Cleaning Nitro Cases

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

I have seen the question ask many times... How Do I Clean My Old Nitro Engine Case? I have seen every answer from Antifreeze boiling in a pot? Using your wife Automatic dish washer while she is gone to Walmart??.... to Soak it in Medium Taco Sauce for 12 hrs??? Well I have found the Answer.... Nu Brite Air Conditioner Condenser Coil Cleaner. Most HVAC parts house sell it $10-12 per gallon & will clean a trk load of cases with 1 gallon. I cleaned a 15-16 year ole seasoned picco 67 case today in minutes. Got the case as hot as possible with tap water. sprayed the case with a squirt botle till it started foaming. rinsed off with hot water in sink & repeat 2 times & PRESTO.... Like New. It boiled out a ex port hole that has a lot of castor oil burn into the case. I never put a brush on it & it appears new. 5 minute later i had a perfectly clean case inside & out......... Works very well on pipes & headers too if you are about to weld on them & need to clean that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe that product is also known as Shiney Brite.

use caution with it. It does sting when you get it on your skin as it has some caustic agents

Wear gloves and open a windows at minimum

Greg
This is true, & you will be surprised how fast it cleanes a Nitro engine case or a pipe that may need welded

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the question ask many times... How Do I Clean My Old Nitro Engine Case? I have seen every answer from Antifreeze boiling in a pot? Using your wife Automatic dish washer while she is gone to Walmart??.... to Soak it in Medium Taco Sauce for 12 hrs??? Well I have found the Answer.... Nu Brite Air Conditioner Condenser Coil Cleaner. Most HVAC parts house sell it $10-12 per gallon & will clean a trk load of cases with 1 gallon. I cleaned a 15-16 year ole seasoned picco 67 case today in minutes. Got it as hot as possible with tap water. sprayed the case with a squirt botle till it started foaming. rinsed off with hot water in sink & repeat 2 times & PRESTO.... Like New. It boiled out a ex port hole that has a lot of castor oil burn into the case. I never put a brush on it & it appears new. 5 minute later i had a perfectly clean case inside & out......... Works very well on pipes & headers too if you are about to weld on them & need to clean that area.
Nu Calgon part number for "Nu-Brite" is 4291-08 (gallon)

Based on the MSDS this cleaner is 10-30% Sodium hydroxide so it will hurt aluminum if left on there a long time. The cleaner COULD pit the aluminum, but I’m sure it would take some time to do so. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection with this stuff also. I do not know how bad/fast the damage to the aluminum could be, I would suggest short “dips” into the solution and the rinsing it well and the inspecting the aluminum for any damage. May be hard to find as this is not really a off the shelf product sold at Home Depot.

Paul

Good advise, I knew a short time limit would keep the damage in check, the only problem was how long to work but not too long to damage things. I guess you can always repeat the cleaning if after the first time you have more gunk left. Good point Pulsetech!

Paul

Latest posts

Back