Need A Bit Of Help From You 'Spark Gurus'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

Since we now have an abundance of FE knowledgeable folks here, thought I'd pick your brains a little.

This is not a FAST electric, but................. ;D

I set up a 22" shallow V for my daughter with a Mabuchi 540SH direct on 6 cells. It's cute and all, but it has no "umph". She's bored with it and I've been using it as a retrieval boat.

My question is this...I have a (Astro?) 2.5 to 1 gearbox from an electric plane. If I stuffed it in the boat and ran a larger prop, would it help? If so, what would be a good prop to start with?

Pros, cons, opinions?

WeeVee2.jpg

If you're running a 540 on 6 cells direct you should be able to swing an x435. A x432 might be a safer bet.

The 540 is probably the lowest motor on the 6 cell food chain. You may get 10-12 MPH out of it if you're lucky. A ROAR stock motor and x435 should get you closer to 20 MPH. I run over 20 MPH with mine and a Y536.

Save you gear box for something else. Gear drives have many applications in the boating world, but I'm not sure this would be one of them.

In my experiance, gears work well with hot, high rpm motors with tons of power but too many RPMS. The 540 you have isn't going to optomize with a set of gears unless your boat was HUGE and needed a big prop. The boat in the picture looks small and should work fine on 6 cells direct drive.

Good Luck,

Dick

Thanks Dick.

Tower shows a bunch of 'mod motors' in the $20-$30 range. What am I looking for as far as turns/winds, timing, etc?

Hello,

Try something around 17 to 20 turns single or double wound x432 prop. 1/8" to 3/16" advance.

Paul.

Something like this?

kyog2727.jpg

FEATURES: Adjustable timing

Nickel coated can, to help radiate heat more efficiently

1.3mm steel can

Epoxy coated armature

Machine wound armature (not hand wound)

Diamond trued commutator

Vented can for better cooling

4.9 wet magnets

Red molded Kyosho composite endbell

Dual silver shunt motor brush wire

Motor brush wire screwed to endbell (not soldered)

Medium compound 5x5 motor brushes (not standard, not laydown type)

Great for trucks, planes and boats

SPECS: Shaft Diameter: 1/8"

Outside Diameter: 1-13/32"

Length: 2-1/16" (2-21/32" with shaft)

Turns: 17

Wires: 2 (strands)

Timing: adjustable

Bearings: 2

Endbell: Red composite Kyosho

Hello,

That would work. I'm not familiar with the 5x5 brushes, you may want to check if LHS carries them. If not you might want to consider buying something with stand up or laydown brushes like a 19 turn Chameleon for example. If you buy the Kyosho motor try to get hard compound brushes at the same time and heavy springs. You'll probably get a half dozen runs in before it's time to clean up the comm and install new brushes.

Paul.

Propjocky,

I have an abundance of mod. motors for buggys. 12t 13t 14t. If you want one let me know and I will send you one.

-MikeP

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Thanks, Mike! I'd love to take one off your hands! Thing is, I don't know what I need...electrics aren't my forte.

What would you use?

I used a 13t in a wild thing mono, it was about the same size as your boat. It got kinda hot. It might be ok if you water cool it. Maybe someone else could advise on a 13t setup.

-MikeP

PJ

I would not recommend that you try to run a 13 t. motor in that boat direct drive. That is much too hot a wind for sport running and long life even with water cooling.

As others have suggested, I would say to use a 17-20 turn and somewhere around a 432 prop on 6 cells.

PJ

I would not recommend that you try to run a 13 t. motor in that boat direct drive. That is much too hot a wind for sport running and long life even with water cooling.

As others have suggested, I would say to use a 17-20 turn and somewhere around a 432 prop on 6 cells.
PJ,

Well there you go, some good advise from people the know electric boats. The motor I had in mine was good for about 2 good runs before needing a rebuild. That was ok for me because I already had the equipment and parts to do it.

-MikeP

Back