Namba Saw Events

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Britton

I have been to a few Impba SAW events in the recent past and have become familiar with the technical inspection process they use.

Having never attended a Namba SAW event, but would like to, my question is how does Namba 'Tech' the boats at a SAW event?

Do the boats need to be inspected by multiple people? Can they be just anyone there? Or must it be performed only by official(s). Is the inspection process performed before or after the run?

Also, What are the actual steps inspecting these boats?

I have recently become active in the FE side,(especially the limited classes) of our hobby so naturally I am curious about how they are inspected as well.

For instance; The P-Ltd classes are restricted to approved motors only. How are these motors inspected to verify conformity?

Specifically, there are non-conforming motors that are identical in dimension, yet much more powerful than the approved motors. Parts between these non-conforming and approved motors can be interchanged with little or no modification or visible alteration. How is this addressed in the inspection process to ensure it is a truly "legal" motor?

What are the voltage limits (high and/or low) for the FE classes and when and how are they measured and by whom?

Again, just curious having never been to a Namba SAW event.

Finally, Our club, Brandon Model Boaters of Florida is Namba sanctioned, Our course has been certified, and we are interested in holding a SAW event at some time in the future. What are the steps required to obtain the Namba certified timing equipment?

Since there was a recent Namba SAW event held at Legg Lake, perhaps one on the officials from that event can let me know the process so that when I do attend a Namba sanctioned time trial, or, if our club does decide to host one, I/we will be familiar with the process.

I appreciate any input you can provide.

:)

/B

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I still am planning to build a lower cost timing system for my pond using Allen Bradley class 2 laser sensors that are a 1/3 the cost of what the IMPBA normally uses. The timer is cheap to at $100, but it needs some external relays and such added to make it work as a system. The primary use of the system is to allow convenient testing of boats on my pond, but it would be nice if it was certified. It should be just as accurate, but maybe I'm wrong. We will see, and I will share more info when I get farther along.

Latest posts

Back