Single Stage Paint Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesBrittain

I have a boat project that I have started to paint. I used PPG Concept (DCC) Basecoat white to paint the hull, and now I would like to put the

vinyl decals over that and then clearcoat over them. My question is; do I need to do anything to prep the white basecoat to accept the

decals and the clearcoat (DCU2021)?

My concern is since the white basecoat has clear in it already and it was sprayed about a week ago and has cured, the clearcoat may not

have a decent surface to adhere to. The Tech sheet says the 2 are compatable. Hopefully I have given enough info. Any help would be

appreciated.

hi james

you should be fine with clearing over a week old base collour as long as its clean genraly its best to clear staightaway

if the white is a solid collour (no metallick flackes in it ) then maybe a fine scotch brite might be ok before clear or a good clean to get rid of all the finger marks

i have done the same with my rigger clear over base with decals under clear

mine was done on the same day check out my album

im no exspert but i hope ive given you some ideas

cheers rick :)

Your base coat has already cured, so you will want to wet sand the base coat with 400/600 paper. Since you didnt shoot a metalic or pearl base coat, you will be ok sanding the base coat before shooting the clear. Richard D

Back