Q SGX Prop Suggestions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybradboating

[SIZE=10pt]I am looking for prop suggestions on my Q SGX running 2Qt 4.0 6 cell batteries. At this point I am using a Turnigy Aquastar 200 amp esc and Neu 1527 motor. In the past I was running two different Swordfish esc, i.e. 200 amp & 220 amp with the Leopard 5692. The Swordfish 200 amp lasted for a few laps and the esc went out for good. Then the Swordfish 220 amp lasted for a few laps around the lake and would stop dead in the water. Once I went to idle it would take off again. After a few runs with batteries the Swordfish 220 amp died for good. On both the Swordfish esc I was running the Leopard 5692 motor with the Octura 1460. I tried the X460 but it would quit sooner.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In summary, I learned yesterday that it will continue to keep running with the Aquastar 200 amp running smaller props, i.e. 1450, 1455, X450, X452, & Prather 240 Bar-Cut. I do not want to chance running anything larger in prop size and burn out another esc. The lifting props make the boat hop and it runs smoother with the X series props and best speed wise was the Prather. I was wondering if cupping any of these smaller props in any of these sizes would help?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks for any suggestions![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

You did not mention the wind of the 1527. It is the 1200kV 1Y or the 1500kv 1.5D? I found the 14 series Octura give me the best compromise between lift and speed. I run a 1462 in my Q hydro for heat racing with a 1500kV motor. I can prop down to a 1455 or 1457 if needed. The X series tend to work well if you are higher on the RPM side. The 16 series Octura's have also run well for me, but do have a lot of load on the motor. Most of the ABC blades are too thin and fold over on my set-up.

When you run 7 laps simulating a race how many mAh are you pulling from the battery?

TG

TG,

As I remember it is the 1500kV 1.5D. Another boater in my club showed me which Neu motor to order. The same person has ran the 1462 with some cupping but he is running the Castle Creation Phoenix Ice 200 esc. It is my understanding that the water cooled version is no longer available. I have already burned up two esc so I do not know how much to push the Turnigy Aquastar 200 amp.

There was another club member at the last race that had the hot lead off a new Aquastar 200 fry off the esc in roughly 1/2 lap. I do not know what size prop he was running but assume it was larger than what I have been test running recently.

Thanks

Brad

I have a friend of mine that did a mod to the heat sink to turn his castle into water cooled. This might be an option. This is how we did it in the old days of electrics anyhow. I remember drilling out the heat sinks and soldering in tubes for water. Also soldering tubes onto the brush hoods to keep them cool. Good times that I dont miss. Nitro all the way.

Are you using the firmware for 4 pole motor as the Aquastar 200A is suitable for 2 pole motors..Gill

Brad,

The 1500kv motor is a good kv for Q hydro. A competitive boat will run right around 200A and with this level of amperage you need to try an keep the boat at full throttle as much as possible as the partial load will eat up ESC's quickly. I have no experience with the Aquastar ESC's, but have run the modified ICE Lite 200 with water cooling. I have only burned them up pushing them hard beyond a normal heat race set-up.

Do you have any data from the Castle ESC's?

For reference, In my Q hydro I run a 1717 Castle motor with the ICE lite 200 and a 1462. This pulls 205A average over the 1:15 race distance. This is very hard on the batteries and motor so no extra laps.

TG

Brad your motor is a 4 pole motor but this esc usually comes from factory set up for 2 pole motors reason many guys burn it.Gill

TG & Gil

To answer some questions, I had help from another boater in my club and he programed the Aquastar 200A to a 4 pole motor. At this point he still has the computer equipment & programing box for the Aquastar 200A so I am not able to measure the amps after a full run. I tried to hammer down on the Aquastar esc hearing that that it is the best way to keep the esc going without failing.

On the ICE 200A it has not been converted yet to water cooling or wired up with the 6.5 bullets. It is an airplane version.

Brad

what size is the sgx this is important info no one else is asking ,it means a lot, the first electric sgx was a 67 nitro boat converted by andy brown for myself and it was very difficult to get the boat fast . the 1.5 d is to hot for a heavy tight running q especially on 2p do you have a 1Y?

Doug

It is a newer design done by Andy about 2 years ago. As I understand the design it is similar to a SG in hull length and SGX sponsons. The 1Y 1250 Kv is what I assume you are suggesting. At $300 plus for the Neu motor I would say no at this point.

Thanks

Brad

Back