Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo

What engine

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 seaducerpete

seaducerpete

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Going to build a gas mono what do you recommend for a motor

#2 Tony Jacuzzi

Tony Jacuzzi

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

Pete PM sent

#3 Dennis Somers

Dennis Somers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket, but Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

We can and have built Pioneers from < 27ccs. to 30.5ccs. for everything from 36" Sprint cats ( 100+ MPH SAW ) to 60+" offshore ocean racers ( Burmuda, Florida ). These are NOT finicky, high strung, touchy, PITAs. They start very easily, launch quickly, and pull to whatever you prop them to. Turn-around time on our work is not fast ( we are in Canada ), but you get back an entirely different animal.

For more info you can check out the thread " Modified Quick Draws " on the Manufacturer's for sale forum on JRCBD, and I have a few pics in the Member's Gallery here.

If you want to start with a Zenoah based engine, there are lots of modifiers all over the States. Two of the finest builders you will ever find are Matthew ( M&D Racing Engines ) and Carlo ( CC Racing Engines ).

Edited by Dennis Somers, 20 October 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#4 Buckshot

Buckshot

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

PETE! Get a hold of Lamar Huff In ATL. Good, Powerful, Reliable and Priced Right. 

#5 P THOMAS

P THOMAS

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

this is the CCpromod I have

http://www.ccracinge...ategory=3846113

#6 Gilbert Pun

Gilbert Pun

Boater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:21 AM

I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the QD Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket. Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

We can and have built Pioneers from < 27ccs. to 30.5ccs. for everything from 36" Sprint cats ( 100+ MPH SAW ) to 60+" offshore ocean racers ( Burmuda, Florida ). These are NOT finicky, high strung, touchy, PITAs. They start very easily, launch quickly, and pull to whatever you prop them to. Turn-around time on our work is not fast ( we are in Canada ), but you get back an entirely different animal.

For more info you can check out the thread " Modified Quick Draws " on the Manufacturer's for sale forum on JRCBD, and I have a few pics in the Member's Gallery here.

If you want to start with a Zenoah based engine, there are lots of modifiers all over the States. Two of the finest builders you will ever find are Matthew ( M&D Racing Engines ) and Carlo ( CC Racing Engines ).

Dennis, you have P/M.

#7 Stuart Barr

Stuart Barr

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

Pete,

I really like my CMB 27.  You have seen it run.

Stu

#8 Joe Warren

Joe Warren

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

just received my Seaducer 47 Hull for the NEW CMB Alpha 27. 

#9 rhomodel

rhomodel

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

How deep are your pockets and what class do you want to run?

#10 Scott Tonak

Scott Tonak

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the QD Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket. Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

Dennis, have you ever sent one of your mod pioneers to quickdraw for a dyno test? Curious to see a dynograph and how it compares to a stock Qd.

#11 Dennis Somers

Dennis Somers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hi Scott. Thanks for your interest.

No we have not. We like the "on water dyno" LOL.

Edited by Dennis Somers, 17 October 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#12 Scott Tonak

Scott Tonak

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Dennis. I'm a proponent of "on the water" test over dyno myself. However, it would be interesting to see a side by side dynograph taken from the same dyno. From what you're claiming, the difference should be pretty significant and knowing the constant r&d Quickdraw puts into their engine program, one would think they had figured that out. I have a few stock Qd's that are simply awesome engines but if you can turn them into "entirely different animals", you have my attention. I'd just like to see some proof by comparison. I'll check out your thread on Jim's.

#13 Hydro Junkie

Hydro Junkie

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Pete,

I really like my CMB 27.  You have seen it run.

Stu

Stu, I've seen video of your CMB running in a rigger.  While it does look really good, I'm just wondering if it has the torque needed to push a gas scale or mono in the same way. Any thoughts on this?

#14 Dennis Somers

Dennis Somers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

I understand completely Scott, and I agree that the stock Pioneers are great motors.

Enjoy your Pioneers.

Edited by Dennis Somers, 17 October 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#15 Randy Rapedius

Randy Rapedius

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Attached File  IMG_6458.JPG   50.93KB   17 downloads