My observation of electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy2

Ok let me introduce myself iv been on this forum for some time I don’t say much but listen a lot. Iv been building riggers hear in Australia for about 10 years slowly developing my knowledge of how riggers work up till 6 months ago it was based on Nitro or Gas and they have been very successful we wont go into what the riggers have been based on as this is irrelevant to this post.

I have been observing the debate about Lipo’s for some time not only hear but on a number of other forums I have concluded that the future of electrics in general is very bright in deed and will never go back to the old ways.

Any way enough rambling, the reason for this post is to describe my experience with Lipo’s and developing a rigger for electric power. Firstly designing and building a rigger for electric was not as difficult as I first thought as it was originally designed for 18 NiMH cells the rigger is a little larger than a 21 Nitro rigger and a little smaller than a 45 rigger this gave a good balance for handling speed.

The first test with 18 cells proved to be quiet promising with very good cornering and reasonable speed around 90 kph less than the average 21 rigger speed. Then came a suggestion from Andrew why not try it on a 6s Lipo witch is about the same voltage as the 18 cells so I received a pack of Thunder Power Extremes 5ah 22/30 6s 1p to try in the rigger but before I used the pack I did a lot of research on how to handle them I wont go into details on how to use Lipo’s as there is plenty of information out there you just have to look.

Armed with plenty of good information I proceeded to try the pack in the rigger, on the first test with the Lipo pack it was very apparent that the future of electric circuit racing has come of age! The first pass with the rigger it was just touching on 121 kph on the radar and this was with the mildest setting and cornered with very little loss of speed. More testing and tweaking resulted in something unexpected the current rigger proved to not be big enough for the available power and speed of a 6s setup so back to the designing board for something bigger.

A few statistics the rigger is 32” long weighs 2.5 kg has a conservative top speed of 130 kph , has an average current draw of 110 amps and uses 2,6 ah for 6 laps on our long circuit.

So my observation of the above exercise is the future of electric racing is very bright in deed !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Paul,

You found out it was a little too small pretty quick, hey Paul...

HAHAHA

Even my 16 cell tunnel would be too small for 5S speeds...

Kris

Dont forget i want one of the new boats when you are ready Paul

PS forgot to email the details, will do it from work tomorow

seeya

Dave

Hi Paul, (great name) :lol:

For a 32" rigger a 4S system should have been used. With the right combo 70+mph and it should smoke a .21 powered boat. If I was building a 6S rigger it would be in the 40 inch range. ;)

Paul.

Paul your right (it is a great name)

And yes we did conclude that it would make great 4s boat but you did say 40" for 6s this i think would be a little large as that is equivalent to 80 to 90 nitro rigger and would induce more drag than necessary witch will increase amp draw.

We are glad to hear of your experimenting.

I have heard from two members of our gas/nitro club in the past week who would like to try something in the line of FE.

Since one member wants to run mono's ....I suggested a 4S mono setup...the future IS looking brighter all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul your right (it is a great name)And yes we did conclude that it would make great 4s boat but you did say 40" for 6s this i think would be a little large as that is equivalent to 80 to 90 nitro rigger and would induce more drag than necessary witch will increase amp draw.

Now that will depend on the motor and prop too.

A motor the same size you currently have with more winds will be a lower Kv but higher efficiency.

Or you could just go to a larger motor that could handle the draw but you better have a good speed controller.

Hi Paul,

And yes we did conclude that it would make great 4s boat but you did say 40" for 6s this i think would be a little large as that is equivalent to 80 to 90 nitro rigger and would induce more drag than necessary witch will increase amp draw.
Actually from my experiance running a 36" 6S boat I would have liked to have a bit longer boat. In a electric rigger I don't think you'll find that having a few extra inches will be a problem. It is quite possible that a 36" 6S rigger would be fine but for me I would go bigger.

Have fun and welcome to the "dark side". :lol:

Paul.

Back