Putty knife

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I use the putty knives available at HD or Walmart. They have a thin steel blade and are probably meant for dry wall.

I bought a new one last weekend and got really frustrated while trying to fill a slight depression in the hull. I cannot feather the edges and there were many streaks in the filler. I thought there were lumps in the filler and I mixed another batch with the same results.

Then I looked at the edge of the blade and found the problem. The edge was not straight but had a concave curve. There were also tiny lips on the edge probably as a result of the stamping process. Dressing the edge of the blade on a 400 wet and dry on a flat surface took care of the problem.

If you have similar issue, inspect the edge of the putty knife. You have find the same issue..Just want to share this.

I use the putty knives available at HD or Walmart. They have a thin steel blade and are probably meant for dry wall.

I bought a new one last weekend and got really frustrated while trying to fill a slight depression in the hull. I cannot feather the edges and there were many streaks in the filler. I thought there were lumps in the filler and I mixed another batch with the same results.

Then I looked at the edge of the blade and found the problem. The edge was not straight but had a concave curve. There were also tiny lips on the edge probably as a result of the stamping process. Dressing the edge of the blade on a 400 wet and dry on a flat surface took care of the problem.

If you have similar issue, inspect the edge of the putty knife. You have find the same issue..Just want to share this.
Kez, Skip the putty knives and get a couple bondo spreaders. They are also very good for spreading epoxy on wood hulls and easily cut to any width you desire.

plastic spreaders are a great tool, but sometimes something that doesn't follow contours as well is helpful ;)

Hey Kez, Another tool that I really like is a cake decorating tool. I got the tip from my Father ,Gus, years ago and use them for mixing and applying epoxy, epoxy with micro balloon, and many other purposes. Once the product used has cured, simply scrape the residue off with a #11 Xacto blade. I haven't bought mixing sticks in years. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check your local craft store you will also find tools for painting in oil that will help you get putty in tight spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kez, Skip the putty knives and get a couple bondo spreaders. They are also very good for spreading epoxy on wood hulls and easily cut to any width you desire.
Glenn, I have the Bondo spreaders as well. I use them for the deck or a surface with curves. As Robin has commented, I use the steel putty knife for flat surface....iike truing the running surface.

Hi Bob, I will try the cake decorating tool when I go to Walmart this weekend. I think it is a good idea for a large surface.

Thomas, that is another good idea. They come in different sized and may even work well as a filet forming tool.

Back