Castle Hydra HV (not ICE hydra) Controllers beware

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
I will be contacting Castle to when I have time to let them know its time for the Hydra HV series to be discontinued. While attempting to make the final connection with a one day old Hydra 180HV on 10s, the terminals arc welded in my hands, burning the skin and finger nails on my finger and thumb of my left hand, leaving them in a black carbon dust. Most everyone at the SAW event heard the bang it made, and came over. I thought I was done for at first. Checked myself over, and immediately checked to see what had happened. Positive wire to positive, negative to negative, jumper between the two packs to make a series setup, all the connector was gone into fire and dust. Quickly pulled the packs out for fear of meltdown. Doug Smock and Chris Harris come running over, we start looking over things. No popped caps-check, No reverse polarity-check, battery's voltage all checks out correct, and then Doug checked the setup using another technique on 2s to see if the controller was the issue. Sure enough, the 2s pack and controller made another welding scene on a smaller scale and in a more controlled way. We pulled the controller, and there it was, a hot spot on the control board. We confirmed this was a controller issue that created a dead loop inside itself.

I am very lucky, and honestly, Castle should feel lucky too that nothing worse happened. I hate to say it, but the HV hydra line as a joke, it has been, and apparently always will be. They have replaced it with the HV Ice series, so its time for these death traps to go. I am very disappointed and quite honestly contemplated walking away from FE yesterday because of this. After regaining my thoughts, talking to people like Doug Smock, we just decided we need to be safer. Fire retardant gloves and eye protection will need to be the norm from now one.

If this was a one time indecent, I would not point fingers, but I think Castle knows these are not good designs, and until yesterday I figured hey, if you get a bad one, they just go bad upon plug in, never in a million years would I guess a controller could dead short creating a very dangerous condition for the user.

Guys be careful out there, no matter what the brand. Never did I think a controller even had the ability to create a dead loop. Well, they do, so please take caution.

Mike

Wow this is scary! I know even when I solder plugs to my LiPO's I'm SUPER careful and never allow the battery ends to get near each other as I think the electrons can jump a gap even! I also hate that surge/spark you get when you hook up the battery to the Esc. Now this adds to the concerns, not sure there is even a way to check the controller before you connect the LiPO to it. Is it possible to check the ESC with a ohm meter for a short before the battery is hooked up? I do know know on that one.

Sounds like things COULD have been worse, but this is bad enough!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
tekin was having a simular problem with there rx8 1/8th system. when u would land off a jump to hard it would split the board in half and burn up everything. lucky tekin has fixed theres. anything electric there should be extra caution taken especially when hooking up and disconnecting batterys.

most electric offroad guys stay away from castle.

Last edited by a moderator:
most electric offroad guys stay away from castle.
Most serious electric flyers run to Castle - so what? The OP's experience is not at all normal, even for the troubled HV controllers. I'm glad he wasn't hurt, and his post does help to raise awareness of the dangers of high voltage FE. But I have watched three different racers direct short 10S packs and burn themselves. It isn't the ESC's problem, it is the racer who has to take responsibility for his own safety. I've run Castles for almost a decade (and no I am not sponsored) and have had good luck with them. I have burned up a few, but those were either in a SAW boat or had seen use in a SAW boat. IME, most problems are owner caused. Smoked on plug in? Yep, watched one guy who had reversed polarity on his try to correctly plug in the next day. POOF. Damage is cummulative on ESCs and a screwup you made last month could come back to haunt you today.

Bottom line, high voltage setups are powerful and dangerous. Treat them with respect no matter what controller you use.

Wow this is scary! I know even when I solder plugs to my LiPO's I'm SUPER careful and never allow the battery ends to get near each other as I think the electrons can jump a gap even! I also hate that surge/spark you get when you hook up the battery to the Esc. Now this adds to the concerns, not sure there is even a way to check the controller before you connect the LiPO to it. Is it possible to check the ESC with a ohm meter for a short before the battery is hooked up? I do know know on that one.

Sounds like things COULD have been worse, but this is bad enough!

Paul
Paul I did check the control with a VOM for a short. I could see the capacitors and that was all. When we hooked up the 2s pack as Mike discribed is when we saw the issue on the board.

Be safe guys!!

Doug

Doug, I kind of figured the ohm meter would be "to easy" of test but I guess it was worth asking. I'm sure there is some test path that we can come up with that would not fry fingers or ESC's either! More to think about!

Paul

Doug, I kind of figured the ohm meter would be "to easy" of test but I guess it was worth asking. I'm sure there is some test path that we can come up with that would not fry fingers or ESC's either! More to think about!

Paul
Yes sir,I agree.

Doug

Back