Paint spray gun types being used

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Miller

Supporting Member
Hi all,

For those of us that are painting with spray guns, which are you using?

Mini HVLP touch up/detail?

Airbrush? can this be used for a whole 1/8th scale boat? I realize that this type is mostly for detail and artwork, but since our boats are relativley small it seems that it could be used for the entire boat with the proper cup size.

Tip size?

Any reccomendations are really appreciated.

I am trying to decide which gun to buy (maybe both).

Scott

Scott, i have been painting r/c boats for several years with hvlp touch-up spray guns. For our r/c boats i have found that 1-1.2 air cap and needle works ok. Nice advantage using the small size air cap/ needle assy is you can use a small 1 hp compressor. I have sprayed automotive primers, base colors and clear with this set up. House of color, PPG and Omni brands of primer, sealer, base coats and clear are the brands i spray. Now i use a Anest Iwata baby series LPH-80-122G gun with E-2 air cap and 1.2 needle. Coast air brush.com has a great selection of painting supplies. Richard D

I use a Kobalt small Sprayer (Lowes Brand) Gravity feed with the original nozzle. It works just fine, and it's only $37. It cleans up really easy.

Sata Minijet 4 is my gun of choice, the Cadillac of HVLP detail guns in my opinion. A very good friend told me a while back to try one even though I was "convinced" my $90 HVLP detail gun was all I needed. Well let's just say after taking his advice I've never looked back, the precision and control are unmatched and the quality will far outlast the cheaper guns, something that becomes apparent every time you clean the gun after use. I liked it so much that I saved a few coins and bought a second one and fitted it with an oversized cup for shooting just clears. And BTW I still have the $90 gun, it gets used for primers. Bottom line if you can work it into your budget spend the extra for a Sata Minijet. The 1.0 tip size is a good all around size and will work great for colors and clears. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Don. The Sata Minijet is the best and worth the extra cost. I've been using them for the past fifteen years or so with no complaints.

Al Hobbs

Back