Waterproofing Rx systems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa1330

I had a hard time getting my radio box to seal up so I decided to look for alternative methods to protect my Rx systems. Afer asking around I found the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor. It's designed for protecting your electronics on your fishing boats against saltwater spray. I thought I'd give it a shot. One day at the pond I lost control of my throttle because the servo got a little water. So in the field I took the servo apart and let it dry out for a 30 min. Then I sprayed a heavy coat of the CRC all over the entire inside and out of the servo. I assembled it and reinstalled it and never had a problem again. Only the 3rd channel got wet and malfunctioned next and then the steering. So when i got home I decide to do a little test. using a few extra servo I had lying around I tested this CRC spray. first I dissassembled the servos and the receiver.

IMG_0031.jpg

Then I sprayed a heavy coat of the CRC CI (Corrosion Inhibitor). I let that dry for about 30 in then added another coat. After 3 generous coats ont he electronic circuit boards and the casings put all the gears back in and added a dielectric grease to the gears and a full coat to the entire Rx.

IMG_0034-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0042-1.jpg

Then I reassembled everything and used some CRC Electronics Cleaner to clean the outside of the cases. I let everything dry for a few hours and took it inside to the kitchen. I filled a bowl with tap water about 2" deep. Then I hooked everything up and made sure it was working properly.The green light on my Rx shows that it's receiving a signal from the Tx.

IMG_0051-1.jpg

Next I dropped the entire Rx system in the bowl and watched for any servo glitching or a loss of signal.

IMG_0054-1.jpg

Everything checked out great. I activated the servos using the transmitter and they worked just as they were sitting on the table. No glitches no interference. I waited for ten minutes watching for any signs of water intrusion all the while manipulating the controls of the Tx. and not a single twitch. I ever checked my F/S by turing the Tx off. The servos moved to the F/S position and then returned to nuetral once I turned the Tx back on. Perfect!!! Since this test I have waterproofed all my electronics and have never had a single problem. Even after a few blow overs where the boat was 3/4 under water for 15 min I had no problem. The great thing is if I ever do have a problem all I have to do is dissassemble everything and use the CRC cleaner to clean the parts the redo the water proofing and I'm as good as new. But I have yet to have a problem with this method. If you still want to have a r-box this is a good way to be 100% sure you'll never loose control. a run away boat can be disasterous and even cause bodily harm. Easy to avoid, takes $10.00 and about an hour.

What class do you race in ??? I'm in florida too. I just want to know, So I can avoid racing against you, with that pending out of control disaster. Dude learn how to seal your box up, it's not that difficult. I have dust in mine its so tight. LOL

John

Last edited by a moderator:
What class do you race in ??? I'm in florida too. I just want to know, So I can avoid racing against you, with that pending out of control disaster. Dude learn how to seal your box up, it's not that difficult. I have dust in mine its so tight. LOL
John
I like my system much better than the box. its much easier to make adjustments. Also on the models that don't have digital servos i have to reset the the F/S everytime I turn on the Rx so it makes it much easier. You don't have to worry about my boats. I'm in control 100%. The problem came from one of my RTR boats that had a faulty r-box. I did this and have never had a single problem again. It works better than you may think. The evidence is right there in the post. fully submerged for ten minutes and not even a twitch. Best part of it is I dont have some big cumbersome box in the middle of my boats. And I can mount the servos wherever I want instead of everything being confined to a box in the front or even worse in the middle conflicting with the drive line.

Just curious if you run NO radio box, what's going to happen when partially spent fuel and raw fuel get in to the servo's and receiver and eats up you CRC corrosion inhibitor ?? Nitromethane and Methyl alcohol are very strong industrial solvent and eat everything up. The only paints that can with stand them is epoxy and urethane. I don't think CRC can withstand the assault. Now you have fuel and oil seeping under the CRC and eat up all the SMD parts other components. This include sensitive RF coils and you have a gooey mess of junk electronics in a short time. That is after you get whats left of your boat from the bank of the lake. If you insist on sealing the electronics up. You better off encapsulating them in epoxy that at least will withstand the fuel and is invisible to the electronics.

I'm going to agree with Hydro. I've seen gas guys do this but even the highest octaine gas can't compair to nitro. Ryon

The stuff sounds alot like Corrosion X. Nothing wrong with coating your radio and servos, but I would still have them in a seal radio box.

I wrecked a very nice scale boat last year becasue of water intrusion in a $2.00 on/off switch that had been coated with a water dispersant, monuted in a sealed radio box. Still failed.

Josh-

Just curious if you run NO radio box, what's going to happen when partially spent fuel and raw fuel get in to the servo's and receiver and eats up you CRC corrosion inhibitor ?? Nitromethane and Methyl alcohol are very strong industrial solvent and eat everything up. The only paints that can with stand them is epoxy and urethane. I don't think CRC can withstand the assault. Now you have fuel and oil seeping under the CRC and eat up all the SMD parts other components. This include sensitive RF coils and you have a gooey mess of junk electronics in a short time. That is after you get whats left of your boat from the bank of the lake. If you insist on sealing the electronics up. You better off encapsulating them in epoxy that at least will withstand the fuel and is invisible to the electronics.

I agree with you there. Fuel will dissolve the CRC spray. Although I have never had a problem with so much un-spent fuel that it seeps into the casing of the servos or the receiver. There's a very simple solution if that becomes a problem. Since under no circumstances would the components ever be fully submerged in fuel, if so then i would worry more about an issue with the un-spent fuel and possible inadvertent fuel ignition, just simply wrap your receiver in a balloon. Most people do that any way. You can also wrap the servos in a balloon. I have not used balloons just becuase I don't have any need to do so. You would be very surprised how well this method works. Like i said before I had the problem with an RTR boat in which some RTR's seem to have leak prone R-boxes. Well since I have been using this method not once have I have a problem or even the slightest twitch with any of my radio systems. Even after full submersion due to violent high-speed blow overs.

I'm going to agree with Hydro. I've seen gas guys do this but even the highest octaine gas can't compair to nitro. Ryon
I agree with you there. Fuel will dissolve the CRC spray. Although I have never had a problem with so much un-spent fuel that it seeps into the casing of the servos or the receiver. There's a very simple solution if that becomes a problem. Since under no circumstances would the components ever be fully submerged in fuel, if so then i would worry more about an issue with the un-spent fuel and possible inadvertent fuel ignition, just simply wrap your receiver in a balloon. Most people do that any way. You can also wrap the servos in a balloon. I have not used balloons just becuase I don't have any need to do so. You would be very surprised how well this method works. Like i said before I had the problem with an RTR boat in which some RTR's seem to have leak prone R-boxes. Well since I have been using this method not once have I have a problem or even the slightest twitch with any of my radio systems. Even after full submersion due to violent high-speed blow overs.

The stuff sounds alot like Corrosion X. Nothing wrong with coating your radio and servos, but I would still have them in a seal radio box.
I wrecked a very nice scale boat last year becasue of water intrusion in a $2.00 on/off switch that had been coated with a water dispersant, monuted in a sealed radio box. Still failed.

Josh-
Yes this is very similar to CorrosionX, only it much more heavy duty as it's made to resist salt spray. A few coats of this stull and it would take some very high doses of any solvent to remove it. I actually had to clean some off of my sink using a liquid electronics cleaner, alcohol based, and it was not easy. I had to use a little elbow grease to fully remove it.

Back