World's Fastest Rigger????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hallam

Working on a 20 foot rigger, 3 feet wide. Sponsons will be 8 feet long. Twin counter rotating drive shafts. Engine will have about 6500 hp. Runs in top fuel.

This will be the first ever attempt with this design. Boat will weigh 800 pounds less than conventional 1/4 mile drag boat.

There has been a drag boat before with outrigged sponsons but it was not a true outrigger design as we know it. It still had a conventional deck and afterplane. Are you doing this or did you find this on a site? Post more pics when you can, it should be interesting.

OH My Mikes @ it again..... Mike did you get the Wifes approval to Drive that thang? Or you going to install servos?? What is it using for engines? 2 - 2.3 liter mercury power heads would Light it UP..... :D Keep us informed I would like to see if after the sponsons are on it. And the engines are in it.... I dont want to see that in the F class in IMPBA..... :blink: :eek: :blink: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Hallam said:
Working on a 20 foot rigger, 3 feet wide.  Sponsons will be 8 feet long.  Twin counter rotating drive shafts.  Engine will have about 6500 hp.  Runs in top fuel.This will be the first ever attempt with this design. Boat will weigh 800 pounds less than conventional 1/4 mile drag boat.

80296[/snapback]

only 3 feet wide? sounds like the H2O version of drag racings fuel altereds. :eek: :blink: :eek: :blink: :eek: :blink:

seems kind of dangerous if you drive it, and it seems even more dangerous if you make it rc. that is going to be loads of fun when you finish it though :D

Wow Mike, you're really going to drive it? Totally bad dude! It'll be a bear to hand launch though! :D

I'd drive over to Canada to see you run it. Keep us updated.

WOW

Please be careful Mike.

I would love to come out to London to see it run.

What are you going to use for sponson booms ?

Tim Kish

I agree with Scott. In the history of this crazy obsession only one man has lived to tell the story, that being Aussie Ken Warby I think @ 512kph. That's quiet amazing because many people have tried, some have past the record but have never brought themselves back to shore alive. Actually Ken Warby must have had the Gods looking down on him because he actually hit a duck on one attempt and it almost pulled the rudder of the back of the boat. It was really bent up bad. Lee Taylor hit a ski that was adrift in the water somewhere, so even if you've got the Tech side of things sorted out there's no guarantee. VERY dangerous stuff. At least you never have to worry about whether or not you have enough power to get the job done.

I remember back in the late 70s that Marty Davis built about a 10 or 12ft crapshooter that he had outside his workshop. I wonder what ever happened with that?

Don B)

The space shuttle is air (and water) tight right? Why not just drop it in the water and light it. Would go faster than 317 MPH I would think!! :lol:

" Two mem look out through the same bars; one sees mud and one sees stars."

- Frederrick Lanngbridge

" All glory comes from daring to begin." -Eugene F. Ware

Mike, stay foucsed, go for it. B) B)

Interesting Mike. In a scary kind of way... :blink:

Definitely keep us posted. You gonna have Robin paint it pink for ya? :p

Wow.... Incredible, I cant imagine even beginning, good luck with this thing. I cant wait to see this sucker go. I think it will get a few looks ;)

Phil B) :blink: :D

This boat is being built in London, Ontario, Canada. I figured I could paint it pink and then Robin could retire her Circus Circus!!!!!!! I don't intend to drive this weapon although I figure it should be safer to drive than the top fuelers running today. We tried the twin props on a conventional hull and it really shot out of the hole flat........well at least a lot flatter than boats with one prop. Top speeds are now higher and hopefully this boat will not want to act like a hovercraft towards the end of the track. Still wondering if it needs rear sponsons to come off the line quicker???? Here's a couple more pictures. Rudder will hang between the props.

Sorry. I added the first picture twice. I guess the second picture is too large to attach. I'll have to change the size and send it later.

In the history of this crazy obsession only one man has lived to tell the story, that being Aussie Ken Warby I think @ 512kph. That's quiet amazing because many people have tried, some have past the record but have never brought themselves back to shore alive.
The above really doesn't apply in this case - is he even going for a SAW record, or just a 1/4 mile record? The outrigger in question is a propeller-driven hydro, and the number of fatalities is this section of the sport is very low....in fact few have died in prop-driven boats making SAW attempts. The current mile record was set in 2000 at 205.494 mph by an Unlimited hydro, and the current kilo record was set by the Miss Bud last year at 220.49 mph. Last I checked, both drivers are alive and well. The previous record holder, Ron Duby, outlived his record (set in 1962) by 37 years.
Now, the above is not to say that the subject outrigger is safe and that the driver will survive his speed attempt. Doubling the horsepower of an Unlimited hydroplane in a much smaller format hull without testing a proof-of-concept design first is foolhardy IMO, but heck, I'm not driving it. I wish everyone involved in the project good luck and a safe return to the beach.

Latest posts

Back