I'm taking my rigger overseas. Any advice?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

In a couple of weeks, I will be going to Japan to race.

I checked with the airlines. They said the only info they could give me, was that the total dimensions for checked belongings could not exceed 62" and 50 pounds.

I built a plywood case with TSA locks for my Hammerhead 21. Loaded with the rigger and necessary tools, It is well within the parameters.

What I'm worried about is residue from solvents, and fuel. Also batteries, glow plug boosters, and so on.

In 2001, I made the trip in the opposite direction to run boats with the District 8 boaters. I didn't have any problems then.

I know the Aussies on this forum have plenty of experience travelling with their boats.

Anything that I need to be aware of or any advice in general will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I hand carry my VS1 to Hobart, I remove the fuel tank, rx battery, and pack my tools in my check in luggage. BTW, I've also had my luggage inspected.

JD

Hey JD, Did they find the secrets to your boat's tremendous speed when they checked your luggage?

Well the dogs will pick it out. Nitro is a bomb to them.

When the guys came from PR thy had the dogs on there luggage and took a few hours to clear.

David

Hey JD, Did they find the secrets to your boat's tremendous speed when they checked your luggage?
They did leave a nice note telling me they checked my luggage.

One time I forgot to put my glow plug lighter in my luggage and tried walking through security. I placed it in the tray, but it does look like a small stick of dynamite. Luckily, one of the supervisors flew nitro planes and I didn't have to toss it away.

JD

I had all sorts of hassles at a domestic terminal here once on a return flight because when I was asked about what was in the box I said it was a power boat. Told them the tank had been flushed out with water, less flammable than poeples checked in toiletries etc. and that I had zero issues on the flight there - they didn't care. It could not go on the plane. I had to remove the fuel tank for it to be accepted. Thankfully a good friend picked the tank up from the airport and sent it to me via mail.

So my suggestion would be - ship the tank separately if it's a custom one, or just pick up a new one when you get there if it's an off the shelf tank.

I've taken my boats to Europe and Australia several times. I use a plastic golf bag case. They are available at most sporting good stores. For some reason the baggage handlers are more apt to be gentle with golf clubs than with other types of cases.

I flush the fuel tank out with methanol and then set the fuel tank out in the hot sun to completely dry out. The boat must be clean and dry.

I wrap the sponsons and hull seperatley in bubble wrap or foam sheets. Everything goes into the plastic case. If there is any room for bouncing around, fill the space with more bubble wrap, foam or extra clothes. Do not take any oil or other liquids. You can get that at your destination. Unplug the batteries so that nothing turns on.

Your case will be dropped at some time.

When you get to the airport, ask the baggage people for a TSA inspector. Show the inspector what is inside the case and tell him what it is. They may tag it as inspected and let you lock it up. If you lock it up without their approval, somebody will open the whole thing up again and not repack it properly.

Coming back home, ask for an inspection. The airport may just X-ray the case and let it go locked up.

Travelling this way, everything I've taken has arrived with little or no damage. That was for flights in and out of a US hub and in and out of the European hub.

Everything was held up one time because I had a small jar of cable grease in the case.

Al Hobbs

Hammerhead, DO WHAT AL HOBBS has done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have traveled both dirrections at one time or another (military) and I have done the same ting as Al has (both prior to and after 9-11)

and have not had any problems.

also, try to fiind someone that works the baggadge checkin area that runs/knows about modeling and that is always a plus.

MAKE SURE THE BOAT IS CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Something no one has mentioned is check to see what frequency bands are used for surface R/C where you are going. If you have a modular radio, try to get a module and RX for your boat on the appropriate band so you don't interfere/get interfered with by local RF signals

Something no one has mentioned is check to see what frequency bands are used for surface R/C where you are going. If you have a modular radio, try to get a module and RX for your boat on the appropriate band so you don't interfere/get interfered with by local RF signals
Mark,

2.4GHz is universal now.

Thanks, for all the input guys.

I will replace all my fuel tubing and clean my tank, engine and boat until they are spotless.

It may be universal but it's not all inclusive. I still run on 75MHz, some in Europe still use 35 and 40MHz. Since I don't know what radio or frequency you run or what is legal in Japan, I just figured a word of caution and some pretrip checking on the laws was in order. This is a case of better knowledgable and safe when heading out than sorry after you arrive

It may be universal but it's not all inclusive. I still run on 75MHz, some in Europe still use 35 and 40MHz. Since I don't know what radio or frequency you run or what is legal in Japan, I just figured a word of caution and some pretrip checking on the laws was in order. This is a case of better knowledgable and safe when heading out than sorry after you arrive
Sorry! I didn't intend to sound snooty.

I was an active member in the JMPBA for 16 years. I knew the rules about frequencies for Japan prior to starting this thread.

When I was living and racing in Japan, I was in contact with JD through IW. He invited me to run with the D8 guys at Lake Waughop.

When I brought my boat from Japan to here I had a 3PK FM set up for 40Mhz. JD let me borrow a module that was legal here.

Actually if there are still members there that use FM frequencies, They would be in the 40Mhz band for surface models and 72 Mhz for aircraft. If there are still AM users (God Bless their Souls),l They would be using 27Mhz.

Anyway! Thanks for the advice! I think I'm good to go now.

No worries, I never took your post that way. Since many read these threads, I tried to word my post so others will understand there are other things that need to be looked into before travelling. Years ago, R/C Unlimiteds had a race in Canada. After the race was over, many had trouble bringing their boats and associated equipment back into Washington due to import/export laws and other legal requirements that were unknown prior to the race. To me, this was another situation that similar problems could show up and those not looking into the rules, both in the States and abroad, could run into trouble

One time, coming back into the USA, I was asked by customs to prove that the boats were mine and that they were not just purchased overseas. I thought about it, then remembered that the boats all had my NAMBA number on them. I showed the customs agent the number on the boat and my NAMBA membership card. That took care of the problem.

You never know what you will run into.

Al Hobbs

Al has great advice that reflects what I have done over the years. My golf bag boat case and its contents even survived a bad car wreck. The basic problems I have is that inspectors aren't familiar with what model boats are. Sometimes that's good. When I was traveling with a prop box in my carry on baggage, the explanation, "model boat propellers", was all that was needed for the strange objects on the x-ray. An inspection of how sharp they were wouldn't have been good.

Another time in New Zealand I was asked to open my golf bag so the engine in my rigger could be inspected. A friendly conversation with the inspector about how it was like a model airplane engine and was going to a world championship was all that was needed. I sent all batteries and gasoline engines by mail. Anything that ever contained gasoline was thrown out. You can buy gasoline, oil, fuel, and disposable supplies where you are going.

On my last overseas trip, only the US airlines were concerned about the oversize luggage charge. Be sure it's under the weight limit, though.

Good Luck

Lohring Miller

Thanks for all the advice. I'm in the land of the rising sun right now. I didn't have any problems at all.

Latest posts

Back