FE questions; water intrusion, props, ma temps, etc.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm relatively new to running FE boats. I'll be running an outboard brushless motor, the UL-1 Superior motor. Someone with eperience please advise me on a few questions:

1. The boat is going to flip eventually, and will get some water on/in it during heat racing. Regarding the motor, what are the requirements / best practices to

a) mitigate damage prior to launch? Can you spray the motor with Corrsion X and if so does that help?

B) do you need to dry out the motor with forced air between heats? Hot or cold air?

c) If the motor gets submerge, what is the required proceedure?

Other questions:

d) What temp should the motor never eceed? Where is the best spot to measure it? What temp gun do you recommend?

e) What temp should the batteries never eceed?

f) Is a single water pickup adequate for both the motor and ESC cooling? If so should the water flow through the motor first or the ESC first?

g) Since the hull is theoretically air tight, does it do any good to use cooling fans on ESCs?

h) Since I think this FE setup will turn 10K more rpms than a comparable nitro 21, do you have to drop prop diameter and pitch or just diameter, as compared to a hp nitro 21?

Finally) Will God punish me for messing with FE, by sabotaging my Nitro boats??

Thanks, JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Spray the inside of your motor with any water displacing fluid before a day of running. At the end of the day dry it out good and spray it again. If you submerge your motor just shake it out. Brushless motors aren't harmed by water but you don't want to leave them wet for long periods of time.

Many are using the $30 Duratrax temp gages, they seem to work just fine. I like to take the temp reading on the armature, it's closed to the magnets which are what gets damaged during over heating. Motor temps shouldn't exceed 150 F, a good setup should stay under 120 F. The same goes for the speed control, measure temps on the power fets if possible. Battery temps need to stay under 130 F, a good setup will stay under 115 F.

A single water pick up is enough. run the water through the esc first. A fan on the esc alone realy isn't reliable and with water cooling it won't be needed.

If you are running a 4s lipo pack you should be able to start with a 438 or 440 prop, run for 30 seconds check your temps, another 30 check your temps etc etc. Work your way up from there.

Finally) Will God punish me for messing with FE, by sabotaging my Nitro boats??
It's been known to happen. Don't do your testing on a cloudy day. :lol:

Back