapback]

Bill are you saying that the FCC has given its blessing for remote control land use? Id like to see that in writing if possible,im sure they allow it for garage door openers but do they know what and how we are using the freqs reserved for door openers.......Mikey

Mikey, Hobby Town USA is selling this system here in Knoxville, TN. The only way they could do this would be if they are in full compliance with FCC regulations. I agree with Bill, I would not venture a high dollar boat to this system, yet. Long term, possibly, I think it will be the way of the future.

Add one more player to the fray--http://www.nimblemotorsports.com still doesn't have the long range version avail. due to be out soon. He says his reciever is epoxy encapsulated and is waterproof. Jeeez look at the size of the reciever! His has a built in transponder for a lap counting system. Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:
EatMyShortsRacing said:
WikiWiki1 said:
                        Thanks, Brent

102989[/snapback]

Hmmmm well it seems to be perfect for cars. So far has not been proven to be 100% for boats and for a race boat you rely on good radio!!!

Some people have had luck with them, some not. Apparently the aerial installation on the RX is critical to their performance. Probably one of the main issues as I see it is the aerial needs pretty much complete line of sight and beyond. By that I mean no metal in close proximity of the aerial above the base of the aerial. And guess what that means? The base of aerial should be above the pipe (assuming you are running an alloy pipe - carbon fibre pipes shouldnt have the same problem by my thinking - but then again this is just my theory).

The thinking behind this is even though the aerial may be completely in sight the reflections of the radio waves from metal behind the aerial (read pipe) may be interfering with the RX signal. Being such a high frequency it is more prone to bounce off objects - especially metal objects.

103233[/snapback]

Craig,

I think you got it nailed here. Both problems I've seen, 2 separate guys

with this system, have had system failsafe on back stretch, or corners, with

antenna not above pipe, and pipe between antenna and transmitter?

mark voorhies said:
EatMyShortsRacing said:
WikiWiki1 said:
                        Thanks, Brent

102989[/snapback]

103233[/snapback]

Craig,

I think you got it nailed here. Both problems I've seen, 2 separate guys

with this system, have had system failsafe on back stretch, or corners, with

antenna not above pipe, and pipe between antenna and transmitter?

106116[/snapback]

Sorta reminds me of a fun experience with one of my first monos. I threw a Picco 80 into a submerged drive boat. I didnt want that ugly aerial showing so I ran a piece of yellow linkage tube along the RH side of the boat (inside). I had a 29Mhz AM set with a pretty long RX wire. This ran pretty much the length of the boat. No problems for 6 months....... until I tried a NAVIGA triangle course.

Basically you start at one oint of the triangle, go round it, loop around the final buoy and go round it in the opposite direction...

Result??? Far side of the course the boat is going right to left around the turn as you complete the 'double back' lap. Boat lost radio and proceeded in a nice wide arc at full throttle until it was cushioned by the stone wall around the lake.

Range tested the radio and it was perfect. but the pipe being between me and the aerial was enough to block a significant amount of signal at that distance... Yes it was only AM radio.... but the principle remains the same and will actually be more critical as the frequency is raised because higher frequency requires more 'line of sight'...... Look at microwave transmitters.... direct beam!!!!

EatMyShortsRacing said:
- carbon fibre pipes shouldnt have the same problem by my thinking - but then again this is just my theory).my 0.22c worth - I aint cheap

103233[/snapback]

Carbon is actually worse, it suppresses radio signals. :)

I have seen a few of these at the local scale unlimited events. The guys using them say they haven't had any trouble. The ones I have watched were installed into M8 radios. I wonder if there is a variation from one radio to the next? What about the Spektrum radio that is made for it, I wonder how it performs? At www.horizonhobby.com they say not yet available but I see them in stock and ready to ship on ebay???

Brent

Back