3 Blade Vs. 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on how the boat is set up.Some boats go through the turns better with a three blade,

3 blade tends to have more lift, than a 2 blabe (of same style of prop) X450/3 will have more lift that a X450/2

3 blades on a MONO "tend" to be more stable down the straight a-way's

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how the boat is set up.Some boats go through the turns better with a three blade,
Larry with the m440 on my ss21 seemed to dig hard in the corner and with the 3 blade she seemed to have more lift and then grabed when she got straight again.... Sound right??

3 blade tends to have more lift, than a 2 blabe (of same style of prop) X450/3 will have more lift that a X450/2

3 blades on a MONO "tend" to be more stable down the straight a-way's
I for sure notice the lift between the two especially how hard the M440 2 blade grabs down the straight.. Now just to fine tune my 1440!!!!

Larry with the m440 on my ss21 seemed to dig hard in the corner and with the 3 blade she seemed to have more lift and then grabed when she got straight again.... Sound right??
Kevin I never ran a three blade prop on my 21 Super Sport, and I have never run a 2 blade prop on either of my 21 Speedmaster monos so for those hulls I don't know how it would effect the performance. When I had my Woodstuff 28" sport tunnel it drifted less in the turns and I was able to stay closer to the buoys with an x437/3 prop on it than with any two blade I ever tried on it .

Kevin I never ran a three blade prop on my 21 Super Sport, and I have never run a 2 blade prop on either of my 21 Speedmaster monos so for those hulls I don't know how it would effect the performance. When I had my Woodstuff 28" sport tunnel it drifted less in the turns and I was able to stay closer to the buoys with an x437/3 prop on it than with any two blade I ever tried on it .
Not sure how to explain it the best but here is a bit more info on my notes from the other nights runs.... 3 blade.... It seems as if the hull is freed up in the corner and you loose a bit of speed. But easy turning... When you come out of the corner the hull sits back down and digs in...

Now with the two blade she just stayed dug in and pushed hard in the corners!!! Makes racing the edge of my test pond VERRRRY EXCITING if you get in near the edge too much!!!!! Seemed a bit quicker

Kevin,

The cup and blade area ratio on the 1440 are pretty critical.

If you want to try a great three blade I would suggest a ABC

40 x 52/3, they are around 38mm and they run VERY WELL on Sport 21's,

and 21 Monos.

The trick to the three blade set up is to get the propeller to run out

about 2/3rds of the way down the straight chute and then you are ready

to set up for the turn. The three blade will accelerate very well, but

it will not usually be as fast as a two blade. I would take a stop watch

to the pond and test both 2 & 3 blades and see which one has the better

lap times.

Just A Few Thoughts Kevin,

Mark Sholund

Kevin,

Run out down the straight is the maximum speed that it tops out at. :D

I guess I should stop using old terminology. :D

How much cup do you have on the 1440? Diameter is how big? And has it been

backcut yet? I can help you out if you need it?

Let Me Know,

Mark Sholund

Mark my 1440 is right out of the bag..... I thought that is what you meant on the run out, just wasn't sure with all the fancy terminology used on props :lol:

Kevin,

You need a little backcut in the trailing edge of the 1440 and

then it needs a little pitch added to the center of the blade.

If you would like I can transform it for you?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Back