1/16 Scale Hydro - round nose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that one of the motors that was recommended was an Ammo inrunner motor and the other was an Scorpion outrunner motor. I understand the difference between an inrunner and a outrunner motor except for the cross reference for each other. For example a 28mm diameter inrunner withe 3300 kv would be similiar to what with what outrunner motor? Is there a guidline for these two different styles of motors (inrunner vs outrunner)?

Thanks

Jeff

I think the main difference between the in and out runner is that the outrunner can produce more torque so you can still get good speeds while running very cool and can handle a larger prop to boot. I think Hydro's seen to like the torque. Maybe Brian will add another two cents in here. He has more knowledge in his little pinky than I do in my huge melon of a head.

Jim

I noticed that one of the motors that was recommended was an Ammo inrunner motor and the other was an Scorpion outrunner motor. I understand the difference between an inrunner and a outrunner motor except for the cross reference for each other. For example a 28mm diameter inrunner withe 3300 kv would be similiar to what with what outrunner motor? Is there a guidline for these two different styles of motors (inrunner vs outrunner)?

Thanks

Jeff

o.k. so there is more torque with an outrunner. I didn't know that. Is there a conversion chart or something like that for example if I had a 28mm 3300kv motor in my boat and I wanted to try an outrunner motor, which diameter outrunner motor would I want to use? I hope I am asking this question correctly. Also I am assuming nothing changes between an outrunner and an inrunner as far as "kv" is concerned?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

There is no easy conversion chart. The best way to compare them is on wattage rating. Figure the kV you want to run and then start looking at the motor options in that kV range. Then narrow it down by wattage requirements.

Jeff,

There is no easy conversion chart. The best way to compare them is on wattage rating. Figure the kV you want to run and then start looking at the motor options in that kV range. Then narrow it down by wattage requirements.
when you say narrow it down by wattage requirements can you please give me an example of some sort or explain what these requirements are? I do appreciate the help, I am learning alot.

Jeff,

Most of the motor manufacturers will rate their motors for continuous wattage output. Watts = Volts x Amps

So if you know of a motor that works in a given application you can use those specs as a baseline to look at other motor options.

Example: Say a guy has an Aquacraft UL-1 and wants to replace the motor with something similar (it's just an example). The aquacraft UL-1 motor is good for ~800 watts and has a kV of 2030. So if you want a roughly equivalent motor start with the kV, I like to look at a 5% range (up or down 5%) so say 1900-2100kv. Now we can go look at motors from other manufacturers and find one that fits those specs.

thanks for the info. That makes alot more sense now. I always wondered reading these threads how you guys were comming up with these different motor recommendations. I also know you guys making these recommendations have alot of time and expense on the water. Thanks for openly sharing what you have learned with us new guys. Thanks again.

Jeff

I ordered one of the Scorpion HK-2216-12's last night. I don't plan on water cooling. In Seattle there is a 1/10th scale club that is using a bigger scorpion outrunner and they love them and I don't think anyone is water cooling them. There is a motor mount that has water cooling built into the front plate. You can find them on Offshore Electrics site and I have seen them on ebay also.

Jim

Would it make sense to water cool the Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner brushless motor?

Does anyone sell a water jacket that would fit this motor? Or would I need to make my own?
Wow! I can't believe that it has been 5 years since I started this thread! [When you get old, time flies so much faster...]

I finally purchased a 1/16 Scale round nose kit from Classic Hydros. So, has anyone tried out the Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner brushless motor in a 1/16 scale roundnose? How'd it work out? Any additional suggestions for possible motors, speed controls and 2S batteries for this boat?

I'm looking at a 6 month building season ahead, so maybe I will get something done this winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I can't believe that it has been 5 years since I started this thread! [When you get old, time flies so much faster...]

I finally purchased a 1/16 Scale round nose kit from Classic Hydros. So, has anyone tried out the Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner brushless motor in a 1/16 scale roundnose? How'd it work out? Any additional suggestions for possible motors, speed controls and 2S batteries for this boat?

I'm looking at a 6 month building season ahead, so maybe I will get something done this winter.

---------------------------------------------------

Or, would a 3S 3300 mah pack really give this boat some oomph?

Back