It's always something. Sometimes, it's bad news. Important Announcement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LawlessMan

Gentlemen (and ladies),

This announcement is for anyone who has purchased a new Lawless Drive that came with flexshafts included or bought just Lawless Flexshafts from me or anyone else in the last 18 months. I have some bad news to share. No, I'm not retiring, and my health is fine, thank you for your concern. The thing is, every flexshaft that has been shipped with a drive or sold separately since about April of 2012 is, how shall I put it delicately? - JUNK!.

Here's how this happened: I needed more flexshafts, and the previous manufacturer priced them out of sight. So, I searched and sourced, got samples and tested, and when I found a supplier I could work with, I ordered them. A LOT of them. I started using them in my boats, in the drive packages, and selling some of them separately. I was somewhat surprised at first when I got a few reports of breakage after a few laps or a run or two, but I naively thought, "Who doesn't break a flexshaft now and then?" After a month or so, the reports stopped coming in. When I added a 3-piece mount to the drive package and had to raise the price a little, I started putting a few spare flexshafts in the package for free to sweeten the deal. It seemed that things were going nicely, until a few days ago. I received an e-mail alerting me to a problem a customer had with some flexshafts, that lead me to discover that every stinkin' one of the flexshafts that I bought was wound the wrong way. So, instead of winding tighter and maybe getting a little shorter, they were getting bigger and maybe longer. This causes all sorts of problems, like binding, loss of power, breakage, etc. I am very dismayed. How did I not see this?

In case you're new to boating and wonder how to tell "correct" from "wrong", try this. Take a flexshaft and hold it up vertically. Look carefully at the outer wire wrap. If the wire spirals down from right to left (or clockwise if you are looking at the end of the shaft) it is WRONG. If it spirals down from left to right (counterclockwise) it is CORRECT.

I have contacted the manufacturer and I am waiting to see how they respond. The flexshafts were specified correctly, and they made them wrong. Still, it has been 18 months, hasn't it?

If you bought a drive that came with flexshafts, or if you bought flexshafts separately, you should throw them away (or you can continue to use them if you want to). E-mail me and I will refund the cost of any you bought separately or the one included flexshaft from the drive (but not the three freebies) at the price I normally sell them for. I will try to contact everyone who has purchased a drive or flexshafts over the next couple weeks, but, if you don't hear from me, please let me know. Also, I will be getting more flexshafts as soon as I am able, made right and carefully inspected and tested. If you simply want to wait until they are back in stock, tell me and I will send you a coupon for a free flexshaft for every one you bought, and mail them to you free. I'll keep a record of every coupon sent, so you won't have to worry about writing or calling to get them once I have the new ones in stock.

I apologize to anyone who has lost a heat or just had a bad day at the pond because of a broken flexshaft. It has always been my serious intent to provide the best product and best price I could to people I know and race with, as well as all the other boaters who have been my customers for the last 15 years. I hope that you will not lose faith in the quality of Lawless Drives and will understand.

Meanwhile, does anybody have any idea what I can do with a whole bunch of "left-handed" flexshafts? :unsure:

VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST TO RECEIVE REPLACEMENT FLEXSHAFTS. PLEASE E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY AT [email protected] PLEASE USE THE WORD "FLEXSHAFT" IN THE SUBJECT LINE. THANK YOU.

Regards and apologies to all,

A Very Red-Faced LawlessMan

One important note-

ALL of the defective nitro shafts were black in color.

If you purchased a nitro Lawless flex shaft from Lawless or Zippkits and it was not black, you have a good shaft.

All of the gas flex shafts were black, so you will have to go by the cable strand direction to see if yours is good or bad.

Joe

Fred,

Sorry to hear about the problem.

A few of the FE Guys have twin outboards, so you might get lucky and sell a few!!!

Let me know if i can help with anything!

Cheers
Kris

I wonder what was going on I just shatterd {broke} a shaft sunday trashed the tube took it home and got it out > in 2 pices , it was 1 1/2 times the diameter it was when I put it in, I put in a new tube and flex shaft back in ..........

I will be takeing the new shaft back out now I know it is fresh out of the package lawless cable Black...

Let me know when the new ones a are avable please ...

THANK you

Rick R

Fred.. sorry to hear this.. its a thing that can be hard to keep up on.

Hold out your LEFT arm stright in front of you.. LAY your right arm over your left elbow.. the cable should look like your arm positions.. this is LEFT LAY!

I know that sounds like a 10cent check but it works very well for most to understand.

Grim

Joe, Thanks for the note about the color of the flexshafts, I forgot to mention that. I did have some gold ones that I sold after I started selling the black ones. Also thanks to Mike for a simple way to identify the "lay" of the flexshaft. A lot easier than what I described. To other folks, keep the faith, we'll get this straightened out.

Fred

No mention of them being about .010 or so to big on the square? Saw they were wound the wrong way, but they wouldn't fit the square in the engine or propshaft anyway.

No mention of them being about .010 or so to big on the square? Saw they were wound the wrong way, but they wouldn't fit the square in the engine or propshaft anyway.
This is a bit of news to me Mike. I had not heard this from anyone else. Oddly the flexshafts that I have sold the most of were the 1/4" shafts for the gas outboard, and, nobody reported any problems. Are all the ones you have too big? Be assured that I will address this with the manufacturer as well. I really don't want to have any more problems with flexshafts, but I would like to continue supplying them. Obviously, I have to exercise better quality control.

Fred

UPDATE, but not so good news.

Well, the year has renewed and I thought many of you were wondering what is going on with the great flexshaft snafu.

I know this is going to sound far-fetched and like I am trying to give you all a runaround, but I assure you this is the true situation. After finding out that all 1000 of the shafts I had purchased from a new supplier were wound backwards, I contacted the manufacturer and found that their 1-year defect-free warranty had expired. They offered me a discount on a replacement order, so I ordered a total of 500 replacement shafts (that is, 100 each of 5 different sizes.) When they came in, they were definitely wound the correct way, BUT, the manufacturer had ignored the specification for the length of the squaring at the ends. They were squared, but, boy did they ever overdo it. Some of the flexshafts were squared 2 to 3 times the specified length. For instance, the flexshafts I got for Thunder Tiger drives, which are only a little over 3" in length, were squared as much as 2/3 of their length. Some of the OS-size flexshafts were squared for over an inch, and as much as an inch and a half. Not one piece in the order of 500 was useable due to the extra long squaring. I am once again trying to deal with the manufacturer over more replacements and will keep after this until it is resolved. In the meantime, I have been informed that Hyperformance Products ([email protected]) has all sizes of outboard flexshafts for sale on their website. I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience to all of the Lawless customers who purchased flexshafts from me or got them with a drive. It has turned into a real nightmare for me as well. Also, I am asking anyone who bought a drive or flexshafts and has not been contacted by me individually to please send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Please use the word "flexshaft" in the title. Tell me how many you got and what size and (as soon as I have more) I will replace them. Even the "free" ones.

Back